where to visit

Thread: where to visit

where to visit

I got a free companion airfare ticket to anywhere in the US. I was thinking I've never been to the extreme North East and spring might be a good time to go. I'm sure color change on leaves in the fall is beautiful but don't want to fight the crowds. This is not motorcycle related but more lobster roll related. So does anyone have a fav place that is a must see for a long weekend? I've never been to Maine and maybe somewhere on the coast might be fun but really know nothing about that part of the country. Wife is coming also. Open to suggestions. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I got a free companion airfare ticket to anywhere in the US. I was thinking I've never been to the extreme North East and spring might be a good time to go. I'm sure color change on leaves in the fall is beautiful but don't want to fight the crowds. This is not motorcycle related but more lobster roll related. So does anyone have a fav place that is a must see for a long weekend? I've never been to Maine and maybe somewhere on the coast might be fun but really know nothing about that part of the country. Wife is coming also. Open to suggestions. Mike
    Think all will agree Acadia Park on coast is great, I have relatives there and always love Bangor with all the old
    mansions that were built by the old lumber barons. Don't miss Steven Kings house with the bats on the old iron works.
    Don't be afraid to go to the west there are some great lakes to see and boat rides.

Mystic Seaport in Connecticut is a perfect getaway with a newly renovated Holiday Inn Express, about $65 a night. You have a marina right there with great restaurants and local shops, nice to walk through with the wife, check local temps.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Thanks for the replies. We love State and National Parks (I have a free entrance to National) and Acadia N P looks beautiful and just what I think I would like to visit. Mystic Springs, a recreated 19th century Maritime Village sounds very interesting also.

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    Think all will agree Acadia Park on coast is great, I have relatives there and always love Bangor with all the old
    mansions that were built by the old lumber barons. Don't miss Steven Kings house with the bats on the old iron works.
    Don't be afraid to go to the west there are some great lakes to see and boat rides.
    You stole my thunder...lol. Maybe even a ride up the coast by car or bike to about Bar Harbor, not much but tater fields after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Old N Grumpy View Post
    You stole my thunder...lol. Maybe even a ride up the coast by car or bike to about Bar Harbor, not much but tater fields after that.
    Well, if you have you're heart set on Acadia make sure you do it in early June. 4 million people come down here and most do it in Jul/Aug time frame and they all have to pass over a small two lane bridge to get to the island. At times, last summer, we had traffic jams backed up from the bridge almost to Bangor - that's almost 50 miles! Sometimes they were dead stopped for hours.

Personally, there are some beautiful places in rural Maine to see and you don't have to put up with the Coney Island atmosphere. Let me know if you're interested and I'll go into detail.

Went to bar harbor and acadia last year, late June...great ride. Must have been lucky like Crossbowme says - didnt have much traffic at that time of year. Highlight was when in Acadia, rode to the top and started down the mountain and got passed by a bicycle flying down the road. I was doing 45, he had to be doing 10 more than us. Dont know how he made it around those switchbacks. When I got to the bottom and couldnt find him I asked some other guys on bikes and found out he was part of a group of crazy bastards who did this on a regular basis.

I'm looking forward to Bar Harbor but will have to postpone for while. Going to the outwest rally in Aug and now another trip (Milwaukee) in July so Acadia will have to wait just a bit.