Extended Warranty - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extended Warranty

In My Experience, A Waste of Money

I've had an extended warranty on 3 motorcycles, a car, and a truck. On the bikes I never used it. And it isn't like I don't ride -- on my '98 Valkyrie, I had ridden over 100,000 miles when Honda's 7 years of coverage expired.

For my car and truck I have used the warranty, but in both cases the cost of the warranty exceeded the cost of the covered repairs, even including the free rental car they provided. The 'peace of mind' was nice, but that came with a price! It's been said the manufacturers don't sell these to lose money, and my experience has validated that.

If you do buy one, make sure you shop for a good price online, because the markup for the dealer is huge. I've always found that you can get the exact same manufacturer's extended plan from online dealer for about half the list price. That's the same for cars and trucks. I got my Ford ESP warranty from a dealer in Minnesota for half of what the dealer quoted.

All the extended warranty's I have purchased and never used add up to a nice large down payment on a new Wing.Some people need the peace of mind they feel a warranty gives them and I say if that floats your boat go for it.Me I'm done with them and all the dollars lost..My larger concern is that how many Honda dealers have a real well paid certified Goldwing mechanic on staff warranty or not?Thats the real crap shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Struggled with it myself and decided to not get it. For a strange Florida reason it is more expensive in my state than elsewhere and you can't purchase it out of state as per Florida. Another factor is I have an 03 VTX in my garage with over 50K miles that has never been to a shop for any repair in 14 years. Honda quality I think. I would not be happy with paying 399 to buy and needing a repair of 350. Sounds like a 49 dollar loss to me. Plus with the warranty you have to stay on top of the Honda required maintenance and checkups which I think are excessive.
    You can physically take your bike to an out of state dealer and get a Warranty if you live in FL. You just cannot buy a warranty online or on the phone if you live in FL. I bought my warranty in NC where I ride in warm weather, live in Orlando. One Orlando area dealer wanted $1300 for the warranty......

I was told it depended on where the bike was registered. Is yours Florida or NC?

Extended Warranty in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    Can they sell it to me in Canada? Anyone know?
    Terry, I tried to get it in Canada. I called Honda USA and Honda in Russellville. No joy. The bike has to be registered in the USA to qualify. Although if you're touring in Canada on a US bike, they will cover the repairs under warranty. I imported a US bike years ago from Harley. They honoured the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I was told it depended on where the bike was registered. Is yours Florida or NC?
    I bought my bike new in Brookhaven Mississippi, rode it home and registered it in Orange county...... Insurance regulations simply are made to protect the old folks from getting scammed online or on the phone from out of state insurance companies, which is what a warranty is. You have to take your bike to the out of state dealer where he can see it if it is registered in FL when you are purchasing the warranty. Some out of state dealers don't understand the law as written and won't sell you one.... Call Blue Ridge Powersports in VA.... Call Honda warranty division... All Fl dealers will tell you only they can sell you one.

+ For Extended Warranty

I bought a used 1986 Honda CBC-650 in 1989 from the from the original owner who bought a new bike. The 650 was sitting at the dealer on consignment, still in original owner's name. As I was deciding whether to buy the used bike or a new one, the dealer told the original owner and me that the original owner could still get the 3 year extended warranty for $200, extending the original 3 year warranty. It was the best deal ever. Because while it was a fantastic riding bike it had all sorts of issues. In the three years I owned it both front fork seals leaked, some chain inside the engine broke and the carburetor kept clogging until they replaced the fuel tank (which had rusted). The warranty was limited to the full value of the bike, which when I sold it was about $2,000. The chain inside the engine required the engine to be opened up and would have cost me about $1,500. Aside from the repair itself, the warranty paid for the tow from the breakdown spot. When the engine chain broke I was 250 miles from home. They shipped the bike back to my home dealer for repairs. Ever since I've always gotten the extended warranty if it was available. While no other bike has been as unreliable as that Honda, the extended warranty on my 650 Burgman paid for the crazy drive system/transmission that bike had to be resealed when it started leaking with 17,000 miles on the odo. In 2009 Suzuki was only offering a 12,000 mile warranty, so I paid up for an unlimited mileage +3 years (total 4 years) warranty on that bike. As I recall the repair to the Suzuki was about the cost of the warranty. One thing I do recall was that the dealer was a strong advocate for me (on both bikes) in dealing with the warranty. (as they should have been, I guess).

Interesting perspectives here.

However, I am curious ... if it is May 2020, and you are looking to buy my 2013 F6B with 30k miles on it, does the 2.5 years of extended Honda warranty remaining make it more attractive, or a non-factor? If yes, does it make it worth more?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

An additional 2.5 years and unlimited mileage warranty would make it more attractive to me. I put lots of miles on my bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Interesting perspectives here.

However, I am curious ... if it is May 2020, and you are looking to buy my 2013 F6B with 30k miles on it, does the 2.5 years of extended Honda warranty remaining make it more attractive, or a non-factor? If yes, does it make it worth more?
    Doesn't make it worth more to me, but is a great selling point. You never know how a bike was treated when buying used. Lots of misuse can be hidden so 2.5 years of warranty can help.