Which is it? I'm confused.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is it? I'm confused.

Which is it? I'm confused.

Of all the members on this forum, there are quite a few that I recognize from the VRCC as Valk owners. Some have kept the Valks after acquiring the "B" and others like myself have moved on to the F6B in by selling or trading the Valk.

On the VRCC Forum, and to a lesser extent on the VOAI Board, members would discuss the virtues of the Valk Versus a Gold Wing with most saying that "I like to see a motor on my motorcycle". Or maybe, "too much tupperware on a Wing, I like the classic look".

So now we have a new redesigned Wing and I'm seeing comments like, "That motor really sticks out too far looking at it from the front". Or, "I like the bigger fairing better."

So which is it? Were you a Valk owner who condemned Wings for having too much plastic & hiding the motor and now thinks the motor sticks out to far? Or do you think the styling of the new Wing will win over younger buyers?

Can not speak for anyone else, I come from cruisers, Harley and Yamaha, this is my 1st wing, black, the fastest. I initially fell in love w/the look, then the power, reliability and the comfort. I have only seen pictures of the new wing and have read the reviews in magazines and from members on this forum. Seems to be everything the B is and more. That being said, I doubt very much that I would buy one, economics and age are my biggest determining factors along w/the fact that I don't like the body work, I love my big fairing and round bodywork and it has taken me years and a substantial amount of money to make it mine and after I get the Traxxion full monty, it will be were I want it to be. I can't wait to see the new Wing in person and possibly sit on it but a test ride is not in my future.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

I'm kinda with Choptop. I love the mechanicalness of my old Harley, it's kind of my hotrod. I like seeing the engine and parts and I enjoy tinkering with it.It feeds the inner teenager. My 13 F6B is different. I like it's looks but it's different. It's a no muss no fuss seamless get on it and ride. And like Chop I doubt I'll ever buy another unless God forbid something happens to this one. Age and economics, life is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    Of all the members on this forum, there are quite a few that I recognize from the VRCC as Valk owners. Some have kept the Valks after acquiring the "B" and others like myself have moved on to the F6B in by selling or trading the Valk.

On the VRCC Forum, and to a lesser extent on the VOAI Board, members would discuss the virtues of the Valk Versus a Gold Wing with most saying that "I like to see a motor on my motorcycle". Or maybe, "too much tupperware on a Wing, I like the classic look".

So now we have a new redesigned Wing and I'm seeing comments like, "That motor really sticks out too far looking at it from the front". Or, "I like the bigger fairing better."

So which is it? Were you a Valk owner who condemned Wings for having too much plastic & hiding the motor and now thinks the motor sticks out to far? Or do you think the styling of the new Wing will win over younger buyers?
    I had a 99 Valk Tourer and loved the looks of the big motor with its 6 carbs, pipes, and chrome shining timing cover protruding from the front of the motor...The new GW does not have the same appearance at all..To me trying to compare the old Valk's motor with the newer generation is like "apples to oranges"..Both are nice in their own way, I just think the motor is much more noticeable from the front than the older models and I am sure it will sell just fine as it is a Honda!!!

I didn't notice the motor sticking out but at Chicago bike show my buddy who drives a Valkyrie said boy that motor really shicks not and it does but I still think it looks great.
    I even like how the new Wing doesn't have the plastic cover behind the engine anymore.

I swapped my 14 Valkyrie for the F6BD. They are very different rides. I miss the Valkyrie as a muscle cruiser - a naked big bike for around town. I added a tall windshield and saddlebags for more convenience and got even more enjoyment out of her. I did like the saddlebags ease of use and top opening better but like the F6B linked brakes more as well as the full fairing with radio. The F6B does seem to sit a tad lower and even with more weight (+100 lbs), handles just as good. Probably since the F6B fuel tank is below the seat instead of in front and above the hip as on Valkyrie.

Like Them All

I bought a Valk Tourer in '98 and still love it. For the time it was a great choice, with the smooth reliable drive train of the Wing, but lighter, faster, and prettier. With the roomy bags and large screen it could still eat up the miles like a Wing. The only shortcoming is the appetite for fuel (I rarely get more than 33 MPG) which requires frequent stops.

I still have it, but with 175,000 miles I wanted something similar but newer. I searched the market, rode a K1600 and Rocket III, but liked the F6B the best. The rock solid reliability of the Wing platform was a factor. The bikes look different, but are similar in many ways.

I like the new Wing a lot, but it looks a lot more like a sport-tourer to me. However I think Honda made the right choice by aiming for a younger rider. I've attended several Valkyrie rallies and we're an aging group.

Below are a pair of photos taken in the same place, 16 years apart. Too bad I didn't close the left saddlebag lid back in '99.

Last edited by F6Dave; 02-17-2018 at 12:23 PM.

I had a 1998 Valk

DSCN0007 (5).jpg
    2017 ABS Pearl White GoldWing Grand Touring motorcycle

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff.

Interesting .... I was on the VRCC forum back in the '97. I had a '99 Tourer (black) that I sold to a friend. He still has it. Moved on to the 2001 Goldwing and the forum there, too. Had that bike for 15+ years (many other bikes came and went) ... it was my favorite bike of all.

When the NEW Valk came out, I wasn't all that keen on the look, but the motor pushed me to pick one up. Didn't suit me for long and I traded it in (took a bath on the trade) for a new 2015 F6B. I've modified it a great deal and love this bike. But, the tech is nearly 2 decades old. Hell, it doesn't even have ABS ! It is now my favorite bike of all .... However, I'm about to swap it for something else.

Weather here in New England has been less than grand. But, when it breaks in a couple weeks, I plan to ride the NEW Wing back-to-back with the BMW K16B. I've been following MBs on both, looking at reviews of both on youTube, and looking at them in person.

Not sure what I will do, but I'm leaning toward the BMW K16B. I'll find out when I ride them both. BTW, not interested in the DCT. Had someithing similar in my previous Porsche TT. Very fast, but lacked personality. I would opt for the manual tranny in the Wing If I were to get one.

Also .... recognize some of the "handles" of the previous VRCC and Goldwing MBs. Nice to see some of you guys still around!

I too came over from VRCC. I still have my 98 Valkyrie, with Viking Pipes, Dyna Ignition, Ultimate King Seats in the stable with my 13 F6B standard. They say you have more than one love in your
    life, I am lucky that I have both of them still under one roof. The 98 may be getting long in the tooth but she still is very capable of going cross country and looking good on Saturday nights. The 13
    is a different beast, and she is a keeper too. I plan to ride them both and at 61 years of age they will both outlast me.