Rode 4 Indians at a Demo event today... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rode 4 Indians at a Demo event today...

This doesn't help the OP's question, but, all I know is, I rode my friends Roadmaster for a couple of backroad miles at his suggestion. He loves his and wanted me to try it. I couldn't wait to get my bike back. He said mine was ok, but wanted his back too. He likes his adjustable windshield, being a lot shorter than me. It just shows you that everyone is different and the perfect bike is an individual taste. I'm no perfectionist in handling and ride comfort. I haven't touched mine and am happy. The Indian was heavy and loud. I didn't have the time or expertise to critique it much more than that. I just think the Honda is the perfect bike for me.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    The Traxxion front suspension got rid of the vibrations that were killing my wrists. It also got rid of the wandering and makes the bike track much better so it was both performance and a more comfortable ride for me. Their rear shock did not make the bike any more plush which was a disappointment.

Also look at the foam grip covers, they are very cheap. I have big mitts and they made my hands less cramped with the larger padded diameter. The heated grips still work through the foam grip covers.
    I will definitely be getting those foam grip covers, and I appreciate the candor Ths61. I know it's tough to invest money into something and then have to critique it objectively, but I really appreciate the honest feedback because that's VERY helpful in, at the very least, beginning to ask the right questions, which brings me to six2go's thoughts-

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    Verismo, I don't pretend to be a suspension expert by any means, but after reading this I'm wondering if you didn't hit on it with your other thread about rake & trail. Do you know what the R & T is on those Indians? Maybe, just maybe that difference is making the front wheel of the "B" react in more of a straight line to the handlebars thus causing that roughness, whereas if the Indian's wheel was reacting to bumps in a not so direct path to the bars, the bumps would be soaked up so to speak by the geometry of the front end.
    Just some thoughts, I really have no idea.
    You and me both, six2go! If I had a real clue I would've fixed this already, lol. But there is something about your observation that rings true. There is some single thing, or some combination of the geometry of the rider triangle, and the geometry of the bike that contributes to this overall roughness, and I just haven't pinned it down, yet. As far as the rake on the Indians, I don't think that's all there is to the story. I actually rode five Indians, and just miscounted because two of them were black. Excluding the little Scout, which was "cute" but not in the same league, 3 of the Indians I rode had 25 degree rakes, and one had a 29 degree rake. They were all MUCH less harsh than the B. The biggest difference on the 29 degree rake was that the engine seemed to kick off WAY less heat to the rider, which was really interesting. The prevailing theory was that the wind was different due to the rake. But as far as I could tell, the 29 degree Indian, which is what our B is, didn't have a noticeably rougher ride.

I'm 100% spitballing here, but I wonder if the engine placement doesn't play a part in this. For most of my life, I've been completely enamored by the horizontally opposed Goldwing platform. I've owned 4 iterations of it, and have always marveled at its smoothness and linear torque delivery. For the first time, I'm wondering if having all that weight FORWARD doesn't set the forks up for a difficult to impossible task. If you think about a V twin, which I've always considered a far inferior, for the most part, engine, it does indeed have a higher center of gravity. But it also has the weight, due to the rear cylinder, spread more evenly over the wheelbase, possibly distributing forces more evenly over the front and back suspension. Maybe it's possible that because there is so much weight forward on the GL1800, the spring rates have an impossibly narrow margin between being stiff enough to keep the bike steady, or so soft that you get a dangerous pogo effect.

Has anyone on here ever tested lighter springs in the forks? I bet they bottom out pretty quickly. It would be interesting to hear some real world ride experiences.

Anyway, I am extremely busy at work for the next week, so I don't have much time to think on this. But I do love the feedback and read it and appreciate the time and ya'lls thoughts. Just coming up with the right questions would be a big step in mitigating the harshness as much as possible, even if it can't altogether be eliminated. Shoot for plush, land wherever physics says we have to, lol. And even sticking with stock, we're still talking about motorcycles and riding an F6B, so all is good!

Jason
    Last edited by Verismo; 03-27-2018 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    I will definitely be getting those foam grip covers, and I appreciate the candor Ths61. I know it's tough to invest money into something and then have to critique it objectively, but I really appreciate the honest feedback because that's VERY helpful in, at the very least, beginning to ask the right questions, which brings me to six2go's thoughts-

You and me both, six2go! If I had a real clue I would've fixed this already, lol. But there is something about your observation that rings true. There is some single thing, or some combination of the geometry of the rider triangle, and the geometry of the bike that contributes to this overall roughness, and I just haven't pinned it down, yet. As far as the rake on the Indians, I don't think that's all there is to the story. I actually rode five Indians, and just miscounted because two of them were black. Excluding the little Scout, which was "cute" but not in the same league, 3 of the Indians I rode had 25 degree rakes, and one had a 29 degree rake. They were all MUCH less harsh than the B. The biggest difference on the 29 degree rake was that the engine seemed to kick off WAY less heat to the rider, which was really interesting. The prevailing theory was that the wind was different due to the rake. But as far as I could tell, the 29 degree Indian, which is what our B is, didn't have a noticeably rougher ride.

