Talk me into, or out of, DCT please - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me into, or out of, DCT please

I'm still waiting to test ride the DCT, but with some of the short comings being noted about the new GPS etc... I will probably be waiting for a while before buying something new. I'm planning on test riding a BMW this weekend. Still, probably be waiting.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I owned a Honda NM4 which was DCT only. It was my first jump into road riding after having been a dirt guy for the better part of 38 years, then taking a 5 year hiatus from riding altogether. I missed the clutch for about two days before I got use to the DCT. Once I moved up to the F6B, I actually missed having the DCT because it just seemed easier. Throttle response and shift response in sport mode was fantastic. After recently jumping on the new Goldwing Tour for some demo riding, the DCT hasn't lost it's vigor and it felt better, with an extra gear in there to boot. I gotta say, for the commute to work and back in heavy traffic, a DCT is, hands down, a much nicer thing to have. For riding in the country and long distance, it's just a nice thing not to have to deal with. I love my F6B though, even though I got a used 2013 without cruise control.

Of the several riders local (8 now) that have the new 2018s, they all seem to have something they don't like as much, but the DCT isn't on their list of cons...and all but one bought the DCT model, even though two stated back in December they would "NEVER" own a bike without a manual, both of them are hooked. I think Honda nailed it with their DCT models. Mode changing for conditions is really nice too.

Revzilla article regarding the suspension on the new Wing. Some of the comments in regards to the article are interesting and offer some points to ponder.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...-a-big-problem

I had a 2006 Yamaha FJR-1300 with electric shift and I also had a 2009 and a 2013 650 Burgman cause the 09 got hit by a car. I wanted to ditch the clutch when I was having troubles with left hand after I broke my wrist. All three bike transmissions had flaws. I grew to HATE not having the clutch to feather and control these bikes at low speed, especially the FJR. Gear shifting on the FJR was exactly the same as on a manual bike, but with no clutching. I HATED riding this bike at slow speeds in traffic because the bike would automatically shift down to first and then "hold" it in gear until I shifted it up. It sounds great until the thing shifts to first when you haven't quite stopped. The Burgies had a manual mode (electric shift with no clutch) and an automatic mode. Supposedly Suzuki had made major changes in 2013 to deal with complaints like mine with the transmission. I didn't notice much difference between them. My complaints: In automatic mode the bike "coasted" away from a stop on a downhill slope, then it would suddenly engage "first" gear when you applied any throttle and no matter the speed. This resulted in sudden jerking and skidding of the rear wheel on low traction surfaces. The only way to get the bike to avoid this behavior when starting down a hill was to switch it to "manual" mode manually, then put it into first, then shift to second. This sounds like a small thing... but it kind of made the automatic transmission less than useful when you live in and like to ride in the mountains and have to deal with gravel. And pushing the Burgies around the garage was a bear. The tranny always seemed to have some drag engaged... whether it was running or not. With both the FJR and Burgies there was no ability to feather the throttle when riding at low speeds-- really an issue when you are in a tight parking area and the engines were still revving high when they are still warming up.

So unless Honda has solved these issues... no DCT for me.

The Honda dual clutch transmission is a whole different animal than the Yamaha, Burgman or a centrifugal setup. You really just need to ride one to judge it for yourself. As stated, slow speed maneuvers are totally different. You use very gentle throttle and rear brake at walking speeds. You need to relearn how to ride a motorcycle in certain situations.., it took me quite a while to use dct at its full potential. After you are aquatinted with it, overall it does make riding more relaxing and less stressful. That, and as I stated before, it really is amazing what Honda R&D has done with this transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali261 View Post
    Revzilla article regarding the suspension on the new Wing. Some of the comments in regards to the article are interesting and offer some points to ponder.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...-a-big-problem
    That's a very good article. Thanks for posting it.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I think Honda has done their testing. 10 years ago you may have had an argument.
    No reason to be afraid of technology.
    The new bike is head and shoulder above the old wing. I've owned a 2013 and a 2016 so I speak from a position of experience.

Beagle

I like the DCT, but maybe I'm a little nostalgic and wary of adapting to it right away. I still feel like go fast cars are best with manual transmissions, even if the auto transmission can shift faster and smoother. Really, shouldn't a corvette have a manual transmission? The same with motorcycles. There are so few of us that even know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission these days. I think we'll have lost a little something when the next generation of cyclists won't know how to use a clutch-- and will think its crazy that previous generations had to shift gears with their foot!

I currently own a 2010 Vfr 1200 DCT. I think this is amazing technology. I normally ride in manual mode, which means I shift it up and down. Your still in control of the shifts, but you hit the buttons instead.Sport mode is a lot of fun when riding aggressively. The shifting is lightening quick. I seldom use drive mode. Although it’s handy in slow traffic.
    If you have an opportunity to ride a DCT, try it. It changed the way I look at riding.
    With that said, I’m in the market for a F6b. I need something with more comfort now. Plus it’s a beautiful bike, important
    If I could afford it, I would buy the new wing with DCT.

After 3000 Km on the tour DCT this is what I feel: the engine is not quiet and smooth as the B, the wind shield help with the buffing on your helmet but not on the side because of smaller fairing.
    I have Mustang seat and lowering kit on the B , with the tour DCT I felt like I am on it not like in the bike like the B. The plus from the tour is easy to corner , you don't get tired when stuck in rush hour traffic. The PLUS for me is the walking mode; with the inseam challenge like me. And with all the bells and whistle build in.

JB