Star Venture Transcontinental Sit Test - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Venture Transcontinental Sit Test

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Unless one travels across the country a few times a year, I for one cannot see where Premium gas would be an issue for me in purchasing a $25,000+ motorcycle...Granted it might cost a couple bucks more, but if you can afford that expensive of a bike, I guess one could give up a couple of extra cheesburgers and a beer or two and not worry about the fuel costs as most bikes get 35-45 mpg anyhow....JMHO
    Not really a deal breaker.
    2013 F6B in black of course

I did sit on the new Yamaha Eluder at the dealership. Sort of like a F6B with a v-twin, has a cool touch screen, gauges look good. The comments about premium fuel required gets my attention, as I am with Honda on this one, drive on 86 octane!

I don't know how many times I am riding with people on their big V and I am smoking by slow moving traffic on two lane highways, that is why I tell them the big mirrors on the F6B are there because that is where I am going to be watching for THEM to complete the same pass.

But what really makes me like the Honda's 86 octane requirement, is that at times we need to get fuel while driving on these back roads. Guess what, they need to find 91 and we can't!!!! I don't know how many times we have to figure out the exact range from their motorcycle to make it to another town that MAY have 91. Usually not. they put in the 87 ethanol mix and if it is hot out, their engines ping like a pig in the acceleration phase.

Damage? Who knows, they trade their Harley's before they get 5,000 miles on them. My Indian buddies don't seem to have the same amount of ping, my understanding is the computer is better at retarding the spark. For me, I don't worry about anything. 300,000 mile engine if you ride a lot, and never a concern about damaging the engine by running regular pump gas.

A V twin motor does offer some advantages. They provide a lot of practical power (low end torque), don't take up precious leg room, and provide a nice sound (just an opinion).

However, in my opinion, there are just as many disadvantages...and the balance gets tipped when they are air-cooled. Sure, less maintenance, fewer parts, but they get hot; they ping when running at high temps and lose power; the thud-thud-thud (or potato-potato-potato) gets annoying; you have to be a licensed surgeon to get to the valve covers.

As for dumping 87 in it instead of 91, we will have to wait for reports from the field to know for sure. It is a Yamaha, so I am sure their technology will have a way to compensate for faster burning fuel.

Yamaha really should have liquid cooled this engine. Their 1300 is liquid cooled, and despite 500 fewer cc's, I think it makes the same horsepower.

I get the market they are going after, the culture, the nostalgia, their market research that indicates the 50-60 year old cruiser buyer insists on air-cooling ... but, come on, too much sacrifice to get the look.

Yet, I still have my eye on one, and it will be interesting to ride a Venture and see how it feels with me behind the bars; but on paper, there are some turnoffs.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I think the Yamaha is a good looking machine.. Yamaha makes great motorcycles, just didn't think they needed to chase the air-cooled V-twin market. Thats ok, not my style anyways. I had a V-twin once but it was a Honda.2016-04-20 21.04.07.jpg.
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

Quote Originally Posted by broncsrule21 View Post
    I think the Yamaha is a good looking machine.. Yamaha makes great motorcycles, just didn't think they needed to chase the air-cooled V-twin market. Thats ok, not my style anyways. I had a V-twin once but it was a Honda.2016-04-20 21.04.07.jpg.
    I owned two 1100 Yamaha V's and they were as good as that engine configuration can be. Smooth, decent low end torque, no heat issues (probably due to low compression; I don't think it even required more than 87 octane).

The air-cooled twin market is mostly veteran riders; seems as though most under 50 are going for adventure, dual-purpose bikes, or more sophisticated / efficient touring setups. Seems strange to me that they would invest this much into a market that is at the end of their bike buying years, not in the middle or beginning.

I want to ride this bike and see what it is all about. The wide tank may bother me, plus it just feels bulky. Maybe that is different once underway. I need to feel comfortable throwing a bike around in an evasive maneuver in order relax while out riding.

As for heat, I live and ride in upstate NY; we only get a couple dozen days above 85 F most years anyway, and I ride on state and county highways with little traffic so engine heat in hot temps and stop and go traffic are not really factors for me.
    Last edited by VStarRider; 02-07-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I think it's a decent looking bike, and I usually like anything on two wheels anyway. But I feel like they missed a cool opportunity to use the Vmax engine in a touring configuration. Small, powerful, water cooled, balanced. Could've been a great contender for a lightweight but very sturdy tourer.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    I think it's a decent looking bike, and I usually like anything on two wheels anyway. But I feel like they missed a cool opportunity to use the Vmax engine in a touring configuration. Small, powerful, water cooled, balanced. Could've been a great contender for a lightweight but very sturdy tourer.

Jason
    Exactly.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Double

Hondas and Kawis and Zukis and Yammys...Oh my!