Rode the new 2018 today.... - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rode the new 2018 today....

Yeah add me to the Grumpy Old Men list two! I'm actually looking at a couple of 2016 F6B deluxe's, before they're all gone!
    When the world seems to be working against you. Drop everything and go for a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    I had the opposite experience, Keller. I have the stock radio on the F6b, and I don't have problems with it, either. My standards are pretty moderated, though, since I'd never had a radio on a bike before the B. The radio on the new DCT that I rode was even easier to hear than the B at highway speeds. However, I always ride with ear plugs, which helps tremendously. If you don't, maybe there's a different level of background noise on the new Wing that's interfering?

Jason
    Yeah and it could be just it was not setup properly before I took off. After having Cruise man though confirm, along with the other dealer I talked to who had it out for a hundred fifty mile ride, who also complained of not being able to hear it too well, I thought I might have had something there, maybe not though.
    When the world seems to be working against you. Drop everything and go for a ride!

I’m sorry, but the Matte Grey B just looks too damn good! Nice choice on windshield, too!

A417408C-2332-44F9-BD3A-5537172C4CA3.jpg
    2016 F6B Matte Grey
    2016 XDiavel (Sadly...gone)
    2014 M109r (FHD Classic) (Sadly...gone)
    2014 VRSCF (Gone)
    2006 VTX 1300C (Gone)

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more. I thought I was mellowing as I got older, turns out I just don’t give a sh1t.”

i have the 2013 F6B that i have fixed up with accessories to the way i like it. . . i love all the new bell and whistles of the new 2018. But i have my F6B to where i want it now and see no reason to switch over and take another mortgage on. I think i will ride my paid for bike and spend the money it would have taken to pay the difference and go on some nice long bike trips. . . . . i already have a great bike that i love for now. Maybe down the line i will change my mind but for now all it really costs me is for oil changes and gas . . . . how do you like that?

I agree for now 100%..I don't ride as much as I used to and my 2013 F6B Deluxe is custom painted, Mustang seat, Baggershield, Kury grips, Cobra Pipes, new tires, and extra chrome "bling"..rides fine, runs great, paid for, and does what I need it to do...and only has 14,000 miles on the odo....At age 78, I don't need more debt and have no interest in impressing others with a new bike full of "whistles and bells"....Getting old I guess!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    i have the 2013 F6B that i have fixed up with accessories to the way i like it. . . i love all the new bell and whistles of the new 2018. But i have my F6B to where i want it now and see no reason to switch over and take another mortgage on. I think i will ride my paid for bike and spend the money it would have taken to pay the difference and go on some nice long bike trips. . . . . i already have a great bike that i love for now. Maybe down the line i will change my mind but for now all it really costs me is for oil changes and gas . . . . how do you like that?
    Ditto, who knows what the future will bring but I'm happy with my 2013 F6B standard, I've got the man madstad windshield, Omni lock for cruise control, crampbuster, highway pegs, Center stand, and it's a great running vehicle! I leased an Infiniti Q50 and had to have all the bells and whistles, I'm talking adaptive cruise control, the thing practically drives itself with a technology package on it. I found I barely ever use it! So I'm sure although all the bells and whistles are nice on the Goldwing 2018, unless you're doing cross-country once a month, I don't see the need for half that stuff! I've never found a navigation that's better then my phone anyway, most of them don't see traffic unless you pay extra, Google Maps gives you the fastest route, so I'm sure I would end up using that instead of the built-in navigation, cruise is nice, but how often do you really need to take your right hand off the handle bar? Omni lock serve that purpose for a long trip, and actually does pretty well with a couple of tweaks as you're riding, twisting the throttle. Cost was 50 bucks and 5 minutes to install! So I'm agreeing with you 100% and will be letting Honda work out some bugs which I have heard quite a few now, radio volume, paint, Etc,
    Last edited by keller123; 03-18-2018 at 12:53 PM.

