Rode the new 2018 today.... - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rode the new 2018 today....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    No argument about the top end of the C14, deb99, but I had the opposite impression about the Concour's torque down low. I still had my 99 Valkyrie at the time I test rode a new C14(2014), and I was severely unimpressed with the overall vibration and lack of low end grunt. I still like the Concours, but I couldn't wait to get back on the Valk after that ride. And other than the rider triangle being more confined, the F6b is an even smoother version of the Valk.

Jason
    Jason - could not fault you on the '99 Valkyrie but it really does not compare with the performance of the C14. Not sure about the vibration you mentioned, but maybe there were probably some other issues with the one you rode. Cruizing at 110mph presented no vibration issues on the one I rode, and even without "low-end grunt", it was a great ride. Anyway, that "confined rider triangle" you mentioned on the C14 became an big issue after an hour of riding. Highway pegs helped a bit but not too much.

Reason for switch to F6B was a result the great reviews it received about it's performance and not being able to test it myself. I have since come to more fully appreciate the performance difference between sport-touring and touring-sport. After my test ride, I see the 2018 Goldwing fitting the mold of sport-touring. The issues uncovered so far I am sure will be covered under warranty. For now, I have to decide to accept trunk limitation and see what after-market options become available. If I am going to make switch, figure I'll do it now if I receive good offer on 2016 F6B since price for F6B will continue to fall from near $15k it presently commands.
    Just my 2c, but be sure to keep your ride safe.
    2016 F6B
    2011 C14
    2003 C10

With my 29” inseam on my F6B I’m nearly tip toed. When I sat on the 2018, for me it was much taller than my F6B. I am truly touching just the boot tips on the 2018. Because of the extra height the 2018 felt a lot heavier for me to get off the side stand and standing up right. I will test ride a 2018 just to try one out.

The automatic transmission and new technology improvements are great. I didn’t like the feel, narrow width, or height of the new DCT Wing I rode today. I felt so much better riding home on my old ‘13 F6B with Mustang seat. 41,000 miles and smiles on my old red beast and looking forward to many more.

Wonder if anybody is able top provide comparison between the 2018 Goldwing and the BMW K1600 GTL...
    2016 F6B
    2011 C14
    2003 C10

test rode the 2018 dct. Waiting for some other comments on radio. notch 30 under full face, 85mph, could not come close to hearing the radio. to make matters worse, local channel that comes in clear on f6b full of static. The radio sounded loud sitting still. Could not even hear the back speakers at hwy speeds. I did not adjust the settings before ride so just went with whatever the dealer had set up....any other radio volume complaints???
    When the world seems to be working against you. Drop everything and go for a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by keller123 View Post
    test rode the 2018 dct. Waiting for some other comments on radio. notch 30 under full face, 85mph, could not come close to hearing the radio. to make matters worse, local channel that comes in clear on f6b full of static. The radio sounded loud sitting still. Could not even hear the back speakers at hwy speeds. I did not adjust the settings before ride so just went with whatever the dealer had set up....any other radio volume complaints???
    Audio is best when used with a Sena or Cardo connected to the bike. Apple Car Play or Internet radio makes this bike a pleasure.

Personally I have never rated a bike based on audio performance as it is very low on my list of luxuries.

Ride, handling, power and the DCT make this bike a winner. I have owned 2 F6B's and a 2018 Goldwing Bagger 6spd and now have a 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT. The F6B is a great bike but the 2018 is motorcycling on a whole new level.

For those who love their F6B I fully support your love for the bike as I loved both of mine and never imagined it could get better.........it did with the 2018 Tour DCT.

Beagle

I have owned a lot of "Touring" bikes - 2009 HD Roadglide, 1999 Valkyrie Interstate, 2013 F6B, 2008 Road King Classic, 2013 BMWK1600GLT, 2013 Victory Vision and 2018 Goldwing Tour. I had the BMW K & the F6B at the same time. Loved the K for its power and handling. Only reason sold it was due to the leg angle - my arthritic knees could not stay in that position very long. Of all the bikes I ever owned, I thought the K1600GLT was about as good a bike you could ride with the F6B a close second. However, last year I traded in the F6B for the new Wing at Track N Trail in College Park, Pa. That is also where I bought the F6B. I live 300 miles from the place but their deals are so good, it makes the long ride worth it. The new Wing Tour (manual) is every bit as good as the BMW K1600GLT. May not have the hp of the K but it is plenty, especially in Sport mode. The handling is on par, if not better, due to the Wing lower center of gravity. I sometimes do miss the F6B for its lower seating position and more laid back ride. My Victory Vision actually reminds me a little of the F6B. The bottom line is that I have absolutely no regrets trading in the F6B for the new Wing as I believe it to be the better bike but the F6B is still a great bike.

I had the opposite experience, Keller. I have the stock radio on the F6b, and I don't have problems with it, either. My standards are pretty moderated, though, since I'd never had a radio on a bike before the B. The radio on the new DCT that I rode was even easier to hear than the B at highway speeds. However, I always ride with ear plugs, which helps tremendously. If you don't, maybe there's a different level of background noise on the new Wing that's interfering?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    I had the opposite experience, Keller. I have the stock radio on the F6b, and I don't have problems with it, either. My standards are pretty moderated, though, since I'd never had a radio on a bike before the B. The radio on the new DCT that I rode was even easier to hear than the B at highway speeds. However, I always ride with ear plugs, which helps tremendously. If you don't, maybe there's a different level of background noise on the new Wing that's interfering?

Jason
    Yeah and it could be just it was not setup properly before I took off. After having Cruise man though confirm, along with the other dealer I talked to who had it out for a hundred fifty mile ride, who also complained of not being able to hear it too well, I thought I might have had something there, maybe not though.
    When the world seems to be working against you. Drop everything and go for a ride!

Ad me to the "Old and grumpy" bunch. Love the rounded curves and some what old school of my '13 F6b and am not the least bit interested in the new Goldwing.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin