Gear Position Indicator
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear Position Indicator

Gear Position Indicator

I was on Wingstuff looking at the HealTech Gear Position Indicator. As I've installed their brake light modulator, I am fairly happy with the quality of HealTech stuff as well as the general build quality.

However, in the review section for this thing someone mentions that there is a better unit than the HealTech. BUT...they don't say what it is or provide any reference or link.

SO....anyone put in the HealTech unit or any other unit?

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

Installed the Healtech shortly after buying my bike new back in 2015. One of the better accessories I've installed. The nay-sayers have their opinions as I've read elsewhere but I love it. You can't believe how many times I've turned a corner and didn't know if I was in second or third. A glance at the gear position indicator does the trick. Had a factory indicator on my last bike, a VFR1200, but why mother Honda didn't include it on the GL is a mystery to me. I believe the new Goldwings have it also. Ordered it thru Wing Stuff but as I recall was drop-shipped from the manufacturer. Simple install, just route the wire and plug it into the diagnostic port under the seat. Anyway, I love it and recommend it.

Click on the image to enlarge.

20180207_111614.jpg

I was very surprised that the bike just didnt have a gear indicator factory.

I bought a Healtech unit. It works just fine for me. My only complaint is that it goes blank when you pull the clutch.

I have mine mounted behind the left side speaker grill

My G/F & I have ones we got from Blue Monkey (she rides a Scout) they work just great. I'd have to walk up to the shop to tell you who made them. Blue Monkey is a small M/C tech operation, great customer service. Answered my question & stayed on the phone to make sure I had found the right plug-in connector. I was very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dweisman429 View Post
    I was very surprised that the bike just didnt have a gear indicator factory.

I bought a Healtech unit. It works just fine for me. My only complaint is that it goes blank when you pull the clutch.

I have mine mounted behind the left side speaker grill
    Im not really surprised. Its a five speed with an overdrive indicator. So, you should know when you are in first gear, the bike tells you when you are in fifth gear. That leaves three gears to figure out.... Not to hard IMHO. But, to each their own Healtech makes a quality product.
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

I wish the search function would work with the archives of information we used to have from the old site. We have lost a trove of treasure if it is not migrated over to this new site. I install a gear indicator with pic's, instructions, tips, etc... now seemingly lost

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Even better idea...broncsrule21 is added to my ignore list. Sorry for the original response
    Last edited by Dweisman429; 02-10-2018 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I wish the search function would work with the archives of information we used to have from the old site. We have lost a trove of treasure if it is not migrated over to this new site. I install a gear indicator with pic's, instructions, tips, etc... now seemingly lost

I replied with this earlier...but apparently, all of it took a runner.....

Yes, I remember that there had been quite a bit on the topic awhile back. However, I wasn't able to find it when I looked for it the other day.

I had been hoping that someone might know what this other unit was. The fellow that mentioned seemed to be of the opinion that it was significantly better than the HealTexh. But.....he didn't bother to say why he thought it better, or even what it was.

....sT
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

FYI

Blue Monkey Motorsports sells the Healtech
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dweisman429 View Post
    Since you quoted my reply and then seemed to bash my opinion and my ability to determine what gear I have my bike in I would like to extend to you a big FU.

Not only that, but your entire useful contribution to the original question was this...

...and im fairly confident that had already been stated.

I dont really care if you think a bike needs a gear indicator or not...
    And I don't care what you like either...we are even
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa