2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    That $3,000 is a variable; it would be the full upgrade. I only did the front end...

This has been discussed ad nauseam... The F6B's front forks in OEM form are of poor design with only half the dampening ability that could be afforded by two functional shocks. Traxxion solves that issue.

Watch all three video's. They explain it

Thanks, very interesting video....I plan to stay with the stock stuff for now as I might trade the bike next year for something else...Regards and ride safe

How pliable is that new 2018 front shock bumper? Possibly it allows for more shaft travel than we can see?
    It appears the front bumper is acting as an anti-dive valve and coil spring. If so, it will wear quickly.

TD said new shocks won't be expensive, but the labor will because both shocks are buried and require a lot of time to get at them and cover them back up again. That means replacing a worn bumper frequently will rack up the shop labor $$$.
    Last edited by ths61; 02-21-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    It appears the front bumper is acting as an anti-dive valve and coil spring. If so, it will wear quickly.

TD said new shocks won't be expensive, but the labor will because both shocks are buried and require a lot of time to get at them and cover them back up again. That means replacing a worn bumper frequently will rack up the shop labor $$$.
    Yep, I think the dealers will love it. They'll see another new Wing come in the service dept and the first thing they say....."We got any more of them bumper things in stock?" .....Six more hours charged back to Mama Honda.

Since I am a neophyte when it comes to suspensions, I have neophyte thoughts about them, such as: given that the bumper is noticeably different in size and proportion to other bumpers, is it possible that Honda designed the new one to function in a slightly different way? From the description in the video, you would think there would be a very regular feeling of "bottoming out" the front end, given the tiny amount of available travel on the shock. That is the opposite of what I felt from the front end on my test ride. It was never harsh, actually most comfortable front end I've ever felt on a bike. Maybe I didn't push it hard enough in the corners to experience the limitation?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I don't understand how the reports of great ride quality from the front end are co-existing with the reports from Traxxion about having 1" of shock travel and the shock bottoming bumper coming into play frequently.
    It's all about ratios and lever arms. My CTX700 has "only" 1.5 inches of shock travel, but because of the 2.5:1 ratio of the shock to swing arm, it gives me a little over 4 inches of travel before bottoming. So having a shock move just 1 inch is really not an issue, and doesn't mean anything without knowing the lever arm ratio to determine what that 1 inch of travel actual means.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiDan View Post
    It's all about ratios and lever arms. My CTX700 has "only" 1.5 inches of shock travel, but because of the 2.5:1 ratio of the shock to swing arm, it gives me a little over 4 inches of travel before bottoming. So having a shock move just 1 inch is really not an issue, and doesn't mean anything without knowing the lever arm ratio to determine what that 1 inch of travel actual means.
    Someone needs to get a camera in that front end and film that shock shaft; as the shock is being articulated....

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Someone needs to get a camera in that front end and film that shock shaft; as the shock is being articulated....
    That would be a great video to have while the bike is being ridden one and two up..

Like the DarkSide GoPro videos showing the car tire's contact patches.

Here's the steering head rattle issue from Max.................

https://youtu.be/cHcTiEQDIjY

Not necessarily something a person wants to see or hear but good to know.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

After demo riding the 2018 Gold Wing Tour I could feel the front end slop you are talking about. Not all the time, but it was noticeable.