Buffeting - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buffeting

A Honda Tall with vent came on the bike when I got it. I liked it. I changed to a Mstad with a 11 inch shield. I also like it. I see a little further over the Mstad than the Honda Tall, and it has similar protection. If you opt for a non Mstad shield, make sure you get a shield with a vent. The vent, aimed at the top of your helmet, will increase airflow and therefore keep the pressure high enough from allowing a low pressure area to form and suck in turbulent air around your helmet.

Jason
    Last edited by Verismo; 04-02-2018 at 01:46 AM.

That's interesting. Why is -------(Mstad) being censored?

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    That's interesting. Why is -------(Mstad) being censored?
    It appears that they are no longer a sponsor of this forum. Their banner is not on the homepage anymore. Actually there are several former sponsors who don't have banners anymore.

I have the Clearview shield, large/wide for our bike and I'm happy with it. I'm 6'2 and get very little buffeting.

I have a Windbender by Firecreek. It is a two piece adjustable windshield available in several heights. I am 5'11" and I have no buffeting in the next to the lowest position and I like the way it looks. It is one of the pricier windshields but this is the second bike I have had this windshield on and I would not hesitate to buy another one on my next motorcycle if it is a bike they make one for.

I know that many like the "ugly" Mastad, but not for me..Have the adjustable Baggershield on the bike for over 4 years and it works great for me...No buffeting, very little wind noise, and with the Mustang seat, Shoei helment and my 5' 9" size all is well !!!...Regards and ride safe

I put on a Honda tall before I picked up new. Then went to two variations of the Clearview windshields and now, finally, have a Baggershield extra wide and tall and it works well. Don't like the looks of the Marstad and wonder how well it works in heavy rain.
    "... there may be more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy."

2016 Honda Goldwing F6B
    Traxxion Mega Monty

1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
    16K, all original

I initially hesitated with the MStad myself back in '15. Their website pics do no justice, they look terrible compared to how the bike really looks with an MS installed...either that, or I have just gotten used to it.

I grit my teeth and ordered a 13" screen (I'm 6'1") and have no regrets. This is easily the quietest ride I have ever had on a motorcycle, often equivalent to driving a car with the sunroof open or both driver's side windows down.

The genius behind the MStad is that basically takes the concept of "lowers" and applies them to a windshield, smoothing out the windflow coming towards the rider, even with the screen far below eye level. This elminates 90% of buffeting and significantly reduces noise.
    Last edited by VStarRider; 04-02-2018 at 07:35 AM.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    I put on a Honda tall before I picked up new. Then went to two variations of the Clearview windshields and now, finally, have a Baggershield extra wide and tall and it works well. Don't like the looks of the Marstad and wonder how well it works in heavy rain.
    My helmet visor gets wet, because I keep the MStad angled towards me so I clearly see over it. Other than that, only my lap gets wet from rainwater dripping down from helmet. Tilted straight up, only the top of my helmet gets wet.

I am not sure how this compares to other windscreens, but on my VStars with big 21" Memphis Shades screens, I would significantly wetter...however, that may have to do with lack of coverage on the bike itself more than the windshield.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    Everyone that has a Mastad (sp) seems to love it, but I really don’t like the looks. I recently put a Clearview SportTour, Medium Height, Dark, with vent on my bike and I love it. I have it at the highest position and the air flows just over the top of my helmet. I do have Baker Mirror Wings also. I’m about 6’ and am riding on the stock seat.

And it looks GREAT and the quality is a 10. No good pictures yet but I will post a few when I get a chance to take them.

My real evaluation will be in early May, a 7-day trip to eastern Arizona and western New Mexico, probably just over 2k miles that week. I did get in a 240 mile ride the other day and I really liked how it performed.
    I used to look 'thru' windshields ... my Valkyrie, etc. ... then after deciding to wear a helmet on a regular basis, I decided I didn't need to be looking thru an additional sheet of plastic.
    SO, when I replace my Valk windshield, I went with a Clearview. But, short enough that I could look OVER it. I worked great. The wind was deflected over my helmet and I didn't have to be as concerned with a bug covered windshield to look thru.

When I bought my '15 F6B, I immediately went to Clearview. They had a 're-curve', lightly tinted, at a height I could look over the top that works perfect. NO BUFFETING!
    I've put over 10,000 miles on it since the purchase and would not consider anything else.

Just my opinion.