Tridium LED Fog/Running lights
Ultimate Seats 2016
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Tridium LED Fog/Running lights

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Brazil, Indiana
    Posts
    69

    Tridium LED Fog/Running lights

    Found the Tridium LED Fog/Running lights for $220 with free shipping at Wingstuff and installed them last night. Number one, at least for me it was a time consuming install. Number two they are not a plug and play install on the F6B. To enable the running light and turn signal functions the instructions tell you to splice into the bike's wiring on the F6B. I elected not to do that and have them functioning from the supplied switch on max brightness only. I ordered Kuryakyn 7301 Adapter Plugs which I'll install between the turn signals and bike and splice into them instead of into my bikes wiring. Also, they don't really seem to have a side to side adjustment other than tweaking the mounts although the vertical adjustment works great. Will follow up after getting to use them at night here in deer country and again when I have the running and turn signal functions working. If you buy these allow yourself plenty of time for the install.

  2. #2
    Senior Member F6Bster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Colorado Mountains
    Posts
    318
    Yep, the wiring going to the mirror lights is very tight, so going the extension route is a good idea. Didnít know about that when I installed my Tridiums. I have no problem with cutting into wiring and so far so good.

    I really donít ride much at night so I donít know how much they help. I use them primarily for increased visibility in the day, and I run the fog lights on all the time as they are much more visible.

  3. #3
    Senior Member VStarRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Penfield, NY
    Posts
    730
    Wow, deja vu, I just was about to post about my Tridium lights.

    Yes, totally agree with Frye, it is a time-consuming install. It took me about a half of a day back in November, and that was just getting the lights installed and fog lights up and running.

    Took another half day to run the turn signal/running light wires up through the fairing, and I did the same thing you did, installed the Kury 7301 adapter for more wiring and to not cut into the factory harness. I soldered and heat taped into one of the extensions off the Kury adapter.

    I have a problem with mine.

    Everything works EXACTLY as it supposed to except ONE thing ...

    ... my left turn signal flashes the LED running lights on the Tridium light down in the cowl, rather than the amber LEDs. Right works great.

    I have double checked EVERYTHING, scratch that, TRIPLE checked. Every wire is connected the way is supposed to be connected, every connector is correct.
    My Honda signals, running lights and headlights all work as they are supposed to.

    I am going to call Big Bike Parts tomorrow as I suspect the left Tridium fog lights was improperly wired from the factory.

    Any suggestions?!?!
    Current ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; purchased 10/8/15
    Current mileage: 23,900
    Additions:
    *Angrystad, glovebox key knob, center stand, Tridium LED fog lights, foot wind deflectors, Ram mount, 12V fairing pocket, Baker wings, heated Corbin seat
    Current Wish List (subject to change):
    Remote saddlebag release, Helibars or Kury risers, some sort of footrest, Garmin 660 GPS
    2018 Miles:
    7,900 as of 9/23

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Brazil, Indiana
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Wow, deja vu, I just was about to post about my Tridium lights.

    Yes, totally agree with Frye, it is a time-consuming install. It took me about a half of a day back in November, and that was just getting the lights installed and fog lights up and running.

    Took another half day to run the turn signal/running light wires up through the fairing, and I did the same thing you did, installed the Kury 7301 adapter for more wiring and to not cut into the factory harness. I soldered and heat taped into one of the extensions off the Kury adapter.

    I have a problem with mine.

    Everything works EXACTLY as it supposed to except ONE thing ...

    ... my left turn signal flashes the LED running lights on the Tridium light down in the cowl, rather than the amber LEDs. Right works great.

    I have double checked EVERYTHING, scratch that, TRIPLE checked. Every wire is connected the way is supposed to be connected, every connector is correct.
    My Honda signals, running lights and headlights all work as they are supposed to.

    I am going to call Big Bike Parts tomorrow as I suspect the left Tridium fog lights was improperly wired from the factory.

    Any suggestions?!?!
    Please keep us posted as to how this turns out. Have to admit I was disappointed they weren't really plug & play as advertised.

  5. #5
    Senior Member VStarRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Penfield, NY
    Posts
    730
    Okay, first, let me say that I am super impressed by the fact that when I called Big Bike Parts, someone answered the phone... "Hello, Big Bike Parts, can I help you?" And the person I spoke to knew the Tridium lights, knew the F6B, and could speak to both knowledgeably.

    The guy I talked to suggested that it is possible the pin connector down at the light itself came loose. I am going to take the cowl off this weekend and check it out.