I eagerly anticipated the new/updated wing. I test drove one recently and agree with most replies on this thread. My impressions are both good/bad. The upgrades to the suspension and electronics/interface are certainly welcome and great. My issues are with the styling, fairing, flimsiness, and especially the storage. The '18 is certainly more angular and less rounded, with the square motor sticking out there as well as the small trapezoidal saddlebags. One thing I love about my F6B, is that I can fit a modular fullface in a saddlebag (along with a couple of pairs of gloves, a nylon pullover, my gerbing heated liner, small bag of bungy cords, small tool bag, and rain pants). The saddlebags are both small and odd-shaped, and couldn't fit my helmet. The trunk was small, too, and might fit one full face. The fairing didn't cover as much as the old. Riding in New England, it's nice to be ensconced behind the fairing in cooler/inclement weather (with baker wings to deflect air in warmer weather). While playing with the new parked '18's that the dealer had, I found that the plastics seem cheaper/thinner. I had a hard time opening/closing the trunk on a couple of the bikes there. I think I'll keep my '13 F6B (with HD King Tourpak I can add/remove in 5 minutes), or upgrade to a newer (<18) "full" Wing. I stopped by a BMW dealer and sat on the K1600GTL. That felt great, and the saddlebag fit my helmet, and the trunk was huge.

Quote Originally Posted by UTurn View Post
    I eagerly anticipated the new/updated wing. I test drove one recently and agree with most replies on this thread. My impressions are both good/bad. The upgrades to the suspension and electronics/interface are certainly welcome and great. My issues are with the styling, fairing, flimsiness, and especially the storage. The '18 is certainly more angular and less rounded, with the square motor sticking out there as well as the small trapezoidal saddlebags. One thing I love about my F6B, is that I can fit a modular fullface in a saddlebag (along with a couple of pairs of gloves, a nylon pullover, my gerbing heated liner, small bag of bungy cords, small tool bag, and rain pants). The saddlebags are both small and odd-shaped, and couldn't fit my helmet. The trunk was small, too, and might fit one full face. The fairing didn't cover as much as the old. Riding in New England, it's nice to be ensconced behind the fairing in cooler/inclement weather (with baker wings to deflect air in warmer weather). While playing with the new parked '18's that the dealer had, I found that the plastics seem cheaper/thinner. I had a hard time opening/closing the trunk on a couple of the bikes there. I think I'll keep my '13 F6B (with HD King Tourpak I can add/remove in 5 minutes), or upgrade to a newer (<18) "full" Wing. I stopped by a BMW dealer and sat on the K1600GTL. That felt great, and the saddlebag fit my helmet, and the trunk was huge.
    Do you think the lighter plastic is a move to save weight?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Do you think the lighter plastic is a move to save weight?
    Most everything today it seems is made with cheaper materials. Perhaps to save weight, which is a real concern as well as saving manufacturing costs..With all this tariff "crap" going on who knows what we will see down the road...If I had to guess, I would lean towards saving weight to keep fuel mileage up as much as possible....Ride safe

I rode the new Goldwings this morning while getting new tires put on the F6B. A buddy was with me, also getting tires on his F6B. Off we go, him on the Tour and me on the Tour DCT. WOW!!! I loved it. It was better than anticipated. Smooth and precise, and so easy to ride. I played with the different modes, and the sport mode is as described, sporty. The tour mode is comfortable, and probably what I would use the majority of the time. Paddle shifting was easy, the screen is nice and large with no problems with glare, the radio is ok, but I usually ride full face wit bluetooth, so I don't see a big issue there for me. The windshield could go a tad higher (I am 6'3"), and there is more wind on the arms/shoulders, but I don't mind that as much as head buffering, which the shield did a good job of stopping. It was nice to be able to lower the shield. Cruise worked great, gear indicator is nice, controls are pretty easy to use, although it took me a bit to figure out how to change the radio stations, but I did. The suspension is excellent. Watching that front end was like watching a sewing machine going up and down. as it is "bouncing constantly, always in motion, but it works well. No diving on hard stops. The exhaust note is nice, a bit of a deep growl, with just a hint of a drone, but nothing I couldn't live with. It's is not like putting after market pipes on the f6b or anything, in fact I had to think about it to realize there was just a slight drone, but there is just a bit. The riding position is higher and more on the bike than "in" it, but it was comfortable. The DCT I rode had a backrest, the tour did not. No backrest is not an option (for me). This felt like a cross between a BMW and a Janpenese bike, in a positive way. I felt like it was the best of both worlds, a feature rich BMW coupled with the Japaense reliability. I really liked, it, and IF I were to get a new bike, it would be the DCT with no hesitation. I just can't make myself spend that kind of money on a motorcycle. Call me old fashioned, but the B runs too well, fits me too well, and I enjoy it too much to "trade up" right now. Honestly, I expected more of a let down getting back on the B, but there was none, as I enjoy the bike so much. The wife is perfectly fine with me getting one, in fact encouraging me to get one, but I just can't do it. Maybe in a couple of years and the price has come down, but I will say that bike was a pleasure to ride.
    Last edited by STRaider; 08-25-2018 at 01:43 PM.