Talk me into, or out of, DCT please
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me into, or out of, DCT please

Talk me into, or out of, DCT please

I would love to hear some pros and cons of this. I have a good deal on a barely used on close by, and just curious about this DCT.

I would sure have to wonder why someone traded in an almost new bike. I read somewhere about a new Owner having a problem that could not be fixed to His satisfaction so they made Him a good offer on a trade for a manual and He took it. Now I have to wonder who will get the auto they failed to make perfect. I would love to try/own one of the new DCTs.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I would sure have to wonder why someone traded in an almost new bike. I read somewhere about a new Owner having a problem that could not be fixed to His satisfaction so they made Him a good offer on a trade for a manual and He took it. Now I have to wonder who will get the auto they failed to make perfect. I would love to try/own one of the new DCTs.
    They also have a lightly used manual. I can see this new Goldwing not appealing to the traditional goldwing crowd. Both traded in their 2018's for 2017's. Seperate deals, totally unrelated. I have not ridden one yet, but sitting on them reminds me more of an ST than a Goldwing. The luggage being quite a bit smaller could be a factor. I am almost more tempted in a lightly used 2015-2017 than the new one myself...if I were to make a move. I love the F6B so much, I'm just not sure I want to do anything at all. It's always fun to go look, though.

Rode the DCT Full Wing at Daytona Bike Week.
    The performance in Sport Mode was simply amazing. However, you better have a VERY well trained throttle hand, calibrated to microns, not millimeters.
    The other 3 modes? Meh.
    I don't like the 2018 functionally for lack of fuel and lack of storage. Aesthetically, I don't like the jagged edges over the nice body flow that Isleen has.
    Plus, Isleen already has a the Traxxion Mega Monty, Upset-Stad windshield, Corbin Smuggler, etc and doing that all for another bike just seemed silly.
    Plus, Isleen only has 73,500 - she's just getting comfy with her lot in life!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

1st production year. Nuff said (unless you want to pay for beta testing).
    Last edited by ths61; 04-18-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Exactly as stated by 53driver, the dct definitely has a learning curve. I remember the test ride on my VFR, it was so different but fell in love with it right from the start. You don’t have the clutch to help you apply throttle smoothly and disengage drive when braking. Along with not having a foot shift lever and clutch lever, you need to retrain your right hand for very smooth application of throttle. It’s just very different. You won’t get the full feel for a dct taking one test ride.
    I would suggest taking several test rides and in between going back and riding your standard shift bike over a period of time. Each time reflecting on how you like the dct. I love my “6” , but I do miss riding my now sold dct VFR.

Thanks Soupbean. Did you miss the clutch on the vfr? It sounds like one of those deals where you didn't know what you had until it was gone? What are the advantages of not having to shift? Did you wish you had a manual while on the vfr? I really didn't start out thinking about the DCT, but the idea is intriguing.

I rode one last week and was impressed with the DCT tranny.Once I stopped reaching for the clutch handle that is.Very sedate in tour mode and lots of fun in sport.Plus the feel from the front end was really nice.That being said it did feel small-more sport bike feel and the bags are much smaller for sure.When I got back on my 13 F6B I realized the 18 was not for me as the F6B feels perfect under my big behind.I will have the Traxxion mega monty done and a RDL saddle soon so I figure 4 grand or so in the current ride sure beats 15 grand to upgrade to the 18 model.Which ever way you go ENJOY!

Well, as far as missing the clutch.. I would say no. The VFR was essentially a sport bike, I thought of it more as a grand touring sport bike. So when you were at a stop light or stopped in traffic you couldn’t pull the clutch and blip the throttle of this marvelously engined bike. So other than that, no. On that note, heavy traffic and stoplights suck riding a standard shift bike after you’ve been on a dct bike. The Honda dct shifts so smoothly and accurately, it’s really just incredible letting the dct do its mechanical and electronic thing. A human being literally cannot shift as smoothly and quickly. The VFR had quite a motor in it, 1,237cc V-4 with 95 ft lb and 170 hp. But it weighed 650 lbs , so I wouldn’t really call it a sport bike with sport bike quickness. From a dead stop, side by side, I could take anything off the line. Didn’t matter if it was a car or bike. That was due to the dct, just twist the throttle to lock and instant time warp. CBR 600’s and the like would pull ahead after reaching triple digits because of the weight advantage, but they couldn’t out shift me.
    I owned that bike for about seven years, so I knew exactly what I had and it put a huge smile on my face ever time I rode it. Just needed to get rid of it and my NT to get the “b” , don’t regret it a bit.
    When, not if, I get the new goldwing it’ll be a dct. I’m 53 now, really don’t need to pull up to stoplights and rev my engine anymore.

Good stuff. It's academic now the DCT I was looking at sold last night. But if I do end up with one of the new Goldwings, I am seriously considering the DCT. I would love to continue to hear comments pro and con.