2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod

2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod

Just found this on YouTube. Looks like Max at Traxxion Dynamics has some issues with the new Wing. Check out his multiple videos dealing with the new boy on the block. If I was tempted to wait on getting a new 2018 to get the bugs worked out, Max might have convinced me. That rear rod ain't looking good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYhrQYdPXsY

And another one with a very loose steering head bearing............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qujrjxXKJdI
    Last edited by Walcrow; 02-18-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Having worked on older steering w/ tie rod ends, they all have a lot of play, new out of the box & they're steering a 4 to 5,000# auto. I've seen rip off mechanics tell people their front end was shot because of the play. I know little about the new GW steering and I may be wrong but I wouldn't be concerned about tie rod play. That's my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    Just found this on YouTube. Looks like Max at Traxxion Dynamics has some issues with the new Wing. Check out his multiple videos dealing with the new boy on the block. If I was tempted to wait on getting a new 2018 to get the bugs worked out, Max might have convinced me. That rear rod ain't looking good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYhrQYdPXsY

And another one with a very loose steering head bearing............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qujrjxXKJdI

If there was ever a weak link with this new 2018, it would be those steering rods. I've stated that before.

Am surprised in that second video link that there is clunk already present in the gynormous steering head bearing

Last edited by willtill; 02-19-2018 at 07:53 AM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Aye Carumba!

Love what I have seen so far with my butt tests of this bike, but YOU KNOW there will be issues with so much new stuff...it is inevitable with any new heavily engineered, heavily re-designed vehicle...

Yamaha tried to engineer a bunch of weight out of their new snowmobiles back in 2006...took out grease zerks, used thinner metal in the skid (suspension system that track wraps around). What happened? Bushings where zerks were removed needing replacing every year; arms in the aforementioned suspension were cracking and breaking after a couple of years. Guess what newer models had? Yep, zerks back into the equation and heavier metal in the suspension components.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I, too, have reliability questions and concerns. However, being that Traxxion has a vested interest in the necessity of replaceable components, I'm watching all sides with a skeptical eye. However, that front end sure does feel like magic on the road. Fingers crossed that it lasts as well.

Jason

Again, I like my '13 F6b ...
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

I hear you Jason. The interesting item is the steering head bearing being loose after 300 frickin' miles.......WTF Honda? Wonder if ALL-BALLS is already at the drawing board? Wouldn't doubt it and I don't blame Max for tearing a new one apart. He built a better trap for the previous Wings suspension and I wouldn't bet against him that his upgrades will make the new Wing better. It's a great new suspension design but that does not preclude Max from finding various issues that he might just make better.

You guys do realize this guy Max has a deeply vested interest in convincing all the new 2018 owners that they NEED his services because the new Gold Wing suspension is crap right?

He has to convince you that a whole new generation of Wing still needs him. Just put that in your pipe and smoke it.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

So Jimmy, you're telling us that Will, 53driver, and a host of other members AND non-members pissed away their money with Traxxion on their B upgrades over the years? Max is only doing what probably every other manufacturer does by ripping other companies shit apart to see what they did and might make better. If that head bearing is loose with only 300 miles, and I spent $28,000 on the new Wing, I'd be beyond pissed. No one, including Max, is forcing us to get a Traxxion upgrade, but I won't fault him for putting his empirical knowledge to use based on the "older" Wing.
    Last edited by Walcrow; 02-19-2018 at 06:14 PM.