Do you 'lock it up'... on overnight tour stops? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you 'lock it up'... on overnight tour stops?

Quote Originally Posted by OlyF6B View Post
    Locking forks is one deterrent but won't help if a pickup truck and a bunch of strong guys stop next to your scoot and simply pick it up and place into the bed of the truck. This is a common method of stealing scoots. IMO, if you're leery of an area, use a high-quality "chain/lock" (i.e., difficult for bolt cutters to cut) to secure the bike from being lifted.
    I few years back I heard of a group that ran around with a modified minivan. They had welded in some type of support to enable them to cut out the rear axle an they would either open the hatch and back over your bike or roll it in. They had a electric hoist inside and just thru a strap around the bike and picked it up. The reality is if someone really wants it they will get it.

Ya, that ten letter minimum has got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by OlyF6B View Post
    Locking forks is one deterrent but won't help if a pickup truck and a bunch of strong guys stop next to your scoot and simply pick it up and place into the bed of the truck. This is a common method of stealing scoots. IMO, if you're leery of an area, use a high-quality "chain/lock" (i.e., difficult for bolt cutters to cut) to secure the bike from being lifted.
    Bolt cutters are a little "old school". Any bike thief worth his salt now, uses a cordless angle grinder with a cut - off wheel. Just saw a comparison of the top disk locks, and the best one only lasted a couple of minutes... the average was under a minute, iirc. I would like to know just how strong the fork lock is on the F6B. That seems about the best deterrent to me, if it is strong enough?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    Bolt cutters are a little "old school". Any bike thief worth his salt now, uses a cordless angle grinder with a cut - off wheel. Just saw a comparison of the top disk locks, and the best one only lasted a couple of minutes... the average was under a minute, iirc. I would like to know just how strong the fork lock is on the F6B. That seems about the best deterrent to me, if it is strong enough?
    I've seen video's of thieves sitting on a bike and kicking the handlebar hard; to break the steering lock mechanism. Not sure if it could be done with our F6B's

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I always lock the handlebars to deter someone from moving it. I also use a lightweight rain cover to keep the debris and eyes off of it. I have a stuff sack for the cover so there is no problem storing it if it gets wet. I very seldom use a cable or disk lock.
    Last edited by ths61; 03-23-2018 at 12:40 PM.

I have used the fork lock a couple times just paranoid more than anything for where I was. Unplanned stops where conditions stated next lodging ,I dont care what it is.
    Given the choice though I park at my room window or where the front office is.Considered a disk lock and read a story where the guy forgot to unlock it before taking off. The damage was crippling. Then I have a buddy at work where someone hit his bike with the disk lock on the front wheel. What could have been a tip over turned into massive front end damage.
    Do what makes you comfortable,my plan B for that is I have enough to get home and insurance....and a really f***ed up attitude if I see someone trying to take my precious