CB radio

Thread: CB radio

CB radio

Anyone fitted a cb radio on the F6B yet? I ride with a group where everyone has a CB radio {mostly Harleys}, so ,was looking for a way to communicate or at least listen. Any info would be appreciated.
    I have a sena that i like but doesn't work with the group of course.
    Thanks,
    Barender

I just completed a winter project of installing a CB antenna in place of the FM antenna. Based upon advice from members on this forum I placed the FM antenna horizontally under the rear center cover (I don't really use the radio much, but this antenna seems to work just as well laying horizontal under the cover as it does in the vertical position). I was planning to make a bracket/mount for the CB antenna (Firestik 2') which a couple of forum members have done, but I decided to purchase an OEM FM antenna mount (~$50-60) and modify it, that way I would have the solid mount, in the proper place, and at the proper angle. I carefully drilled out the center of the new mount so that the CB antenna would fit the way I wanted it. I kept the FM antenna on the original mount so that I can remove the CB antenna if desired and simply put the FM antenna back in place.

I have the Midland 75-822 and have it laying in the left cubby. I now have bluetooth Sena 20S EVO in my helmet and used the Sena SR10 bluetooth unit to install PTT button on my handlebar and to input the Midland, GPS, etc into the bluetooth. These last steps might be more than you want to do, but I thought I would mention my installation. Nice and clean installation.

IMG_1113.jpg IMG_1126.jpg IMG_1129.jpg

Picture on left is of the original antenna mount for the FM antenna. Other two are with a modified mount with the CB antenna.
    Last edited by F6Bster; 03-05-2018 at 08:59 AM. Reason: To add pictures
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

I installed the Honda CB under the audio unit and left handle bar switches using the shop manual to make the wiring harness.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    I just completed a winter project of installing a CB antenna in place of the FM antenna. Based upon advice from members on this forum I placed the FM antenna horizontally under the rear center cover (I don't really use the radio much, but this antenna seems to work just as well laying horizontal under the cover as it does in the vertical position). I was planning to make a bracket/mount for the CB antenna (Firestik 2') which a couple of forum members have done, but I decided to purchase an OEM FM antenna mount (~$50-60) and modify it, that way I would have the solid mount, in the proper place, and at the proper angle. I carefully drilled out the center of the new mount so that the CB antenna would fit the way I wanted it. I kept the FM antenna on the original mount so that I can remove the CB antenna if desired and simply put the FM antenna back in place.

I have the Midland 75-822 and have it laying in the left cubby. I now have bluetooth Sena 20S EVO in my helmet and used the Sena SR10 bluetooth unit to install PTT button on my handlebar and to input the Midland, GPS, etc into the bluetooth. These last steps might be more than you want to do, but I thought I would mention my installation. Nice and clean installation.
    I have similar dilemma ... pictures please.

I also run a Midland 75-822 hand-held on a ram mount (off the clutch lever) with the antenna pointed at about a 45 degree angle to the left - to get it as high as possible. I never felt I needed a better antenna than the rubber ducky thing.

Maybe you'll need one if you ride with huge groups that get spread out, but I've been told in groups of 10-12 that I'm coming through as well as, and better than some of the oem cb's.

I put an accessory plug in the cubby for power. I use a wired headset - never got into bluetooth. That will probably
    change soon, as I've bought a 2018 Tour DCT. I will NOT be spending the $1700 CDN it will cost to install an oem cb.

My advice would be to get a Cobra hand-held. Not because they are better than the Midland, but because the aftermarket headsets are much easier to come by.

As always, YMMD

Quote Originally Posted by gadgeteer View Post
    I have similar dilemma ... pictures please.
    I just added a couple of pictures to my original post in this thread.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Yes, it can be done. Using a honda factory CB, installed under the radio and plugged into the radio. Installing CB switches on the left handlebar. I also mounted the CB antenna in place of the radio antenna.

Oh yes, it can be done, Right Yellow Rex

For those of you that installed the Honda Factory CB, can you show pictures or diagrams of what you did?

Following

I posted information about this, in The Garage forum area.

Thanks,