challenge coin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: challenge coin

challenge coin

Today showing a property to an older gentlemen and we were hitting it off conversation wise. We decided to exchange cards and He offers me an item like I've never had before, a challenge coin. I'm honored He gave me this and I understand I might get a free drink at a military bar somewhere if I show it at the right time. It is more important to me than just that and I hope we get together again to look at houses.
    IMG_4675.JPG IMG_4677.JPG

Don't misrepresent.

You are no 3 star General.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

A very special item indeed. Keep it safe. Taking it to the local pub and waving it around in front of GI's (much less Marines) may get you into some trouble. They make nice little desk racks for challenge coins that you can display on your desk/hutch/whatever.

Insulting Marines or any service member is the last thing I want to do. I feel it is a honor to have this coin.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Don't misrepresent.

You are no 3 star General.
    I really do not understand your response. In what way do you speak of me misrepresenting myself as a 3 star General and shaking a finger at me? That would be a terrible and wrong thing for me to do and certainly not even considered. In my understanding that being given and having the coin is a brag of such as having rubbed elbows with a high rank and I have no intention of going to military bars and flashing it around. Maybe sharing it here was a mistake. I may find a way to display it on the desk or wall in office as I hear others have done and as Draxsr suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I really do not understand your response. In what way do you speak of me misrepresenting myself as a 3 star General and shaking a finger at me? That would be a terrible and wrong thing for me to do and certainly not even considered. In my understanding that being given and having the coin is a brag of such as having rubbed elbows with a high rank and I have no intention of going to military bars and flashing it around. Maybe sharing it here was a mistake. I may find a way to display it on the desk or wall in office as I hear others have done and as Draxsr suggest.
    Thank you.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Insulting Marines or any service member is the last thing I want to do. I feel it is a honor to have this coin.
    It is an honor for sure. I have a nice collection from many years working and supporting military operations by numerous service organizations. Proud that they range from almost all branches (unfortunately did not get to work with Coast Guard) and from both tactical and strategic operations, as well as senior staffs. Working together for mission accomplishment is an amazing feeling.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

I have a drawer full of Challenge coins. They are indeed reminders of times past.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Strange, Being a Marine, Navy brat myself I have seen a few of these but always felt strange with them.
    Was lucky through my life to be introduced and know quite a few WW 2 heroes as well as Korean vets
    I guess I never really knew what these coins were all about.
    I was offered some just for being a driver on a small bus bringing Vets to the WW2 memorial in DC.
    Always told these men they had already done me enough by being on my bus.

It seems doubtful to me that anyone was going to misrepresent themselves. Who knows. I personally doubt that anyone would be inclined to try and impersonate THIS GUY. That is quite a service record, from what little I know of such things.

I get that, considering the majority of the membership here, folks can be a tad quick on the draw. What I would have expected to read, contrary to the parental-style correction, is a more straightforward explanation of the meaning behind the coin. I am sure that Gen. Pitman did not expect anyone to attempt the use the coin for anything other than proof of having met the man. Else he surely would not have offered it.

My initial take on the OP was that he must have made a fantastic personal impression on the General. In fact, that will be my only takeaway.