Timing Chain Cover - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing Chain Cover

I have the Fenda Extenda with no problems so far. It does keep some of the road debris from the front of the engine. However it is close to the tire and I guess if you picked up a lot of mud on your tire it cold hit the extension. Lets hope I never have that problem.

I haven't seen a fender extension that I like, not saying I wouldn't go that route but I just haven't found one that I would use.

2018 Goldwing DCT
    Matte Majestic Silver
    wide variety of music on the USB

@Joflewbyu2 ... It is not an oil bath type timing chain. I did have a very small amount of oil come out, maybe less than a teaspoon. If you take the lower cowl off (4 screws and 2 pins) you can get to the edges of the cover. I loosened the center access before removing the plate. An 8mm socket will loosen the bolts around the edges and I lightly pried the lower left edge with a large flathead screwdriver. Be aware that there is a sensor attached to the inside of the plate with a 10mm socket it can be removed. I have read that some disconnect the switch at the connector but I chose not to disrupt the connection. Many said that it was tough to remove the gasket but I found it came off rather easily. I ordered a gasket and it arrives Friday and the shop will have my cover finished Friday as well.

2018 Goldwing DCT
    Matte Majestic Silver

Thanks for the reply. I might just buy another cover and replace mine. I thought it might be more like an oil change amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimamiah View Post
    @Joflewbyu2 ... It is not an oil bath type timing chain. I did have a very small amount of oil come out, maybe less than a teaspoon. If you take the lower cowl off (4 screws and 2 pins) you can get to the edges of the cover. I loosened the center access before removing the plate. An 8mm socket will loosen the bolts around the edges and I lightly pried the lower left edge with a large flathead screwdriver. Be aware that there is a sensor attached to the inside of the plate with a 10mm socket it can be removed. I have read that some disconnect the switch at the connector but I chose not to disrupt the connection. Many said that it was tough to remove the gasket but I found it came off rather easily. I ordered a gasket and it arrives Friday and the shop will have my cover finished Friday as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimamiah View Post
    I will save the info on Colorrite because I'm sure it will come in handy at some point. Do you get it from the dealer, on line, parts house or paint store? Thanks
    Colorrite.com will get you there.
    Just to let you know 50 bucks is a good way to go.
    Have powder category wheels and that's the way to go.
    Would have cost you about the same to paint it.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Not saying that this was the cause ...

However, I have seen this before and there is a possibility that you ran over some brake fluid that a vehicle leaked on the road. If there was a small pool of brake fluid at a intersection and you plowed through it, it would have splattered on this cover. Just saying. Brake fluid eats paint and it doesn't take much.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

I wondered if something (chemical type substance) may have leaked down or been thrown up from the road....

2018 Goldwing DCT
    Matte Majestic Silver

WOW, I am very happy with the way it turned out. I had the 12 attaching bolts and the 6 bolts that attach the cowls done as well which was a few more buck. All in I have $75 dollars in it and no regrets. Now I'm on a mission to get it back together so I can ride but I have one obstacle in front of me, I promised the wife that I'd prep the garden today. (I like fresh veggies from the garden).

timing cover with center cap after.JPG

2018 Goldwing DCT
    Matte Majestic Silver

Most of GW timing chain covers start peeling in the upper left side corner first for some reason and then spread from there.
    On my 2006 GW, I finally just pulled it off, bead blasted it and then powder coated it myself about a year ago. I used a light gray, similar to the original.
    It came out very similar to Jimamiah's, and it's withstood a lot of road wear since with nary an issue.