Helmet in trunk test - '18 Wing Tour
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet in trunk test - '18 Wing Tour

Helmet in trunk test - '18 Wing Tour

Stopped by the dealer again today to pick up my center stand parts, and he had a white '18 Tour and maroon '18 F6B (I am still going to call it that, because that's what it is, dammit!!) on the sales floor.

I quickly ran back to the parts dept., where they let me swipe a HJC CR-17 helmet off the shelf, size XL. This helmet appears to be about the size of my Schuberth C3 Pro XL.

The news is mixed ... yes, an XL full-faced helmet will fit in the trunk of the new full Wing. However, it will only fit in on its side. Putting the helmet in, sitting on its base, and trunk lid will not close...at least, not easily....this being a brand new bike and a brand new helmet, I did not want to push my luck.

Here are the pics:

https://imgur.com/tx5nbrx

https://imgur.com/fLcJqzW

So, if you have a giant head and wear a helmet larger than an XL, you may be out of luck (try before you buy). If you are that guy in Beetlejuice, you should not have any problems.

https://imgur.com/m4Prd1i

Also, pretty obvious this rules out putting TWO helmets in the trunk, unless they are bicycle helmets.

In other news...

1. Talked to the owner of the dealer. He said he has sold four GWTs so far and the market for them is "hot". I live in upstate NY, it is February, and he is describing the new Wing market as "hot". That's impressive. Other quote: "there isn't really much demand for the old Gold Wings at this point."

2. I noticed he had a black 2013 F6B on trade in. 9000 miles on it, Corbin seat, Aero pegs (tried those; did not like them), back rest, cargo rack. He told he gave the owner of it $12000 on trade, but that came off retail on the new Wing Tour. That is probably retail on the '13 F6B trade in, coming off the retail on the new Wing, so that indicates to me that he is offering about $3000 discount on the new Wing (I am assuming that '13 is worth about $9000 in a private sale or wholesale).

3. Sat on the machine again, much more briefly. Again, very small in stature as compared to the old Wings, but I am impressed with how well it fits me. Nothing else new to add on top of that.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Are you in agreement that there is no chance of that helmet going in the side bags? A gentleman on the internet told me he saw one fit in person....When I checked out the bike, I didn't have my helmet with me, but I believe there is no way in hell that could happen...anybody have any thoughts on this?
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

Quote Originally Posted by broncsrule21 View Post
    Are you in agreement that there is no chance of that helmet going in the side bags? A gentleman on the internet told me he saw one fit in person....When I checked out the bike, I didn't have my helmet with me, but I believe there is no way in hell that could happen...anybody have any thoughts on this?
    The only head gear that is going to fit in those side bags is a baseball cap.

My Schuberth C3 Pro XL barely fits into my F6B saddlebags, and often requires multiple attempts to get it to sit in there just right to close the lid. The new Wing has bag openings that are 30% smaller, and the bags themselves are significantly smaller.

Perhaps a half-helmet would fit in ....?
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

So this thread got me wondering...

The previous Gold Wings had helmet locks up under the trunk, and the F6B of course has a lock under the left hand rail.
    Where is/are the lock(s) on the new GW and GWT?
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Just my humble opinion, and due to my current riding style, whether or not my helmet fit into the bags or trunk of the bike I wanted to purchase is not a deal breaker..One can always find a way to lock the helmet on the bike for short periods, or just take it with you if your going inside somewhere for overnight travel or ???...Regards and ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    So this thread got me wondering...

The previous Gold Wings had helmet locks up under the trunk, and the F6B of course has a lock under the left hand rail.
    Where is/are the lock(s) on the new GW and GWT?
    yep, wondering the exact same thing....and I test rode the touring DCT and forgot to ask...i really do not think they have a helmet lock. Another great reason to hold on to what we have.
    When the world seems to be working against you. Drop everything and go for a ride!

Where are all of the macho bikers? You don't need no stink'n helmets !!!

The new Wing DOES have a helmet lock. It is in front of the left saddlebag, IIRC.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Never used to wear one, till I started needing to, when going on multi state rides, but considering starting to were one more often, maybe it's because I'm getting older or just the increase of distracted drivers on the road.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Yeah I used to love when I lived in Ohio and no helmet law! Would not get to far here in North Carolina without a helmet!
    When the world seems to be working against you. Drop everything and go for a ride!