From NJ to Nova Scotia?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From NJ to Nova Scotia??

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    Two ways of getting to NS. Go to Portland and the take the ferry to Yarmouth, NS. You then take the coastal route to Halifax. Not much to see until you get near Halifax. Lunenberg is a must see. The other route is to go thru Maine to New Brunswick. If you go thru Calais, ME you can take NB 1 up the coast and see Bay of Fundy Park. From there you can go to Moncton to Halifax. Use caution on 104 from Sackville to Amherst. The road sits at sea level, is flat and cross winds there are often 40 mph. If you aren't ready for it, it can spook you. From there go to Halifax (make sure you visit the inner harbor where a WW I ship exploded in 1918 causing the largest man made explosion in history). Lots to see in Halifax to include signs showing the route of the American revolt in 1775.

After that follow 104 towards Cape Breton/Sidney. Stop and see some of the small towns along the way (I like Antigonish). You're in for a treat when you reach the Canso Causeway/Canal which joins Cape Breton Island to the mainland. It's majestic!! When you cross the canal in Port Hastings you now have a choice. You can take NS 4/104 up the east coast to Bras d'Or Lake (beautiful; an inland salt water sea.) on to Sydney or go up 105 and take the express route to cape Breton only. I prefer the former - you often hear people talking about Cape Breton. However, when you talk to them you find they raced up to Cape Breton and raced back again. They end up missing the best part of the island.

When you get to Sydney spend the night. It has a nice local nightlife, large a port and you can get right up close to it. Also many old World War II sites. The next day take 125/105 to Cabot Trail. You'll go north on the Trail and around the Cape and be exposed to it's classic beauty and villages. At Margaree Forks turn left on the Trail and take the road cross country to NS 105. Turn right on 105 and then you're pointed back to your home again.

If you have any questions let me know.
    Great info. One of my ridding buddies cannot handle any type of boat so your alternative route is really helpful. Thanks

I've been reading the helpful information on routes. Sorry I can't provide suggestions. However, I'm getting excited about making a similar trip.

Sorry - I have been incommunicado for the last few weeks. This is great info and really helps. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I forgot to mention - don't forget to stop at Lik-A-Chik in Sydney, NS Best chicken on the Cape!
    "... there may be more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy."

2016 Honda Goldwing F6B
    Traxxion Mega Monty

1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
    16K, all original