Rode the new 2018 today....

Thread: Rode the new 2018 today....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well, first day out this year, after 4 friggin months of rain, and my ride found me down at the local Honda dealer. You know, just to look at the new 'wing.... Imagine my surprise minutes after arriving, when the very first 2018 they had, rolled in from it's post PDI shakedown run! 8 km's on it, and I was offered the very first test ride! Obviously, I couldn't refuse! So, it was only a short hop in a busy urban setting, but I do have a couple of observations.. First of all, the main difference is the technology... You either like that or not, but the interface between the rider and machine is sooo different. From the keyless start to the different ride modes and all of the accessories, it is a whole new game, to be sure. I only had a 30 second briefing prior to the ride, so I can't comment on how intuitive every thing is, because that wouldn't be fair. But I'm pretty sure half an hour with the manual, and all would be clear. But my 20 minutes told me; 1 - it is definitely louder and more aggressive sounding (I like my stock 2013 better), 2 - the different ride modes seem a waste of time, 3 - it doesn't feel any lighter, or faster (but as we know, it is both), 4 - the sound system seems a little better, but certainly not by an order of magnitude and, lastly - it does not fill me with lust the way our F6B's did when we first saw them. I like the direct connection the old tech gives, and can't see spending 20k (if I was to trade in my bike) for the, frankly, annoying new interface. Despite all the cool shit that comes with it... So, yes, it is certainly meant to attract a younger rider, and it probably will. And I also realize that I am getting old and grumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    Well, first day out this year, after 4 friggin months of rain, and my ride found me down at the local Honda dealer. You know, just to look at the new 'wing.... Imagine my surprise minutes after arriving, when the very first 2018 they had, rolled in from it's post PDI shakedown run! 8 km's on it, and I was offered the very first test ride! Obviously, I couldn't refuse! So, it was only a short hop in a busy urban setting, but I do have a couple of observations.. First of all, the main difference is the technology... You either like that or not, but the interface between the rider and machine is sooo different. From the keyless start to the different ride modes and all of the accessories, it is a whole new game, to be sure. I only had a 30 second briefing prior to the ride, so I can't comment on how intuitive every thing is, because that wouldn't be fair. But I'm pretty sure half an hour with the manual, and all would be clear. But my 20 minutes told me; 1 - it is definitely louder and more aggressive sounding (I like my stock 2013 better), 2 - the different ride modes seem a waste of time, 3 - it doesn't feel any lighter, or faster (but as we know, it is both), 4 - the sound system seems a little better, but certainly not by an order of magnitude and, lastly - it does not fill me with lust the way our F6B's did when we first saw them. I like the direct connection the old tech gives, and can't see spending 20k (if I was to trade in my bike) for the, frankly, annoying new interface. Despite all the cool shit that comes with it... So, yes, it is certainly meant to attract a younger rider, and it probably will. And I also realize that I am getting old and grumpy.
    Agree with you 100%..I love my F6B and see no reason to spend a lot of money for a bunch of "whistles and bells", that for the most part, no one needs and just adds extra confusion and distractions for the riding enjoyment...Guess I am also getting old and grumpy!!!.....Ride safe