    If not, they will replace the unit .
    Current ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; purchased 10/8/15
    Current mileage: 23,900
    Additions:
    *Angrystad, glovebox key knob, center stand, Tridium LED fog lights, foot wind deflectors, Ram mount, 12V fairing pocket, Baker wings, heated Corbin seat
    Current Wish List (subject to change):
    Remote saddlebag release, Helibars or Kury risers, some sort of footrest, Garmin 660 GPS
    2018 Miles:
    7,900 as of 9/23

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Central, Fl.
    Posts
    862
    Yep a real PITA to install ! I hooked up the signals & put a toggle switched, Kisan modulator on the fogs. Put the toggle switch & eye in the R. shelter. Seems to work okay. I don't ride much at night either.

  7. #7
    Senior Member VStarRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Penfield, NY
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Okay, first, let me say that I am super impressed by the fact that when I called Big Bike Parts, someone answered the phone... "Hello, Big Bike Parts, can I help you?" And the person I spoke to knew the Tridium lights, knew the F6B, and could speak to both knowledgeably.

    The guy I talked to suggested that it is possible the pin connector down at the light itself came loose. I am going to take the cowl off this weekend and check it out.

    If not, they will replace the unit .
    UPDATE:

    Pulled the lower cowl, and discovered the problem with the turn signals.

    The little metal fitting (pin) crimped on to the wire, which then snaps into the light blue connector that then snaps into the wire that goes up to the turn signal in the mirror came loose.

    The pin had pulled out of the connector, as Big Bike Parts had suggested, probably when pulling wires up through the fairing.

    Those little connectors are such junk.

    I cut the connectors off each end and just soldered them together with shrink tubing.

    Everything works well now.
    Current ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; purchased 10/8/15
    Current mileage: 23,900
    Additions:
    *Angrystad, glovebox key knob, center stand, Tridium LED fog lights, foot wind deflectors, Ram mount, 12V fairing pocket, Baker wings, heated Corbin seat
    Current Wish List (subject to change):
    Remote saddlebag release, Helibars or Kury risers, some sort of footrest, Garmin 660 GPS
    2018 Miles:
    7,900 as of 9/23

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Brazil, Indiana
    Posts
    69
    The Kuryakyn 7301 Adapter Plugs came in so I finished my install. On first test one running light wasn't coming on. Turned out just as happened to someone else on this thread, a pin in the supplied connector had pushed backwards out of the connector. When I disconnected the connector to fix it, the locking latch broke off. I wound up cutting off the connector and hard wiring it. These supplied connectors seem to be crap! Turn signals, running lights and night time lights are all working well now. I do a lot of night riding on rural Indiana roads and these do help me spot our endless potholes, raccoons and deer. Considering how expensive these lights were and what a pain they were to install I'll be pissed if they last less than 100,000 miles. If they last the life of the bike, I'll be a very happy camper.

  9. #9
    Senior Member VStarRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Penfield, NY
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    The Kuryakyn 7301 Adapter Plugs came in so I finished my install. On first test one running light wasn't coming on. Turned out just as happened to someone else on this thread, a pin in the supplied connector had pushed backwards out of the connector. When I disconnected the connector to fix it, the locking latch broke off. I wound up cutting off the connector and hard wiring it. These supplied connectors seem to be crap! Turn signals, running lights and night time lights are all working well now. I do a lot of night riding on rural Indiana roads and these do help me spot our endless potholes, raccoons and deer. Considering how expensive these lights were and what a pain they were to install I'll be pissed if they last less than 100,000 miles. If they last the life of the bike, I'll be a very happy camper.
    Yep, thats me! Did the same thing you did. Got pissed, fired up the soldering gun, and the rest is history.

    Everything continues to work well from me. I followed my wife home from an ice cream date last week and she said that I am extremely visible with the fog lights or running lights on. She said that made her think how hard it is to see the bikes with just one light, in comparison.

    Question for you --- how did you stuff your wiring back in behind the mirror? I cannot seem to get all those wires back into that small space, especially with the Kury connector, without a lot of hairpin bends in the wires. This worries me for the long term. I am wonder if I should put in some of those ... ummm... what are they called ... keep the wires straight near the connectors ... wire looms?? Anyway, do you have any advice on how to get those wires back so they aren't so bent and may possible break down the road?
    Current ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; purchased 10/8/15
    Current mileage: 23,900
    Additions:
    *Angrystad, glovebox key knob, center stand, Tridium LED fog lights, foot wind deflectors, Ram mount, 12V fairing pocket, Baker wings, heated Corbin seat
    Current Wish List (subject to change):
    Remote saddlebag release, Helibars or Kury risers, some sort of footrest, Garmin 660 GPS
    2018 Miles:
    7,900 as of 9/23

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    11
    Hi
    I have one of these kits and upon trying to install it I find my 2013 is not fitted with the fog light plugs that are located near the horns. Nor is the connector under the radio controls fitted with a 4 pin plug, it only has 2 in it, unlike the pic attached. Any help or ideas would be appreciated thanksf6b fog plug.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •