Ultimate drivers seat backrest needed...

Thread: Ultimate drivers seat backrest needed...

Ultimate drivers seat backrest needed...

I posted this on facebook as well.... It looks like i am considering an ultimate drivers seat backrest. Any info on them would be helpful.

I need a drivers backrest.. suggestions, pictures and prices would be helpful. I also have the stock / rock Honda seat. Had a 650 mile trip this past weekend and I am sore. Does the mustang seat move provide the backrest support? I am 5ft 7 so need something shorter and lower if possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2015 F6B owner (purchased new 10/29/16)
    Traded in my 2014 CTX 1300
    Sold my 1995 Nighthawk
    Sold (1st bike) Kawasaki Vulcan 500

I installed one of these backrests a few years ago...had the same experience. After a long trip, I came home and my arms/shoulders were in rough shape.

I don't have any photos of me modifying the seat pan, but it is really easy. As in any advice, my top recommendation is TAKE YOUR TIME! I think going as slow as I did, it took me about an hour to do the mod.

If I recall correctly, you need a longer knife, which I made use of a larger steak knife with a finer serrated blade, it wasn't that rough. I think there is a template for locating the cut in the seat where the bracket is punched through the seat. The knife is used to separate the foam internally in the seat to dislodge it so you can force the bracket up on the seat pan and punch it through the seat. There are something like four bolts that are easily used to attach the bracket to the bottom of the seat.

What I like about the backrest is that you can remove it easily, AND it looks like it is built for this seat...in other words, it doesn't look ugly on the bike. I made a quick disconnect for the bolt that holds the backrest in the bracket, just a few clever handles from a hardware store, I can easily remove it with bare hands without any problem. Also, the backrest can be adjusted fore/aft which may take a few adjustments to get just right, but it is almost infinite in range.

I am 5'8" and have the back rest almost all the way to the forward position, it pivots and is quite comfortable. I can now do 500 mile days that I could never do before on the bike. I think there is someone with photos of the back rest install. It really is not too difficult to get right, I highly recommend the backrest. I don't think the gunfighter seat would be the way to go compared to a true backrest like this.

If you are just wanting a backrest, get a Utopia. I've had one on every bike and they are comfortable. About $200 new. I had one on my F6B before I bought the Ultimate set which came with the backrest.

I am assuming you are referring to the utopia add on backrest? It looks like you still have the stock seat.

My suggestion would be putting the backrest money towards a new seat. It hurts ponying up the cash up front but getting rid of the stock seat really seems to be a choice most riders don’t regret. Mustang ultimate and Russel all offer more lumbar support over stock as well as less reach to the bars and the ground for us shorter riders. My ultimate completely changed the way the bike rides and feels and I can now ride all day without any pain. I do have a rider backrest but rarely use it.

I know I am always chiming in when it comes to seat selection but I went from considering selling the B to never wanting to get rid of it. I just hope I can help someone else in the same regard.
    Last edited by P.Sutton; 03-14-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Anyone got a few pics of the Utopia. How far forward can it adjust? I ask because the internet pics I've seen seem to look like it is too far back.
    2013 F6B in black of course

I don't think I have any pictures of it, but it is adjustable to go forward and backwards by using a set screw/bolt. It makes the stock seat 100 times more comfortable in my opinion, but I still didn't like the stock seat. I sold my Utopia after getting an Ultimate King which was slightly used. I'm a big guy and it is very supportive and sturdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaWadd View Post
    Anyone got a few pics of the Utopia. How far forward can it adjust? I ask because the internet pics I've seen seem to look like it is too far back.

Yes the Utopia add on for the stock seat. I agree getting a new seat is better, but they are pricey and this is what I used right after I bought my bike in order to feel a little better and they are pretty cheap. I found a used Ultimate King with both backrests and a set of Vance and Hines pipes barely used for $1200 for both. Good deal when you price these separately. Just got to be quick on the used parts when they pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by P.Sutton View Post
    I am assuming you are referring to the utopia add on backrest? It looks like you still have the stock seat.

My suggestion would be putting the backrest money towards a new seat. It hurts ponying up the cash up front but getting rid of the stock seat really seems to be a choice most riders don’t regret. Mustang ultimate and Russel all offer more lumbar support over stock as well as less reach to the bars and the ground for us shorter riders. My ultimate completely changed the way the bike rides and feels and I can now ride all day without any pain. I do have a rider backrest but rarely use it.

I know I am always chiming in when it comes to seat selection but I went from considering selling the B to never wanting to get rid of it. I just hope I can help someone else in the same regard.