Darkside on front only?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Darkside on front only?

Darkside on front only?

So the time has come to replace my front tire and I'm still up the air as to going darkside on the rear when the time comes.Question arises now because for Christmas my wife bought me a new front tire based on items in my wish list from a few sites. She got me the Battlax BT45 for the front because "it looked like a nice looking tire" she said. Question is.....my thinking says that running dark on the front only shouldn't present any problems but I'm asking those of you that have already switched what your opinions are. With the wealth of experience and knowledge on this site I trust that I can get answers and make an informed decision. Thanks

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by waynerock66 View Post
    So the time has come to replace my front tire and I'm still up the air as to going darkside on the rear when the time comes.Question arises now because for Christmas my wife bought me a new front tire based on items in my wish list from a few sites. She got me the Battlax BT45 for the front because "it looked like a nice looking tire" she said. Question is.....my thinking says that running dark on the front only shouldn't present any problems but I'm asking those of you that have already switched what your opinions are. With the wealth of experience and knowledge on this site I trust that I can get answers and make an informed decision. Thanks

Wayne
    The BT45 is a excellent tire! Once mounted it is 1/4" narrower than the OEM tire! That said it is a "corner carver"! Great handling in the curves and the straights, you'll have no regrets with the Ax. Make sure you keep the pressure at 40 psi or slightly above and you'll get great overall mileage!

Ride Safe

bob109

I'd have to agree with bob109, "the BT45 is an excellent tire!"
    I'm on my third and have been running it at 41psi with Ride-On tire sealant.

Darkside rear or not, you can't go wrong with BT45.
    Tim

Isn't the BT45 bias, not radial?!
    I've have always heard that mixing 'bias with radial' is a No No.
    Seems like several members here have supported that same thought.
    However, I've never read anything on this forum about any experience.. good or bad.. when mixing the two.
    Can somebody shed some light on this assumption?

Any body ever check with their insurance co. about putting a CT on a bike? Wondering if they would blame the CT for a wreck & not pay your claim.
    Just wondering?

Put it on with the arrow pointing forward, air it up and ride like the wind!

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    Any body ever check with their insurance co. about putting a CT on a bike? Wondering if they would blame the CT for a wreck & not pay your claim.
    Just wondering?
    This has been thrown around for years. The tire is DOT approved. Trikes have 2 rear car tires. Dot tire is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    Just wondering?
    The only way to get a correct answer to that is to call your insurance company and put the question to them.

So let’s see how this would go, hello Geico I’m using a DOT car tire on my rear tire. Gee I’m thinking Mr Geico going to say that’s not good. Because if he condoned it he’d be responsible! Duh!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Meh... haven't met anyone yet or heard of anyone wrecking and subsequently bursting into flames with a car tire on their bike. Present company included.

I just finished the 2020 F6B Rally with a Darkside on my bike. The Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge parkway, The Tail of the Dragon, and other twisty, curvy roads down there. Not an issue. Didn't even know it was back there, performed as good (or better) than a motorcycle tire. ESPECIALLY in the wet....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537