A quick vent about air pressure gauges
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A quick vent about air pressure gauges

A quick vent about air pressure gauges

So recently, I've been curious about air gauges. I have four different ones, and none of them read the same pressure, some differing by almost 10 lbs (not on the motorcycle tire, but on some truck tires). They all vary on the F6B tires as well by several pounds. I have a Slime digitial, a couple of stick gauges, an analog gauge with a hose attached (sold by a company that sells these and a nice air compressor to motorcyclists). Without a way to test/calibrate, how the hell do we actually know how much pressure is really going into our tires, or which gauge is the most accurate?

I took my Harley in for a new back tire this weekend, and they asked if I have been riding it with low pressures. I actually tend to overfill my tires from the published psi, and check them each ride. This kind of goes along with my observations that we don't really know what pressures we are putting in our tires. It appears we accepting what we think is conventional wisdom as to what the ideal pressure is and then likely never really achieving it.

Most, if not all, air gauges are all over the map with supposed incorrect PSI readings as you stated...I also have a few and they all vary by a couple pounds each...I have been using a digital unit from Accutire tire that seems to work the best...Only because it seems to be the one that feels the best to me...Consumer reports a while back did some type of testing with various air gauges and found that the pencil units from NAPA were the most accurate and consistent..I believe the one I have cost about $8.00 and is the best of the bunch.....Kind of a "crap shoot" in most cases I think.....I like most others check my bike/car tires on a regular basis and so far have gotten decent wear on most....Regards and no real answers on the tire gauge issue....

I have a couple of newer Snap-On stick type gauges and both read the same.

I'd try to pick the one that you think is most accurate and stick with it. At least you'll be consistent.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I have three Slime Gauges which have analog dials! They are within one pound (PSI) of each other, so I feel confident I'm maintaining adequate pressure front and rear, 41/43 PSI.
    Owning a Motorhome, I also acquired a Milton Stick Gauge which has 150 PSI Max reading. After much research on many RV Forums, the Milton was the most oft purchased and accurate among users.
    Just replaced all six tires on the Motorhome with Good Year's! At $650.00 a pop, air pressure is critical and the Milton does the trick!

I use the digital Slime gauges. They seem to be most consistent, and they are easy to use and are cheap in cost:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Dig...&wl13=&veh=sem

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I compare my stick gauges to a vehicles TPMS system. Find 1 that matches my trk #'s then compare it to the wife and daughters cars.

I read somewhere that the NAPA gauge I referred to in my post is made by Milton and is one of the most accurate for the money....Ride safe

I used to manage tire stores. At times I would order in a box of tire gauges. In the tire industry, the common brands were either Milton or Schrader. Often, the gauges would very by 2-3 lbs.
    Last edited by druggr; 02-19-2018 at 03:35 PM.

I have several as well all reading differing amount so I use the one that is closest to my Garmin TPMS system since it actually seems to be the most accurate. BTW I get the best results from digital not stick or gauge type.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike