What happens after a cager hits a rider? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What happens after a cager hits a rider?

Failure To Yield is the traffic ticket written here in Texas, unless there are extenuating circumstances. Seems light, to me, when turning a car into the path of an oncoming motorcycle happens way too often, and is often a fatality.

The laws of physics trump the laws of the land. In all cases anything bigger than you has the right of way.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Army View Post
    The laws of physics trump the laws of the land. In all cases anything bigger than you has the right of way.
    Size (mass) is one factor in physics, but not the only one.

That's all well and good
    Have you ever experienced the Left turn thing?
    If you are not mentally ahead of the picture you will learn the hard way.

Never, ever, nonchalantly speed past a line of stalled cars (in either direction)
    TOTALLY agree.

The line of cars tightly packed together is one of the more scary situations to encounter as a rider. A cager, in the aforementioned line, not thinking about a bike, but looking at the turn he/she is about to make, can pull right in front of you and legitimately claim to never see you. Worst thing is, depending upon the exact timing and the intersection, there's no escape routes.

Limited sight lines, such as a short hill, also frighten me. I like the advice: "Be prepared to stop within the vanish zone" - the point of the road where it vanishes and you cannot see what is coming.

As for the topic of the thread, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with themselves or someone else in the aftermath of a crash. Without supplemental uninsured/underinsured and/or disability insurance, you could be in a world of hurt beyond anything physical.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

If the driver at fault does not cause a certain amount of damage or TOO much bodily harm and is not pursued by the victim, a fine according to the ticket is all they get. The more severe the incident the higher the cost for the one at fault. Doesn't matter who was driving what. Depends on the ticket and the charge Its up to the officer at the time. The victim can pursue and make things worse but its up to them. Every case is different. Thank God!
    I think the laws governing these things are fare. YOU have to defend yourself at all times.
    "He who endureth to the end shall be saved".
    ITS ALL GOOD

Its hard to make it to court laying in the hospital.............

Quote Originally Posted by thumper 549 View Post
    Its hard to make it to court laying in the hospital.............
    Or in a grave.

Wife and I hit by a drunk driver in 2000. 9th DUI, vehicular manslaughter charge in 1980. We both almost died. 9 surgeries, 3 months in hospital, and a year in rehab until I could walk again. Hospital bill over 2 million and he got 18 months for his misdeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewreck View Post
    Wife and I hit by a drunk driver in 2000. 9th DUI, vehicular manslaughter charge in 1980. We both almost died. 9 surgeries, 3 months in hospital, and a year in rehab until I could walk again. Hospital bill over 2 million and he got 18 months for his misdeed.
    Wow! That's awful. Hope you and your wife are well from that now...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537