First US ride review
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First US ride review

First US ride review

First US ride review here. Interesting comment about low speed handling. Could be size of rear tire:
    http://ridermagazine.com/2018/01/22/...s-ride-review/

Nice review! The slow-speed thing could also just be experience. At first, I thought my CTX700 DCT was "sluggish" too, and I missed a clutch. But once I got used to using a bit of rear brake on slow speed maneuvers, it's as responsive as anything else. Not using a clutch and doing slow speed means little throttle, and that feels VERY slow. Putting some resistance on via the rear brake allows some use of throttle and the slow speed issues go away.

I just read that the new Honda Goldwing has screw and locknut adjusters for their unicam valve train? Supposedly makes it easier for the do-it-yourselfer?

That's a game changer for me. I hate the shim bucket type valve adjustments...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

It oughta be a crime to have this much fun on a motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I just read that the new Honda Goldwing has screw and locknut adjusters for their unicam valve train? Supposedly makes it easier for the do-it-yourselfer?

That's a game changer for me. I hate the shim bucket type valve adjustments...

I believe that it's just the exhaust side. The intakes are still shimmed and the recommended service went to 24k vs 32k. I think the Revzilla review mentions it.

Quote Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
    I believe that it's just the exhaust side. The intakes are still shimmed and the recommended service went to 24k vs 32k. I think the Revzilla review mentions it.
    Well crap. If that's true then it's not a game changer

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I haven't bought yet but for me I don't see the advantage of buying a new model vs a 2016. Did they make a 2017 or just went right to the 2018's? In any event I'm thinking by summer or earlier a 2016 will be had in the fourteens as they are in the fifteens as we speak. Lots then left for upgrades and still won't get anywhere near the price of a new one. I also like the look of the older bikes better. Just my two cents.

Old N Grumpy, I like what I hear about the engine and transmission on the new wing. However, I definitely am not in a hurry to trade in my 16 for one and start out a note that big. I'm looking forward to test riding both the 6 speed and the DCT. But buying will have to wait a couple of years to let the bugs get addressed and for depreciation to take its effects. And like you, I really like the looks of the current B's. Those saddlebags are beautiful. They strike me as a modern version of the elegant and adventurous styling of the '59 cars, the year of the fin. Plus, the bags are bigger!

Jason

I'm confused. Will an Android cell phone work with this model as well as a IPhone?