Honda O.E.M. Heated Grips - Need a Review
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda O.E.M. Heated Grips - Need a Review

Honda O.E.M. Heated Grips - Need a Review

Since these are not cheap but could be worth every penny when this happens “ I can’t feel my hands”
    If anyone has these please give me your review. Good or Bad.
    There are lots of aftermarket ones available I know but would like to stick to the O.E.M. ones.

Mine work perfectly but my Gerbin headed gloves are even better.

Love mine. Love my Gerbing gloves. I have used both at the same time.

I have dealer installed heated grips on my f6b standard and a half (also dealer installed center stand and 12v outlet)

I find they work fine and oddly enough they work best with my insulated Gortex gloves. The insulated gloves retain the warmth when I'm not holding the grips.

Also, I have a KAOKO throttle lock which so far hasn't interfered with the heated grips, which is something that concerned me when I installed it.

Had heated grips installed by my dealer also. They work fine but they only warm the palm side of the hand and not the back of the hand. Got tired of the back of my hand getting cold so I bought heated gloves.
    Now I hardly ever bother with the grips.
    Just my two cents......

I installed a set of the OEM heated grips on my 2013 Standard, they work fine. I've used after-market on previous bikes with good results also but the OEM required no fiddling beyond the standard installation. No guesswork or kludges, the bike is built for them so the wiring is already in place. It wasn't a piece of cake install, but most accessory installations on this bike are tedious due to the plastic.
    I use grip puppies during the summer months then remove them for winter driving. Grip Puppies are an insulator and it will reduce the life of a heating element if it can't shed it's heat quickly. The difference may not show up for years but it's a real thing. Like not cleaning the lint trap in your dryer.

Also:
    *They can't be turned on until the bike has run for a few seconds. Something about the alternator not joining the party until the bike has been running for 5-10 seconds.
    *The left heating element is installed on a metal bar, the right on a plastic throttle, there is temperature imbalance. Most heated grips try to balance this by putting less current through the plastic one but it is an imperfect solution that you may notice.

In defense of after-market, there are some that allow finer control of temperature and may be easier and cheaper to replace one or both heaters if they go out.
    Lots of choices!

Maybe they could build wireless charging type device into grips that would allow for wireless heated gloves?

Best of luck either way!

I've never had heated grips before this bike. (2016 OEM)I love them and use them all the time. It's really nice to not have to break out the bulky heated gloves until really extreme cold.

Jason

I’ve got a Deluxe with factory heated grips. Have used them several times and they do the job. The factory heated grips on my 1200 VFR were much better though.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Mine work perfectly but my Gerbin headed gloves are even better.
    +1, they work really well but the Gerbing's work better. For everyday quick riding or beginning of the cool season they're perfect but once it starts getting really cold or you have a longer ride the Gerbings work better as they keep the top of your hands warm too. I have an older set of hybrid Gerbings that run off of either a cord or their own battery. I usually just use the battery.

My Deluxe came with them and I added a set of Baker wings (under the mirrors) to block the wind. Now I can ride with a lighter pair of gloves in sub 30 degree weather.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.