2018 Goldwing ENGINE DRONE ???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Goldwing ENGINE DRONE ???

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

2018 Goldwing ENGINE DRONE ???

For those thinking of buying the NEW 2018 GOLDWING ....

From what I have read there might be a MAJOR problem just now being reported by a few new owners .... Engine DRONE between 65 - 75 miles per hour.
    If this is the case ..... get out your popcorn

This is a Touring Bike, if I had to be on the Interstate for hours .... I personally would not want a Engine Drone impeding my stereo system and driving me crazy.
    There are complaints about the Fit and Finish....... I am keeping what I have for a while.
    This Engine Drone will not be a easy fix, nope ....... Torq Loops won't help that.

I have not personally test rode one of these, I will WAIT for at least 1 or 2 years. This is a whole NEW Aluminum Engine and I am not ready to plop down money on a unproven engine.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

For those thinking of buying the NEW 2018 GOLDWING ....

From what I have read there might be a MAJOR problem just now being reported by a few new owners .... Engine DRONE between 65 - 75 miles per hour.
    If this is the case ..... get out your popcorn

This is a Touring Bike, if I had to be on the Interstate for hours .... I personally would not want a Engine Drone impeding my stereo system and driving me crazy.
    There are complaints about the Fit and Finish....... I am keeping what I have for a while.
    This Engine Drone will not be a easy fix, nope ....... Torq Loops won't help that.

I have not personally test rode one of these, I will WAIT for at least 1 or 2 years. This is a whole NEW Aluminum Engine and I am not ready to plop down money on a unproven engine.
    Agree 100%...I am beginning to question, at times lately, if whether or not Honda is having some quality issues...I do remember that they had a lot of engines blowing up in Indy cars for a while but seemed to have corrected it with later versions??....I have ridden Honda bikes for years with less issues, although, than other brands...I guess we "just wait and see"....Regards

Torque Masters pipes gonna make a fortune.
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

I saw quite a lengthy youtube review of the ST1833. The narrator mentioned it had a drone that would appear in top gear when nearing the 65MPH range. The review was fairly formal over a few days (had the bike on the road and on a showroom pedestal) versus just an average Joe's test ride review. There are so many youtube videos now, it is hard to find it again.

Maybe it's time to patent some "2018 Gold Wing Cat Pipe Cutters--Own the Drone"........might be slow sales for a while though!

Cruiseman just released his first ST1833 video of his new bike and confirmed the drone @ 65MPH in his video. He also has some gripes about fit and finish and can not fit his single HJC full face helmet in the trunk.

Last edited by ths61; 03-04-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Cruiseman just released his first ST1833 video of his new bike and confirmed the drone @ 65MPH in his video. He also has some gripes about fit and finish and can not fit his single HJC full face helmet in the trunk.
    Interesting. Similar look top case on the new BMW K1600B Grand America and it will take 2 full face helmets in the top case.

After viewing Cruiseman's video of the 2018 GW Tour, I think he has some valid issues for GW riders...I am presently not in the market for a new bike so I will wait and see what the future brings....Not interested in the full touring bike anyhow as I absolutely do not need, or want, all the electronic "whistles and bells, suspension adjustments, etc. etc....Otherwise it is a really nice bike, but as I pointed out on another post, Honda seems to have some "quality issues".....Regards

As someone who has owned a few ST1300’s and waited for many years for an updated version I smiled when others Forum
    members started to call the new Wing a ST1833. I thought the same thing and from the reviews I am beginning to think Honda has built a very, very expensive ST.

You can bet Honda is all ears on every review written on the 2018! Like every other manufacturer, be they auto or cycle, the introduction of "First Year Models" become "Owner Test Beds. Keen eyes and ears glean any and all info from reported and accomplished "warranty work"! Defective parts are returned to the manufacturer for "Finite Failure Analysis" and improvements inducted into the manufacturing process! Some manufacturers are quicker than others to respond to defects which are usually "safety" related. With Honda's long record of superb engine building, to include the new "sleeveless flat six" I highly doubt the heart and soul of the 18's would be anything to worry about. Drone is another matter! Honda listened to folks who complained of too tame exhaust! Achieving a nice/respectable rumble at idle was achieved. Hearing a 18 first hand at a local dealer, I was impressed. Unfortunately it seems, early on, that there has been a trade off! If the "drone" is as pronounced as initially reported, I'll be holding on to my 13 with stock exhaust. With 56K miles on the clock, original spark plugs in place, 40/42 MPG and the "brake recall" completed and equipped with options I deemed appropriate, My 13 my well be my first ever, 200K mile cycle!
    Last edited by bob109; 03-05-2018 at 08:24 AM.