Random non riders
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random non riders

Random non riders

I hate when non “bike” people try to talk motorcycles with me. I stopped in to a fast food joint on my way to work today and some guy wants to have a conversation. It went something like this..

Him: that’s a nice bike.. what kind is it?
    Me: It’s a Goldwing ( I didn’t want to explain the F6B thing)

Him: I had a CBR 750. It got stolen out of my front yard recently. My wife said I can’t get another.

Find it hard to believe he had a Late 80s Hurricane that somebody just had to have. Oh well, people are strange.
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

Yea, I find it difficult to explain the f6b thing also, so I just say its a goldwing and watch them take a second look.

I guess that conversation is similar in the way that older generations remember riding the original bike. Some people see me on my triumph and remember back when they had their right side shift brit bike. Or someone asks about my goldwing and remembers their '78 naked goldwing.

But maybe your convo was the opposite, and its just someone hoping your "cool" factor will waft over and help him be cooler.

Hard to tell.

A guy walked around my bike, looked at me & said, "nice Harley." == Me, 'That's no Harley, it's a Honda." == Him, "when did they start making them that big?" == Me, "about 50 years ago." I then walked away.

And then there's the guy who says, "I used to ride a '41 Indian but I had to lay it down to keep from gettin' run over by a '29 Packard. Too scared to ride after that."

I was at a car wash cleaning up the Valk years ago. I saw a little boy, maybe 6 years old staring at the Valk with the same wide-eyed expression I remember wearing at that age when looking at motorcycles while his Mom washed her car. Have to admit, it made me feel good, Valks are beautiful bikes. The sun was out, I was on top of the world. Then I hear the little boy say to his Mom "do you see that old man's motorcycle"? Then she replies in a hushed reverent tone, yes, it's a Harley.

I started the day as a middle-aged guy riding a bad-ass 6 cylinder motorcycle and finished it as an old man on a Harley. Sigh......

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    I was at a car wash cleaning up the Valk years ago. I saw a little boy, maybe 6 years old staring at the Valk with the same wide-eyed expression I remember wearing at that age when looking at motorcycles while his Mom washed her car. Have to admit, it made me feel good, Valks are beautiful bikes. The sun was out, I was on top of the world. Then I hear the little boy say to his Mom "do you see that old man's motorcycle"? Then she replies in a hushed reverent tone, yes, it's a Harley.

I started the day as a middle-aged guy riding a bad-ass 6 cylinder motorcycle and finished it as an old man on a Harley. Sigh......
    LOL, funny story.

And who here hasn't walked around a corvette, viper, Camaro, mustang... and thought that looks nice. Glad I have a bike that others admire even if they don't know all about it.

I hear ya...and I love looking at other motorcycles. It's fun to watch people stop and stare. My strangest interaction was when some dude said, "oh, is that a Mongoose?" I didn't even know how to respond...so I laughed. Sure, the F6B can be difficult to identify, but I'm pretty sure it looks nothing like a BMX bicycle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by DTOM View Post
    I hear ya...and I love looking at other motorcycles. It's fun to watch people stop and stare. My strangest interaction was when some dude said, "oh, is that a Mongoose?" I didn't even know how to respond...so I laughed. Sure, the F6B can be difficult to identify, but I'm pretty sure it looks nothing like a BMX bicycle.
    Sounds good... Now I know what to name my bike.... I need some Mongoose stickers.
    Or I could put some Harley sticker on the bag covers so others would not be confused.
    Last edited by Felloverboard; 03-09-2018 at 04:12 PM.

I have been a motorcyclist for only 8 years (I am 42 y/o). However, my father has ridden for decades so I have been around bikes (not BMX) since I came out of the womb.

Coming to the game late, I brought a mature mind and astute observation (my wife is laughing over my shoulder) into riding motorcycles. Here are some random observations:

1. To non-riders, unless it is a crotch rocket or a BMW, it is a Harley.

2. Many are stunned that a bike as big as the F6B is even rideable. They don't believe me when I tell them it is the easiest motorcycle to ride that I have ever been on.

3. People are shocked to see the tech on my 2013 F6B, even though it dates back to the late 90s in terms of its innovation. I assume they are referring to all of the buttons on the fairing.

4. "I would never ride a motorcycle. Its not that I am worried about myself, it is the other drivers that scare me." -most common quote

5. Are you cold riding that thing? (this is on a 50 F day)
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6