2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Yea... like the GoldWing brake recall. What a clusterfuck that was initially with many dealers...
    After I had the brake recall, my rear brakes will chatter when they are hot under heavy braking. They sound like anti-lock brakes kicking in.

Here is another video. Traxxion claims the stock shocks are underdampened and undersprung by at least 50%. They also said the front shock is sitting on the shock bumper under just it's own weight.

Last edited by ths61; 02-20-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Here is another video describing the electronic dampening. The four modes share 3 dampening settings (1 setting is used for 2 modes).

Last edited by ths61; 02-20-2018 at 01:56 AM.

Removing the front shock (Timecode(0:38) - 2018 uses same shock preloader as the 2001-2017 models):

Last edited by ths61; 02-20-2018 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    After I had the brake recall, my rear brakes will chatter when they are hot under heavy braking. They sound like anti-lock brakes kicking in.
    That sounds like the symptom of your brakes not being bled properly.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    As I said. A widespread dealer clusteryouknowwhat... I went through repeat visits for things done wrong during it and ended up making them eat a whole new rear brake caliper assembly.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    What you have to remember is that Taxxion shocks are a racing shocks. Front or rear Taxxion on 2017 and back need to be maintained I think they say every 16,000 miles. That may mean you take them off and apart and service the internals. My 13 had 35,000 miles and I was starting to think of replacing the rear shock spring. My 14 with 26,000 miles is still feeling ok.
    Their front shocks have to be serviced every 25K. And from what they showed me; the fluid does not turn as dark from component disintegration as Honda's proprietary internals do; since Traxxion has tighter tolerances within the shock body = less wear.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

It is certainly true for gen 5, and probably the same for gen 6 ... basically the springs are worn out at 20k. The springs and shocks in gen 5 remind me of new cars from the '70s. After 20k, if the shocks were not replaced, the car rode like **it until they were. Back then, cars came with a 80/20 shock. The shocks provided 20% resistance on nose dives and 80% resistance when rebounding up. Which is a great shock for a new springs. However, when the spring softened and begins to sag, it then needs a 50/50 shock ... same dampening up and down.

In one of Max's videos he show his Wing continuing to bounce 3-4 times after pushing down on the bars. Remember the bumper test on cars ??? Push down hard on the front bumper and the bumper continuing to bounce 3-4 times (also called cycles), and with new shocks it settles between 1-1.5 cycles ???

With Gen 6 ... welcome to auto shop class Basic Car Suspension Systems 101.
    Last edited by druggr; 02-20-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    That's what I thought, but my stealer's wrench insists that is normal in really hot weather.
    Last edited by ths61; 02-20-2018 at 11:44 AM.

My '13 "B" feels great w/ the OEM shock & front end. I suppose some folks want the advantage of racing style shock & front end & don't mind paying for them. If the OEM goes south, why not get the racing stuff? Go for it.
    Having been in business my entire life. I know there's lots of businesses that run down / bad mouth the other guy's product just to make their product look like the greatest thing since sliced bread. As far as any new MC goes, I doubt if any Mfg. will put racing type / style anything on a product designed for cruising & everyday fun. 1) most folks really don't feel the need for it or want it. 2) It would run the price point up and that would chased off buyers. 3) somebodies going to come along and say they have a better trap no matter what. = Personally, I'm not ready to buy into the "bad front end" hype that's being put out only a few weeks after the bike was released. Having said that, it's a all new GW, I'm sure they will be a few bugs to work out and may be few "ah shits." The front end might be one of them, I feel it's just to soon to tell. ==== & that's my 5 cents worth.