Do you 'lock it up'... on overnight tour stops? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you 'lock it up'... on overnight tour stops?

I stayed in the worst rathole I've ever stayed in. When I checked in the owner told me he had cameras all around and ran a tight ship as far as security(house cleaning not so much&#128551 "No hookers, no drug dealers, no thieves". I lost my headlights that night when I went to dinner. I came back from dinner and 5 minutes after I started working on the bike he was out there wanting to know who I was and what I was doing. After he found out he even loaned me tools. I had no worries about the bike that night but I still wouldn't sleep there again.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatnbeat View Post
    I stayed in the worst rathole I've ever stayed in. When I checked in the owner told me he had cameras all around and ran a tight ship as far as security(house cleaning not so much��) "No hookers, no drug dealers, no thieves". I lost my headlights that night when I went to dinner. I came back from dinner and 5 minutes after I started working on the bike he was out there wanting to know who I was and what I was doing. After he found out he even loaned me tools. I had no worries about the bike that night but I still wouldn't sleep there again.
    You get what you pay for. For sure. Been there, done that.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

No. It's why God created insurance. The only time I lock it up is when I ride it to Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewreck View Post
    No. It's why God created insurance. The only time I lock it up is when I ride it to Mass.
    Funny! Had to say more cause it said just (Funny!) was too short a message.

Good Topic....I am with the majority as I may lock the forks and try to park in front when at hotels. Been lucky never to have had an issue but have heard horror stories where trips were ruined. Bought and used a disk lock when I had my Triumph Adventurer, but never used it on the F6B. I know, crazy, right?....using it on a $6k bike but not on the $18k one.

Was looking at a wheel lock. But not sure if it would fit

salesman said. “Nobody steals gold wings”!!!!

At motels I pull the gas cap and cubby keys, lock the fork, cover the bike. The cover keeps the parents from plunking their kids on the bike for a photo shot. Kids don’t know not to drag their feet across the paint work. Neither does the guys wife/girlfriend.

Locking forks is one deterrent but won't help if a pickup truck and a bunch of strong guys stop next to your scoot and simply pick it up and place into the bed of the truck. This is a common method of stealing scoots. IMO, if you're leery of an area, use a high-quality "chain/lock" (i.e., difficult for bolt cutters to cut) to secure the bike from being lifted.

While the most common stolen brand bike is a Honda less than 1% of all stolen bikes are touring bikes. Scooters, dirt and sport bikes rule the list by far.

If one cared to they could make up a simple alarm. A switch ( either mercury or mechanical) that will sound the horn if the bike is righted from it's sidestand position. Simple, cheap and reasonably effective.