Trailer tire opinion

Thread: Trailer tire opinion

Trailer tire opinion

Going to replace some older tires on a 26' camper trailer, <5000LBs. Dual axel. Currently running 205/75-14 radials. Prices are all over the place 30 to 200 bucks. Do I need Radial or is bias OK? How many plys, 4 6 8? Any brands to avoid? Special place to get from on the internet? Should I just go to Wal Mart as they have places all over the US if I need help in the future?

Every trailer tire problem I have experienced was with bias tires. I used to carry three spares for one trailer before I finally switched to radials. I bought bias tires with load rating well above required and still experienced failures. Anytime I obtain a trailer with bias tires I immediately replace them with radials. I'd stick with the radials.
    Riding the upward spiral.

I echo JGF6B's comments. I know it's a much smaller trailer, but one of the problems I had with my Kendon was the profile of the bias ply spare they used to sell with the new trailers. I had to slap the spare on during a trip from Texas to Minnesota, and the high profile of the spare had actually rubbed through the corrugated loom and a bit of the wiring for the tail light on that side, by the time I got to Minnesota. I took a pic of the tires in my possession and sent it off to Frank Esposito at Kendon. He called later that day and told me that Kendon was changing the BOM for all their trailers the following model year, (2014), by no longer using bias ply tires for the spare. He said it was impossible to find good bias ply tires anymore, as there was no company in the US making them in the US, and the Chinese manufacturers had no consistent QC. The bias ply tire in the pic is one on the left, with a new radial in the center, and a used radial on the right. You can see the high crown of the bias ply; that's what ate up my wiring.

And for the record, while my experience with Kendon is the stuff of legends, (and not in a good way), Frank did send me a new wiring kit, and money to buy a new radial for my trailer. Great service.

check Discount tire direct web site for prices, then call for info. They'll ship right to your home or to one of their stores near you for free mount & balancing. They also have good deals on rims, either mounted w. tires or not. Check for some of their sales too.====== I've been buying from them for 10-12 years. I had one problem, 4 new tires to my door & they paid for them to be mounted & balanced my a mom & pop shop... I've had great luck & service with them.