Install instructions for Utopia drivers backrest
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install instructions for Utopia drivers backrest

Install instructions for Utopia drivers backrest

Does anyone know how to install the Utopia drivers backrest? Wish they would have posted instructions on the web site so you can decide wheither it's an install that you can do. I may use this and hold off on the day long seat till I get more bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Does anyone know how to install the Utopia drivers backrest? Wish they would have posted instructions on the web site so you can decide wheither it's an install that you can do. I may use this and hold off on the day long seat till I get more bucks!
    There is a youtube video showing the install. I don't have the link but it should be easy enough to find on youtube. The install is very simple Though I did feel a bit weird sinking a knife through the seat..............Dickie

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Yes, I know how to install the Utopia backrest.

The Utopia website does not post instructions on the how-to, because there are so many different applications, for so many different bikes, that it would be a large task for them to post ALL of the individual how-to instructions. I will say that when you do receive the Utopia backrest, it does come with fairly good instructions, and pictures, showing the how-to installation for your bike.

It is not difficult to do. In fact, it is rather easy (said by someone that has done it already)

The most difficult part of the job, is making that first cut...into your seat cover, and through the seat foam. That cut....will give you pause.
    Once you muster up the courage to make that first cut...you are then commited, and it will be easy from there forward.

TIP: Take your time before that first cut....make the measurements several times...mark the spot where you want to cut...with clearly visible marker...measure everything again, and again...then cut.

I actually installed mine on a RDL seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Yes, I know how to install the Utopia backrest.

The Utopia website does not post instructions on the how-to, because there are so many different applications, for so many different bikes, that it would be a large task for them to post ALL of the individual how-to instructions. I will say that when you do receive the Utopia backrest, it does come with fairly good instructions, and pictures, showing the how-to installation for your bike.

It is not difficult to do. In fact, it is rather easy (said by someone that has done it already)

The most difficult part of the job, is making that first cut...into your seat cover, and through the seat foam. That cut....will give you pause.
    Once you muster up the courage to make that first cut...you are then commited, and it will be easy from there forward.

TIP: Take your time before that first cut....make the measurements several times...mark the spot where you want to cut...with clearly visible marker...measure everything again, and again...then cut.

I actually installed mine on a RDL seat.
    I was wondering if it could be used on the RDL seat. That will save a few bucks knowing. Thanks for that info Miles...................Dickie

Thanks for both of your replies. I will search for the youtube video.

As you might discern from other posts on this issue, I had several sleepless nights before I finally did the install. It turned out to be easy to do. It comes with a template to size the seat cut properly, and your seat won't keep tearing outside of the actual purposeful cut you make. It takes a little patience to compress the seat cushion enough to connect the swivel portion to the post poking up through the seat from beneath, but its not a big deal. I was very happy with the Utopia backrest on my stock seat last season. Just do it!

Quote Originally Posted by db24 View Post
    As you might discern from other posts on this issue, I had several sleepless nights before I finally did the install. It turned out to be easy to do. It comes with a template to size the seat cut properly, and your seat won't keep tearing outside of the actual purposeful cut you make. It takes a little patience to compress the seat cushion enough to connect the swivel portion to the post poking up through the seat from beneath, but its not a big deal. I was very happy with the Utopia backrest on my stock seat last season. Just do it!
    Tend to have a good back so to this point have not needed a back rest and am hoping the mustang seat takes the place of a backrest as I get into longer rides w/a bike that needs to stretch it's wheels.

I have the Utopia on my OEM seat. Couldn't be more pleased. Just road from NC to Fl. 645 mi. Very comfortable all the way. Actually cushions the "whip" you can get from some road bumps. One of the things that helped me was to use a longer serrated knife to cut through the foam. take your time and the install will go smoothly. Great seat back! Ncf6b

Quote Originally Posted by NCF6B View Post
    I have the Utopia on my OEM seat. Couldn't be more pleased. Just road from NC to Fl. 645 mi. Very comfortable all the way. Actually cushions the "whip" you can get from some road bumps. One of the things that helped me was to use a longer serrated knife to cut through the foam. take your time and the install will go smoothly. Great seat back! Ncf6b
    Amen I am on my third Utopia.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800Utopiabackrest2.htm

It's very easy to do use a serrated knife blade to cut the foam it will pull it out as you cut it.
    Ok he's done