Talk me into, or out of, DCT please - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Talk me into, or out of, DCT please

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
    After 3000 Km on the tour DCT this is what I feel: the engine is not quiet and smooth as the B, the wind shield help with the buffing on your helmet but not on the side because of smaller fairing.
    I have Mustang seat and lowering kit on the B , with the tour DCT I felt like I am on it not like in the bike like the B. The plus from the tour is easy to corner , you don't get tired when stuck in rush hour traffic. The PLUS for me is the walking mode; with the inseam challenge like me. And with all the bells and whistle build in.

JB
    I just rode the 6 spd last Saturday. Not far though. It was a short loop.I'd guess 4-5 miles at most. Not really far enough to get a good feel. He said as soon as the DCT was available ,he'd (salesman) call and he'd arrange a longer test ride. I got back on my B,which is heavily accessorized and customized and just thought, other than the cool feature of the electronic windshield, I'm not missing anything. The DCT might change my mind.

I rode from there and test rode a BMW K1600B for over 60 miles and got into some twisties. That was fun. Definitely some performance aspects that left me with some desire, but it wasn't nearly as comfortable as my B . Of course,I've done a lot to make my B comfy, like Helibars, all different suspension, Corbin seat and back rests etc...
    Last edited by Jimmytee; 04-26-2018 at 03:37 AM.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    I like the DCT, but maybe I'm a little nostalgic and wary of adapting to it right away. I still feel like go fast cars are best with manual transmissions, even if the auto transmission can shift faster and smoother. Really, shouldn't a corvette have a manual transmission? The same with motorcycles. There are so few of us that even know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission these days. I think we'll have lost a little something when the next generation of cyclists won't know how to use a clutch-- and will think its crazy that previous generations had to shift gears with their foot!
    I get your point, but on the same line, I don't miss having to kick start a bike. I think the technology advancements can enhance riding.

Quote Originally Posted by soupbean View Post
    , slow speed maneuvers are totally different. You use very gentle throttle and rear brake at walking speeds. You need to relearn how to ride a motorcycle in certain situations.., it took me quite a while to use dct at its full potential. After you are acquainted with it, overall it does make riding more relaxing and less stressful..
    I agree that I had to relearn how to ride a motorcycle at walking speeds. I never got the hang of it. As for the rest, lets just say that I was tired of using the rear brake to deal with the lack of clutch action, and learned not to trust the transmission on any of these bikes to do anything predictable when starting on a downhill slope. I did like riding the Burgman in city traffic more than any other bike I've ever owned. But I don't ride much in the city any more.

I've got about 2,000 miles on my Goldwing DCT and have never look back. The DCT really is amazing. After you get some miles under your belt, you really start to appreciate how much extra mental capacity is available for scanning traffic and just enjoying the ride.

I don't find the 2018 throttle all that Twitchy. My F6B had a much more sensitive throttle at low speed which warranted being on the clutch during all low speed maneuvers just in case. I've not had any problems with the 2018.

With the DCT you don't have to apply much braking before it starts to down-shift in front of you to provide engine braking. The more brake you apply, the faster it down-shifts. If I have my feet out on the Highway Pegs, I can just give it some Front Brake and it will start down-shifting to slow the bike down.

Compared to my former 2013 F6B (which I loved) the 2018 rides much smoother at speed and low speed ground handling is much better. Slow tight turns in the parking lot are a breeze, bike never feels like it wants to fall off to the left or right.

I really appreciate the info on DCT.I have and still contemplating the new wing and the DCT is what I would buy.Especially like what you say of slow and parking lot speeds .

I finally rode a new Wing with DCT, and loved it. I didn't think I would. The shifting is fast and smooth. Leaving stop lights and signs is fast and effortless. I got used to it really fast, and enjoyed how well it shifted and how easy it was to ride. The price point is the only obstacle for me. I would chane to/ride one in a heartbeat, just not willing to spend that money right now. When I do, it will be a DCT.