Rode 4 Indians at a Demo event today...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rode 4 Indians at a Demo event today...

Rode 4 Indians at a Demo event today...

Okay, so I have to figure out what the deal is with our suspensions. Of the 4 Indians that I rode today, the Scout was the only one that didn't have a more plush and enjoyable, for the sake of cruising, suspension than my F6B. Obviously, ours handles sportier riding MUCH better, but that is not a priority for me on the B. Comfort is.

Before anyone gets too defensive, don't get me wrong here. I love the B. And the engine and transmission are second to none for both performance and lack of heat. I don't know how anyone in Texas deals with the heat coming off that back cyclinder on the Indian. Wow. Roasted nuts anyone? However, the riding triangle was super comfortable on all models, and both the forks AND the rear suspension just seemed to soak up the road so much better. On the B, it's almost always a distraction, and at worst, pretty jarring. Not to mention, even with Heli bars, I'm having trouble finding the sweet spot for a comfortable triangle.

I have a few hypothesis, and I guess I'm going to have to research and test them as much as I can to figure this out. The first thing that comes to mind is a much bigger front tire. More rubber equals less jarring. Never ceases to amaze me when one goes from low profile tires on a car to long lasting tires with loads of tread. The difference in the ride is always remarkable. I have seen a bigger front tire on a B before, but I'm not sure if other mods had to be made to accomodate. Any input here would be appreciated. I haven't checked fork diameters of the B versus the Indians, but it's also possible that there is just more surface area to the springs. Is it even possible to change to larger forks? Another thing which I'm not sure is possible to change is the spring tension for the throttle. It's SO much easier to twist on the Indians. What would one have to do to lighten this on the B? Pull the bike all the way apart to get to the throttle bodies and put in a lighter spring?

The rear seems easier to tackle. Arnott air shock. Eventually. When I win the lottery.

ANY input or thoughts are appreciated on this topic, as crowdsourcing this will make it easier to tackle. However, please don't think I'm trying to run down the bike. I'm not. I'm trying to make one of the best motorcycle platforms on the planet more comfortable to me.

Jason
    Last edited by Verismo; 03-24-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Jason.....

An inexpensive option for the rear is to go Darkside and try a car tire. Looks like the average pressure from the guys here is in the 32 - 34 lb range in the back. For about $150 or so, you could try that out. Hopefully those here who are riding on a CT will chime in as to comfort WITH the stock rear shock. That's cheap city compared to Arnott or Traxxion plus the benefit of God knows how many miles you'll get off that CT.....30,000 miles or more? I've got a back-up rear black rim with a brand new Bridgestone on it from a trike maker and will be putting a CT on it over the next few weeks to see if the GF gives it a thumbs up or down. I've yet to find the sweet spot on the rear knob setting to date for both of us.

Jason, what tire pressures are you running? The owner's manual has the front tire at a lower pressure, presumably to make the softer tire pressure part of the front suspension system. As for the front forks, there are a few options including Progressive and Traxxion, there maybe others.

Walcrow-- A dollar to a donut says you're exactly right about the CT on the rear adding some comfort for a low investment. I imagine, at some point, I'll give that a try. It makes me slightly nervous at this point still owing as much as I do on the bike considering insurance may have something to say about it if something goes wrong. Also, it's not like any of the Indians had car tires on them, so I'd really like to at least figure this out, if not outright fix the issue.

Ths61, I'll have to check tire pressures to see if they've drifted from the stock settings. I haven't checked in a couple of rides. I was considering the monotubes for fork replacements, but I still haven't heard too many people talking about there being a big improvement in plushness, which is what I'm really looking for. Most people I've heard that mention those or the Traxxion upgrades talk about losing the steering wobble, and a general sense of a taut locked-in suspension after the upgrade, but that is flat out not what I'm looking for. Those Indians today SOAKED up the road imperfections, and if it's not a fixable issue on the B, then I'd at least like to identify why that's the case. I doubt this is all that complicated. It's just difficult to pin down because of the first person nature of the experience.

Jason

I just compared fork specs from the B to the Chieftan, and the Chieftan is a millimeter wider, but has a 10th of an inch less travel, and weighs about 30 pounds less. I have no idea what the spring rates inside the forks are, but the dimensions seem too close, at least upon superficial inspection, to be the culprit.

Verismo, I don't pretend to be a suspension expert by any means, but after reading this I'm wondering if you didn't hit on it with your other thread about rake & trail. Do you know what the R & T is on those Indians? Maybe, just maybe that difference is making the front wheel of the "B" react in more of a straight line to the handlebars thus causing that roughness, whereas if the Indian's wheel was reacting to bumps in a not so direct path to the bars, the bumps would be soaked up so to speak by the geometry of the front end.
    Just some thoughts, I really have no idea.

I have the Traxxion Full Monty and it adds zero "plushness". However, it improves every other facet of riding/handling.
    "... there may be more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy."

2016 Honda Goldwing F6B
    Traxxion Mega Monty

1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
    16K, all original

Unsprung weight is suspension stressor so bigger tire might bridge road imperfection but will ride and make handling likely worse. Low profile tire have stiffer sidewalls and those tires absorb less road feel. I bet if you rode 2 up or put those Indians through some curves you would start to feel many issues with soft normal ride.

I owned a 2016 Indian Chief. Not long after I brought it, I was in the Honda dealership to P/U a throttle rocker for the Chief. I was looking at a "B's" they sitting on the floor when a young salesman said, "want ah take it for a ride?" Let me run home & get my helmet & jacket. I took that new 2016 "B" for about 15 miles run. When I got back I tried to make a deal but the dealer fees (almost 2k) ran me off. I brought a very nice 2013 "B" & put the '16 Chief on the market with only 600 miles on the clock.
    I found the Chief very, very top heavy, handled awful, rear cylinder heat would cook your "doda's", sweat something awful. After a ride it would take me 2-3 hours to clean it. It had a beautiful Corvette red & pearl white custom paint job, a real eye catcher. I sold it. Did better than I thought I would, lost a few bucks but I was never so glad to get rid of a bike in my life.
    I've owned several dozen bikes but this is my first Honda, I must say, I think Honda has this whole motorcycle thing figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    ... Most people I've heard that mention those or the Traxxion upgrades talk about losing the steering wobble, and a general sense of a taut locked-in suspension after the upgrade, but that is flat out not what I'm looking for. ...
    Jason
    The Traxxion front suspension got rid of the vibrations that were killing my wrists. It also got rid of the wandering and makes the bike track much better so it was both performance and a more comfortable ride for me. Their rear shock did not make the bike any more plush which was a disappointment.

Also look at the foam grip covers, they are very cheap. I have big mitts and they made my hands less cramped with the larger padded diameter. The heated grips still work through the foam grip covers.
    Last edited by ths61; 03-25-2018 at 04:01 PM.