RDL Fun?

Thread: RDL Fun?

RDL Fun?

This may seem like an odd question, but I'm looking for opinions on the subjective experience of riding an F6B with a Russell, besides the comfort aspect. I'm probably going to get one for long distance trips regardless, due to the nearly perfect track record for comfort, but I'm still curious to hear rider opinions on other aspects.

Do you feel connected to the bike when you're sitting on it while riding? Are you IN the bike? On the bike? Does it feel like it puts you in the pocket of the bike, or are you so reclined that you're comfortable, but sort of "out" of the experience of riding?

I love the B. It seems to just get better and better. But the one area I sort of wiggle around on is rider position. Unfortunately, the false tank really sits too low to fully grab it with my legs, unless I scootch all the way to the nose of the seat, and angle my legs down. Every time I do that, I sigh a little relief, because you can ride with your legs, which is a great way to really control the bike, take pressure off the shoulders, and really connect you to the road. But of course, in doing so, your feet are really awkward on the pegs since the bike isn't set up for that position.

I know the Russell won't solve that dilemma, so I'd like to hear about how the change in position affects the subjective gray area, so to speak. The fun factor. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Jason

The Russell design, for me, keeps the butt alive and well. The design also puts one BACK into the seat as you take off from a light. It's design puts you back while riding and makes you somewhat pull yourself forward at a light when stopped to put your feet flat on the ground. Russell can shape the front of the seat any way you like so it does not have to have that specific design. I feel very connected due to the tractor-style design of the seat. I'm in it, not on it, and the design supports the outer areas of you rear, not the tailbone like the stock seat did for me. If you like to get on the nose of the seat, you could explain that style of riding to them for a custom fit. I would bet that Russell could solve your issues, as you have time to try it out and then send it back for alterations within a certain period of time. I had heard that it was standard procedure for them to raise the seat a bit regardless of your specs and photos, but I told them I wanted it low and it came that way. Mine is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    I had heard that it was standard procedure for them to raise the seat a bit regardless of your specs and photos, but I told them I wanted it low and it came that way. Mine is perfect.
    Great info, Walcrow, thank you. I was also under the impression that an RDL had to be higher, so I'm really surprised and happy to learn you got yours lower. I have a Mustang and enjoy the lower position. If you have any profile pics of the seat on the bike, would you mind posting them here, http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?1...L-Profile-pics, so I can get a visual idea of the height difference? You mentioned on that link adding in some measurements, too. If you happen to have those, the more info the better. Thanks again, Walcrow!

Jason

My 3rd RDL just came in. I'm really looking fwd. to getting my butt "in" the seat for a day long ride. A RDL is the best $$$ you'll spend on your bike, second best $$$, Helibars.
    Better call Jay & get your name on RDL's list. They're booked 2months out. They take their time & do it right, don't get in a rush & they make every seat for that person. @ age 66 I sat in a RDL for 9 hours, 7 in pouring rain on a V-Strom. Got off stood up straight, no aches or pains that day or the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    Great info, Walcrow, thank you. I was also under the impression that an RDL had to be higher, so I'm really surprised and happy to learn you got yours lower. I have a Mustang and enjoy the lower position. If you have any profile pics of the seat on the bike, would you mind posting them here, http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?1...L-Profile-pics, so I can get a visual idea of the height difference? You mentioned on that link adding in some measurements, too. If you happen to have those, the more info the better. Thanks again, Walcrow!

Jason
    I might have some but if not, I'll roll her out and take some shots and give you the height from concrete to seat,etc. Probably in the am if it's sunny. I'm 5'11" with 32 jean inseam. I can flat foot it without sliding up on the nose of the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    My 3rd RDL just came in. I'm really looking fwd. to getting my butt "in" the seat for a day long ride. A RDL is the best $$$ you'll spend on your bike, second best $$$, Helibars.
    Better call Jay & get your name on RDL's list. They're booked 2months out. They take their time & do it right, don't get in a rush & they make every seat for that person. @ age 66 I sat in a RDL for 9 hours, 7 in pouring rain on a V-Strom. Got off stood up straight, no aches or pains that day or the next.
    I've heard that goat also runs marathons for the heck of it !!!

The RDL is the first seat I've owned where I wish the gas tank was larger so I didn't have to stop to refuel. Conversely, when I had the stock seat, even with the Utopia backrest, the closer the fuel gauge came to "E" the happier I was as I could walk off the numb butt, tailbone ache. You are in a pocket with those wings and however it works it makes the journey effortless. Mine did come 1-1 1/2" higher but has compressed over the 18 months I've had it, Russell projects about 5%. Here's a little video I made comparing the stock to the RDL heights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjcwAXq3Uq8&t=5s
    Equitare solum equitare amplius