I'm 100% spitballing here, but I wonder if the engine placement doesn't play a part in this. For most of my life, I've been completely enamored by the horizontally opposed Goldwing platform. I've owned 4 iterations of it, and have always marveled at its smoothness and linear torque delivery. For the first time, I'm wondering if having all that weight FORWARD doesn't set the forks up for a difficult to impossible task. If you think about a V twin, which I've always considered a far inferior, for the most part, engine, it does indeed have a higher center of gravity. But it also has the weight, due to the rear cylinder, spread more evenly over the wheelbase, possibly distributing forces more evenly over the front and back suspension. Maybe it's possible that because there is so much weight forward on the GL1800, the spring rates have an impossibly narrow margin between being stiff enough to keep the bike steady, or so soft that you get a dangerous pogo effect.

Has anyone on here ever tested lighter springs in the forks? I bet they bottom out pretty quickly. It would be interesting to hear some real world ride experiences.

Anyway, I am extremely busy at work for the next week, so I don't have much time to think on this. But I do love the feedback and read it and appreciate the time and ya'lls thoughts. Just coming up with the right questions would be a big step in mitigating the harshness as much as possible, even if it can't altogether be eliminated. Shoot for plush, land wherever physics says we have to, lol. And even sticking with stock, we're still talking about motorcycles and riding an F6B, so all is good!

Jason
    I know this is probably not the input your looking for, but perhaps you should consider trading for the new 2018 with the all new front suspension system??..Those that have ridden the thing say it is far superior to the older F6B front end.... I might look at doing something next fall, but like many others on this site I have invested a lot of money and time getting my current ride the way I want ...(Investment is a lousy word) as extra "bling" on a bike is a waste of money for the most part..I have Kury grips on mine,run about 37/38 lbs. in the front tire and it works okay for me...When the time comes, and I feel the need, I will probably trade, or install Progressive springs and All Balls bearings in the thing and ride it for a while longer....

Just a remark on front tire pressure; Traxxion Dynamics told me to run 34psi in my front tire; after I had their front suspension package installed.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Jason, you are not alone. I noticed the difference in ride quality when I rented a Chieftain in D-FW in November 2016. Very smooth, and absorbent. Remember that the Chieftain has an air shock in the back, which contributes to the ride quality.

I agree with the others that the Chieftain is a loafer, but the Honda is significantly faster and better handling.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Jason, you are not alone. I noticed the difference in ride quality when I rented a Chieftain in D-FW in November 2016. Very smooth, and absorbent. Remember that the Chieftain has an air shock in the back, which contributes to the ride quality.

I agree with the others that the Chieftain is a loafer, but the Honda is significantly faster and better handling.
    Thanks for the solidarity, VStarRider! I know we're not the only ones who feel this way. I found an informative thread on this topic here

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1...?action=thread

The GL1800 is an interesting platform. On a smooth surface, you really get to experience the unbelievable turbine-like powerplant and there's nothing like it. The whole bike feels like a miracle. However, on irregular or rough surfaces, that harshness gets translated right to the hands and the arse. If I had more time, I'd wrap an accelerometer around the bars and then go do the same thing to one of those Indians so we'd have some hard data rather than just the subjective experience. But since I don't, subjective will have to be good enough for now.

When I stand the bike up off the side stand, I notice that I lose at least an inch of travel on the forks. That makes me think that other observations are correct and that the bike is possibly undersprung. I think my first "fix" will be to install the Progressive Monotubes and see where that lands me. Next will be a bigger front tire that I can comfortably run 34 psi in. If it doesn't totally do the trick, I may eventually get a triple tree with more rake, and I'll do the tapered bearings at that point. My hypothesis is that if I rake the front end a few degrees, then that will center the engine weight some and spread it over front and rear suspensions more evenly. I'll lose some handling, but like I've said before, corner carving isn't my priority. A nice comfortable flat 6 is.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Just a remark on front tire pressure; Traxxion Dynamics told me to run 34psi in my front tire; after I had their front suspension package installed.
    I was actually doing that without knowing as I hadn't checked air pressure in a few rides, Willtill. Still didn't do the trick for me, but after I put it back at 41, I definitely noticed it.

Jason