2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod

What you also need to take into account in the vid is that with the front shock removed that the suspension parts are hanging at angles that they normally will not be operating at when the shock is attached. The clunk that was in the tie rod end, that was at an extreme angle because of the shock being removed. In fairness, at our local 1800 reveal the Honda rep did mention that the tie rods are something that has to be checked on a regularly bases and adjusted as needed.
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 02-19-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks for the update. The tie rod design is quite interesting with the left rear connection being totally different than the other 3 points. Any engineers around who could give some insight into that arrangement or was Max blowing smoke up our butts?

You know... one would really need to get their hands on one themselves. And to report after a couple of thousand miles.

Personally I am a little leery of those tie rods but Honda engineering I think would have thought it through pretty well.

The devil is in longevity down the road.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    So Jimmy, you're telling us that Will, 53driver, and a host of other members AND non-members pissed away their money with Traxxion on their B upgrades over the years? Max is only doing what probably every other manufacturer does by ripping other companies shit apart to see what they did and might make better. If that head bearing is loose with only 300 miles, and I spent $28,000 on the new Wing, I'd be beyond pissed. No one, including Max, is forcing us to get a Traxxion upgrade, but I won't fault him for putting his empirical knowledge to use based on the "older" Wing.
    So Walcrow , you can vouch for the content and truthfulness of his videos? You are also putting a whole lot more words into what I said. Just be advised , is all I am saying. It's pretty odd that you can read someone's glowing review of the handling on the 18 Wing and then not a week later completely does a 180 and says it's trash.

As far as his upgrades, many who have had them have also had issues with the durabilty of his shocks too.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I would not let one or two posts influence any decisions about the new suspension on the 2018's at this point...As willtill has posted, lets have a few riders get some real world miles on these things for a while and then take a look!!!...Some of us are clearly "rushing to judgment" way to early in my opinion....I an sure that Honda has a pretty good handle on what they are doing.....Ride safe

My guess is the issues are really related to dealer prep, not design. The design seems really strong and appropriate, but given that dealers have probably set up a grand total of zero before this one, well - an error in the initial setup would not at all be unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiDan View Post
    My guess is the issues are really related to dealer prep, not design. The design seems really strong and appropriate, but given that dealers have probably set up a grand total of zero before this one, well - an error in the initial setup would not at all be unexpected.
    Yea... like the GoldWing brake recall. What a clusterfuck that was initially with many dealers...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    So Walcrow , you can vouch for the content and truthfulness of his videos? You are also putting a whole lot more words into what I said. Just be advised , is all I am saying. It's pretty odd that you can read someone's glowing review of the handling on the 18 Wing and then not a week later completely does a 180 and says it's trash.

As far as his upgrades, many who have had them have also had issues with the durabilty of his shocks too.
    I'm not trying to argue. I agree with you about Max having the probability of negating Honda's design to possibly get riders to buy his future products. Every manufacturer does that and advertises that their crap is better his crap. Also, I would like to hear more about Traxxion's shock issues because I have been planning to ride over to Woodstock and have it done. I've read the members here rant and rave about the difference after Max's installs. I haven't read much about the negatives other than the $$$$ it takes to get it done. If the shocks have issues, I'd love to hear about them. As to the videos validity, of course I wasn't there when he took all the crap off. Did he loosen the steering head so the bearing would rattle? Beats me. We both weren't there. Am I to then believe that Max is a big fat shyster? Beats me. Max can do all the investigation he wants as I'm not getting a 2018 anyway. I'm sure we'll get plenty of feedback from those 2018 Wing riders who are either jumping for joy or pissed as hell.

What you have to remember is that Taxxion shocks are a racing shocks. Front or rear Taxxion on 2017 and back need to be maintained I think they say every 16,000 miles. That may mean you take them off and apart and service the internals. My 13 had 35,000 miles and I was starting to think of replacing the rear shock spring. My 14 with 26,000 miles is still feeling ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    Just found this on YouTube. Looks like Max at Traxxion Dynamics has some issues with the new Wing. Check out his multiple videos dealing with the new boy on the block. If I was tempted to wait on getting a new 2018 to get the bugs worked out, Max might have convinced me. That rear rod ain't looking good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYhrQYdPXsY

And another one with a very loose steering head bearing............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qujrjxXKJdI
    Just saw one of the steering slop videos and another video were a test rider said there was exhaust drone @ 63 MPH in the top gear.