2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod

I am not suggesting that there may, or may not, be room for improvement, but it just appears to me that some are just "rushing to judgment" way to early on the 2018 suspension without any real world issues as yet..Maybe the Traxxion people are a little anxious to sell upgrades already that may not be necessary or needed....I am not looking for negative arguments and I am well aware that some things can be made better and many after-market companies sell great products to improve on OEM parts....but merely saying, lets wait and see first for a while....In any event, I probably should "shut-up" on this issue as I have no plans to purchase a 2018 model in the near or distant future.....Regards and ride safe

As I read this thread one thing clearly comes to mind: Winter results in too much time on the web and not enough time riding. Come on warm weather!!!!

Note: the above definitely applies to me.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    As I read this thread one thing clearly comes to mind: Winter results in too much time on the web and not enough time riding. Come on warm weather!!!!

Note: the above definitely applies to me.
    Ditto! Cabin fever and P.M.S. runs rampant during this time of year....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Zteve View Post
    At this point in motorcycle evolution you'd think the suspension would be a non issue. If what's being shown about the new Wings front suspension is true (which it appears to be) then it's kinda hard not to talk about.
    I still hold that this isn't from design, it's from dealer prep/setup. When I got my CTX700 (the 3rd my dealer had ever had), the rear was WAY too soft - they left it from the factory, which was essentially zero preload. As a big-boy, I cranked it all the way to full preload and it's been great ever since. Was that a design flaw? Nope! Dealer prep flaw, and if it was a 150 pound "idealized" Honda rider, it would have been great. Being over twice that, though, I needed a LOT of preload.

Dan...

The issue here is not about dealer set up as to the front steering head bearing and the races. Honda apparently did a crappy job installing those races, according to the Max video. I'll agree with you about dealer prep being sloppy at times, but I don't think that most dealers would have shaken a new customers front suspension and then tell the service dept. to take it apart and check those races. Mama Honda screwed up on the one that Max got hold of and I think he did new Wing owners a "pay if forward" by pointing it out. I'll agree with opas that Max will soon have a new Traxxion shock out for the new Wing. That's the business he's in and I applaud him for attempting to improve upon something he feels is inferior. No one HAS to buy it, and can opt to if they have the cash. It also looks like Mama Honda had plenty of leftover rear shocks from 2017 to stick on the 2018. Seems cheesy to me for a $28,000 bike.

Max and his new video on the tie rods and their purpose...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY6OvsuZj3w

I sat on two Goldwing Tour bikes at a dealer. One had a lot of tie rod play and the other had much less.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I don't understand how the reports of great ride quality from the front end are co-existing with the reports from Traxxion about having 1" of shock travel and the shock bottoming bumper coming into play frequently.
    I would speculate there are multiple reasons such as:

1) Pride of Ownership/Denial after spending $30K on a first year bike.
    2) Variances in bikes first off the line.
    3) Variances in riders perceptions and riding styles. Some people notice things, others don't, just like with anything else.

Wart reports are popping up around the internet for multiple issues (paint, fit & finish, mechanical, software) from early adopters and not just from vendors. Not unexpected for an initial production run.
    Last edited by ths61; 03-09-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Max's video from today about more tie rod slop................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZNgTz3rut0

and another short one from Max...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtRJ1XZLOD8
    Last edited by Walcrow; 03-12-2018 at 06:36 PM.