Satellite radio
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellite radio

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Satellite radio

Since I keep spending money on my bike, I am looking into satellite radio options.

I do not like using the Sirius app through my phone, held by RamMount; am now looking at getting their Onyx radio unit and mounting that in my Ram Mount.

Some comments/ questions:

1.) Lots of cords - satellite antenna cord, power cord to fairing pocket 12V, 3.5mm auxiliary jack cord (unless using a Bluetooth adapter) - which means lots to unplug when leaving bike in a public place for awhile.

2.) If you have this setup, where do you mount the Sirius antenna?

3.) Any thoughts from experience, or otherwise?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Sirus XM burnt my relationship after I ordered a radio from them in November and they automatically activated it...I caught on 6 months later in April, before I ever installed it. Nonetheless I cancelled subscription on all my radios.

I ordered the small touch screen setup and planned to place it on my glove box door after I cut it and fit it correctly or figure out how to place it by the windscreen. My goal was to place it in the glovebox area to keep a clean look and keep it out of the handlebar element avoiding wires etc.

The antenna, I was going to place it 1. under the rack on the back of my bike (pending no interference issues.) 2 near my windscreen and running the wires under the nose. I was going to tap into the radio wires so it would function with the bike in Acc mode.

If you are looking for places to hide wires left and right sides of the fairing...under the 'left glovebox' under the right side by the 'handwarmer control' and down both sides. Along the frame to the battery is also another spot as well. I will say while running your wires remember to place them in places that are quick to get to if you need to investigate a new issue or remove the system all together without having to take the bike apart too much. You never know when you may run into an issue and you are limited with tools.
    Veteran 16 years and counting
    Think. Adapt. Anticipate.

Just a thought but some of the higher end GPS units also have sat radio built in. They have big glove friendly screens. I have never used it myself but seen it on others bikes. You do have to add an antenna and pay for the script but it would cut down on wires and add GPS at the same time.

I have an older xm radio in cubby , for power it has a USB cord plugged into
    the power plug and connected to the 3.5 plug.
    The antenna goes out the bottom of cubby and placed on the speaker grill.
    You can also place it under the fairing like Harley . It will pick up through the plastic.

Okay...so...it looks like I can mount the Onyx radio in my Ram mount and route the cords down the bars, under the conduit, and place the antenna up and under the fascia around the headlamps...run power to 12V in fairing pocket...and connect to the 3.5mm aux jack or get a Bluetooth receiver.

Sheesh, sounds like a lot of work.

I am intrigued by the GPS w/ sat radio option...thanks for mentioning this, 2wheelsforme
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Not that much work,, you can put it all in the cubby and just stick the anttena in cubby also.
    The reception will be better if you have it outside.Just plug the 3.5 into radio and use speakers.
    Don't be so lazy. When it comes to 500 mile days it pays.

I have the Stratus7 in the cubby with the anttena on the dash under the windscreen.Little double sided tape under it.Works great with no signal loss.My only bitch with sat radio is the renewal time where I have to spend a half hr bartering the price down.

Oh, and do you mean the center cubby or left side fairing pocket?
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Oh, and do you mean the center cubby or left side fairing pocket?
    Left side fairing pocket for mine.The Stratus 7 is a small head unit so it fits in there with a little room to spare.It has ten presets and I can open up the door to push a button to change the channel,but I tend to wait till I am stopped to do it.

How do you guys change channels on the radio head unit if it is in the cubby?
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6