Tpms - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tpms

It something difficult about some sensors making them hard to remove to add air? My Garmin sensors are no harder to remove than a normal valve stem cap. Still trying to understand the need for a "T".

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    It something difficult about some sensors making them hard to remove to add air? My Garmin sensors are no harder to remove than a normal valve stem cap. Still trying to understand the need for a "T".
    Two words: Wear (and) tear. If you did this quite often, the sealing surface in the sensor could become worn out/damaged, or the sensor's housing could eventually fail.

Plus... let's say that you remove a sensor to add air. You're going to have to then put it back on. You could lose a little air during that process of reinstalling it.

So much easier to just install the T-Valve, mount the sensor on top, and use the perpendicular stem valve to add (or remove are) as needed.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I'm using the Steel Mate TPMS. Haven't replaced the sensor batteries yet. Going on two years now....
    Will....Which one are you using? They have 4 models up to the TP-08.

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    I have to check. I’ll let you know.....

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    I have to check. I’ll let you know.....
    So I checked the box.. I have the TP-90 Am not sure where you are seeing TP-08 versions from.

???

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I'm also running the Steelmate TP-90 on two separate bikes. They work as Will posted, very well and easy to install. I have the T Vale stems on one bike and checking PSI before I ride is simple. The other bike is a pain having to remove the TPMS screw on transmitter just to check PSI.

ASLO keep in mind most all TPMS transmitters will NOT read accurate PSI after the bike has been sitting. The transmitters shut them self off and do not reactivate until you are moving above 15mph. So you can not walk up to a bike that has been sitting for a few days and get correct PSI. The system will have kept the last PSI reading in memory.
    The FOBO guys have said it is active all the time but I would think battery life would be very short if that is the case.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I'm also running the Steelmate TP-90 on two separate bikes. They work as Will posted, very well and easy to install. I have the T Vale stems on one bike and checking PSI before I ride is simple. The other bike is a pain having to remove the TPMS screw on transmitter just to check PSI.

ASLO keep in mind most all TPMS transmitters will NOT read accurate PSI after the bike has been sitting. The transmitters shut them self off and do not reactivate until you are moving above 15mph. So you can not walk up to a bike that has been sitting for a few days and get correct PSI. The system will have kept the last PSI reading in memory.
    The FOBO guys have said it is active all the time but I would think battery life would be very short if that is the case.
    I think this is true. Could explain possibly why I am enjoying such long battery life in the Steel Mate sensors. Why should they be constantly beaconing when the bike is not in use?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

So I checked the box.. I have the TP-90 Am not sure where you are seeing TP-08 versions from.

???
    Will........I might have landed on some old site that had those models. Thanks for the update and I'll check out the "90" model.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    What is the reason for the T valve stems? Is it only to avoid having to remove the sensor to add air? Is not the sensor about the same as a valve stem cap? I use the Garmin sensors that read out on my 590. Batteries about once a year for the sensors, none needed for the display.
    Im using the garmin 590. The reason for the t valve is the sensor is 80 bucks, thinking taking it on and off a lot might cause the seal to leak on the cap / sensor. The t valve is also a better valve. It seals better than the factory rubber, I maybee put air in once a month. With factory stem it was weekly. I hope you’re using a metal stem with your garmin caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiochris90 View Post
    Im using the garmin 590. The reason for the t valve is the sensor is 80 bucks, thinking taking it on and off a lot might cause the seal to leak on the cap / sensor. The t valve is also a better valve. It seals better than the factory rubber, I maybee put air in once a month. With factory stem it was weekly. I hope you’re using a metal stem with your garmin caps.
    Yes using Curvy Girl stems, very good quality. I have to add air maybe once every four or five months or so. Don't think my sensors have any danger of wearing out.