GPS hearing/audio question?

Thread: GPS hearing/audio question?

GPS hearing/audio question?

my experience with GPS is that I listen to the audio rather than look at a screen.

Can the audio be heard from the on board bike speakers while riding?
    thanks

Yes.
    I use Garmin 660. The hard wiring coming out of the mount includes an audio out receptacle that you can directly plug the audio input wire in the left cubby. I pulled the input plug through the bottom of the cubby and securely plugged it into the garmin receptacle under the cubby. Then just hit AUX and you have sound through speakers. I put a bunch of music on the Garmin so I still have music, which then gets interrupted by the voice commands. I only use the Garmin audio when in city conditions when I cannot look at the screen.

Do you use a headset. If so its a snap with the Sena stuff.

no, I don't use a headset. my hearing is somewhat compromised and headsets are a no go for me. so am asking if the bikes speakers are loud/clear enough when on the highway.

Papabruce, do you ride with ear plugs?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by papabruce View Post
    no, I don't use a headset. my hearing is somewhat compromised and headsets are a no go for me. so am asking if the bikes speakers are loud/clear enough when on the highway.

Yes the speakers are plenty loud to hear directions. You do not say which GPS you have but both the Zumo 550 I had and the current 590 tie into the bike system and play music and GPS instructions thru the speakers. I'm sure you know a GPS is to assist you with your route and is wrong enough sometimes to tell you to make a poor choice. In other words don't let it make you drive off a cliff.

I can't wear earplugs. regardless I bought a Zumo yesterday and will be trying it out.... if the snow ever melts!

thanks all

If you do not need to see the screen the device will work inside the glove box. If you have the accessory plug you can plug in there and use the audio plug to route to your speakers. No need to do a handlebar install if you don't want to. Try it with your Garmin before you go to the bother of installing on the handlebars. I used to do this with my cell phone based gps application until I bought my Garmin 395.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396