Rode the new 2018 today.... - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rode the new 2018 today....

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_328 View Post
    Glad to see your review. your experience supports 90% of others who have rode a F6B to the 2018 that there is an improvement, but not so much that it would warrant a new purchase
    To many moving parts to have right the first time!
    2015 Matt Grey F6B Deluxe - Gloria
    2011 BMW K 1300S - Stella
    2000 Triumph Sprint ST - Trixie
    2000 Ducati Monster 900 - Monster
    1985 HD FXRS (Still in the Shop as a reminder) - Frita
    1984 HD XLX - The First

After reading the forum posts and outside reviews, I stopped at my local dealer this afternoon to check out the new Goldwing as well. I had pretty much decided that I would probably upgrade from the F6B before I arrived... but then found myself underwhelmed. The first thing that struck me was the narrow width. I felt like the fairing would do little to protect the rider from the wind and rain. A big deal if you try to ride in the winter. It was noticeably lighter-- and surprisingly that didn't seem quite right either. I've guess that I have come to appreciate the feeling of a big bike like the '6B, a general feeling of solidness and stability I guess. I'm not as tall as some who have commented before me, but I didn't thing the foot peg positioning was really that comfortable. I also immediately remembered the original F6B seat as I sat on the new model; not much give, and my legs are not long enough to sit back against the built in rise of the seat comfortably. I was really disappointed with the saddle bag capacity as well. The latches to that and the top box seemed, well, cheap. Had to close them hard to get them to catch.

I was looking forward to the new suspension, the electronics, the automatic transmission; however, I sat down on a new 2016 F6B in the showroom to think for a minute and realized that I really like what I have now. The dealership didn't have a 2018 to demo ride so I don't have all the information possible. As others have commented, I am just not sure that I am willing to to pony up another 15K+ and possibly not have something better than what we already know and love. Time will tell; maybe as my F6B gets older the newer model with grow on me. I just may give the BMW K1600 Grand America a look in the meantime.
    Last edited by ghost; 02-28-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    After reading the forum posts and outside reviews, I stopped at my local dealer this afternoon to check out the new Goldwing as well. I had pretty much decided that I would probably upgrade from the F6B before I arrived... but then found myself underwhelmed. The first thing that struck me was the narrow width. I felt like the fairing would do little to protect the rider from the wind and rain. A big deal if you try to ride in the winter. It was noticeably lighter-- and surprisingly that didn't seem quite right either. I've guess that I have come to appreciate the feeling of a big bike like the '6B, a general feeling of solidness and stability I guess. I'm not as tall as some who have commented before me, but I didn't thing the foot peg positioning was really that comfortable. I also immediately remembered the original F6B seat as I sat on the new model; not much give, and my legs are not long enough to sit back against the built in rise of the seat comfortably. I was really disappointed with the saddle bag capacity as well. The latches to that and the top box seemed, well, cheap. Had to close them hard to get them to catch.

I was looking forward to the new suspension, the electronics, the automatic transmission; however, I sat down on a new 2016 F6B in the showroom to think for a minute and realized that I really like what I have now. The dealership didn't have a 2018 to demo ride so I don't have all the information possible. As others have commented, I am just not sure that I am willing to to pony up another 15K+ and possibly not have something better than what we already know and love. Time will tell; maybe as my F6B gets older the newer model with grow on me. I just may give the BMW K1600 Grand America a look in the meantime.
    Hey ghost, I have no interest in pushing you towards buying a new Wing, as I'm not doing that either, at least until the reliability has been proven and depreciation takes its toll. However, even though I can appreciate your impressions, and agree with them to an extent, I would encourage you to ride one before you solidify your opinion. The proof really is in the ride on that bike. Plus, I would really like to hear some comparisons between the ride of it and the K1600B, since I haven't had the chance to ride the BMW.

Jason

Agreed Verismo. I think the BMW is quite similar to the 2018 Wing, so I may have the same reservations with that! Hope to ride both before long. I've gotten spoiled by the F6B.

Great impressions and my sentiments at this point..I was not all that impressed with the GW Tour/DCT that I sat on at my dealer last week and after riding my 2013 F6B Deluxe, with all the extras I have installed/spent..I stood back in my garage looking at the bike I love, and said to myself, "What the hell do I need a new bike for"?? As I get older, 78 now, I surely don't need more "whistles, bells, electronic garbage, and more debt!!!....Others may disagree with me, but that is what choice is all about...Regards and ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Great impressions and my sentiments at this point..I was not all that impressed with the GW Tour/DCT that I sat on at my dealer last week and after riding my 2013 F6B Deluxe, with all the extras I have installed/spent..I stood back in my garage looking at the bike I love, and said to myself, "What the hell do I need a new bike for"?? As I get older, 78 now, I surely don't need more "whistles, bells, electronic garbage, and more debt!!!....Others may disagree with me, but that is what choice is all about...Regards and ride safe
    You doing great riding F6B at 78. At 60, you give me much cause for optimism
    2016 F6B
    2011 C14
    2003 C10

It seems like a lot of people mention the saddlebags are hard to close. In my humble opinion it is like most things, it's all in the technique. You don't close the bags hard or slam them with your hands. I lift the lid with my hand until it makes contact with the bike. Then since the side of my leg is right next to the lid anyway I just lean into the lid with my leg and body weight until it clicks. I takes no effort at all after you figure it out and works smoothly every time. It works on all of my bikes with the clamshell lid. Try it before you make too much fun of me.

Have any of the demo riders noted the accuracy of the speedo?

Happened to be in the Twin Cities w/some time to burn so went to Tousleys to look at the Goldwing, Had a red Goldwing and a blue touring, looked nice, did not sit on either, and to cold for a test ride, maybe when it warms up. what's the point. Didn't see anything that would really make me want one, at least the 1st year and $20,000 +.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

The automatic transmission and new technology improvements are great. I didn’t like the feel, narrow width, or height of the new DCT Wing I rode today. I felt so much better riding home on my old ‘13 F6B with Mustang seat. 41,000 miles and smiles on my old red beast and looking forward to many more.