Star Venture Transcontinental Sit Test
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Venture Transcontinental Sit Test

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Star Venture Transcontinental Sit Test

Local Yamaha dealer finally has a unit on the floor. They called me to let me know, which I appreciate. No test ride; it is 12 degrees here today.

I am 6'1", 230 lbs, 34" inseam, beard, handsome fellow.

First thing I noticed it is big out back. Looks like it is carrying several pieces of luggage. Speaking of luggage, I brought two XL snowmobile helmets in from my car, and both easily fit in the trunk with some room left over.

Next thing I checked is the size of the bags. They open from the top, hinged on the outside. The left side bag is deeper and slightly wider than the right side. I used my HP laptop bag w/shoulder strap as a way to measure volume. It fit into the left bag, but tightly. For comparison, this laptop bag will fit into the Honda's bag about as easily...just have to stuff it into the opening of the clamshell a bit.

A thoughtful feature that Yamaha used was nicely stitched, heavy duty vinyl as a limiter for how far the lid of the bag will open. This not only protects whatever you put in there, but also folds up nicely on its own and does not take up any storage capacity. Both the the trunk and side bag lids use a large push button to operate the latch and close with a nice, quality feel.

Lots of neat little storage cubbies around the fairing...and these spaces were designed with size of modern smartphones in mind.

I sat on the bike and quickly noticed the wide tank, as some have mentioned online. I have fairly long legs, so while I noticed it, that is a fairly neutral seating position for me anyway. However, someone with shorter legs...not sure how that would feel because the rider is forced to sit like that, no choice.

The reason I am even looking at this bike is the leg room. I don't miss much from running V Twin cruisers, but space for my legs and feet is definitely one of them. LOTS of leg room, with boards that offer plenty of choice for foot placement. Other folks online on forums and videos have mentioned the handlebars being very swept back and awkward feeling; I did not notice that. They just seemed like traditional cruiser bars.

This bike is HEAVY to get off the side stand....noticeably more than the F6Bs. Flat-footing is never an issue at my height, so I didn't really pay attention to that. Others say that you sit low; I didn't really notice that, just seems like a typical cruiser.

While I would like more leg and foot room on my Honda, there is plenty of room on the seat and it has good butt and thigh support. The F6B has more seat room than the Venture. The Venture is not as tight as the 01-17 full Wing, but anyone my height has no need to move its adjustable lumbar support forward. Controls fell to hand easily. I like the max height of the adjustable windshield; right about at eye level (I would just get a Madstad anyway). As it is lowered, its track is curved so its actual drop is pretty significant. It is annoying that the switch only lowers it completely or raises it completely. Incremental adjustments need to be done on the touchscreen or with two clicks on the button.

Gauges and infotainment system look top notch.

Mirrors are much larger than typical cruisers, but smaller than our flat-6ers.

There are factory Baker wing-type deflectors which operate easily and look effective. There are vents for legs and feet for increased airflow.

Something I noticed when I put my hands on the grips...Yamaha added soft rubber to cushion one's hands as they rest against the control block on the inside of the grips. Nice touch.

Obviously, I did not ride the bike, but I honestly felt a little intimidated by its heft. Our bikes are heavy, but the weight seems a lot less noticeable, probably due to the big flat motor sitting low in the frame. I know I would feel like the Venture would want to topple over at low speeds, but I am sure it would require getting used to. The F6B is a BIG bike that feels light on its feet, and nimble. In fact, I consider that to be a strong safety feature. The best way to not have an accident is to avoid one.

A MAJOR turnoff...it requires premium fuel.

Tomorrow, I may head out to my local Honda dealer as they just got a new GW on the floor.
    Last edited by VStarRider; 02-02-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Nice write up VSR, thanks!

WEG

Thanks for your write up. I want to get a new tourer next year. However, between the higher seat/small bags on the new GW and the weight/heat of the TCT i think I may be forced to a BMW.
    "... there may be more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy."

2016 Honda Goldwing F6B
    Traxxion Mega Monty

1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
    16K, all original

Good info. I do like the looks of that bike but premium gas is a bummer.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Quote Originally Posted by DaWadd View Post
    Good info. I do like the looks of that bike but premium gas is a bummer.
    I did some quick math...

50,000 miles / 45 mpg: 1,111 gals.

Premium costs about $.50 more per gallon.

1,111x.50: $556 over 50,000 miles, or $69/year for 8 years (assuming ~6000 miles per season).

So, I guess it isn't too big of a deal ... I just like that I can put regular ol' 87 in my Honda and still get 40-45 mpg.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I did some quick math...

50,000 miles / 45 mpg: 1,111 gals.

Premium costs about $.50 more per gallon.

1,111x.50: $556 over 50,000 miles, or $69/year for 8 years (assuming ~6000 miles per season).

So, I guess it isn't too big of a deal ... I just like that I can put regular ol' 87 in my Honda and still get 40-45 mpg.
    Unless one travels across the country a few times a year, I for one cannot see where Premium gas would be an issue for me in purchasing a $25,000+ motorcycle...Granted it might cost a couple bucks more, but if you can afford that expensive of a bike, I guess one could give up a couple of extra cheesburgers and a beer or two and not worry about the fuel costs as most bikes get 35-45 mpg anyhow....JMHO

Does the BMW REQUIRE premium gas regarding pre-ignition OR does it require it to achieve the HP rating? Germans are good at putting Premium required for max HP but many will run on regular and the HP drops down. I doubt, IMO, that the BMW has to have premium to run. My old VW Vanagon with the VR6 engine stated the same, that it needed high test gas. The service tech back then told me that was for max HP and run it on mid grade or worse if necessary. It ran fine on either.

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    Does the BMW REQUIRE premium gas regarding pre-ignition OR does it require it to achieve the HP rating? Germans are good at putting Premium required for max HP but many will run on regular and the HP drops down. I doubt, IMO, that the BMW has to have premium to run. My old VW Vanagon with the VR6 engine stated the same, that it needed high test gas. The service tech back then told me that was for max HP and run it on mid grade or worse if necessary. It ran fine on either.
    I think this is pretty much the case. I have a VW GTI which the manual says requires premium. According to the GTI Forum, it will run just fine on a lower octane except the computer makes adjustments in the timing to avoid detonation but at a small sacrifice in HP. I wouldn't know since mine has never had any gas other than Shell V-Power and all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Unless one travels across the country a few times a year, I for one cannot see where Premium gas would be an issue for me in purchasing a $25,000+ motorcycle...Granted it might cost a couple bucks more, but if you can afford that expensive of a bike, I guess one could give up a couple of extra cheesburgers and a beer or two and not worry about the fuel costs as most bikes get 35-45 mpg anyhow....JMHO
    Not really a deal breaker.
    2013 F6B in black of course

I wonder if the Venture needs high octane to help control detonation in hot running environments...and/or to squeeze a few more ponies out of what is a low compression engine.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6