2018 Goldwing vs 2018 Yamaha Star Venture - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Goldwing vs 2018 Yamaha Star Venture

2018 F6B vs BMW K1600

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    Has anyone on here ridden both machines? If so, how do they compare?
    As much as I love my 2013, I would love to ride both of these bikes to make my own comparison. Has anyone here had the good fortune of riding both of these? Thoughts?

https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-hond...-grand-america

F6B vs BMW K1600.JPG

Ride Safe,

I test rode a k1600gtl (2018).
    Top heavy compared to f6b. F6b has more torque immediately available at low rpm. F6b is much quieter (2013).
    I found k1600 more comfortable. K1600 wind management fantastic. I loved the flip out wings which provided 10x more wind on rider than baker wings.
    K1600 twisty handling awesome but affected by vehicle wind on hiway. F6b much more stable on hiway.
    Wasn't bothered by k1600 weight at all.
    Was bothered by engine noise which really surprised me. Still considering a swap to a k1600.
    Trying to find something between my f6b and ninja 1000. May try 2018 wing. Won't consider Eluder or any large vtwin.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by JGF6B View Post
    Top heavy compared to f6b. F6b has more torque immediately available at low rpm. F6b is much quieter (2013).
    I found k1600 more comfortable. K1600 wind management fantastic. I loved the flip out wings which provided 10x more wind on rider than baker wings.
    K1600 twisty handling awesome but affected by vehicle wind on hiway. F6b much more stable on hiway.
    Was bothered by engine noise which really surprised me. Still considering a swap to a k1600.
    Trying to find something between my f6b and ninja 1000. May try 2018 wing. Won't consider Eluder or any large vtwin.
    There are two and a half things that appeal to me with a V-twin ...

1. The legroom / footspace available.
    2. The "shove" of low end torque and resulting push of acceleration that gives you without revving the motor much (able to short shift)
    .5 The sound of the V-twin ... I only give it.5 because I like it in short bursts, but it gets annoying over the longer term
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by JGF6B View Post

Do you have a BMW dealer nearby? I like th 1200 flat-twin motor that they use in a variety of bikes, but the local BMW bike dealer closed down a couple of years ago and there has no been a replacement since (which shocks me, because there are more BMW bikes around here than Wings). Nearest dealer is in Troy, 200 miles away.

FJR? Concours?
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Do you have a BMW dealer nearby? I like th 1200 flat-twin motor that they use in a variety of bikes, but the local BMW bike dealer closed down a couple of years ago and there has no been a replacement since (which shocks me, because there are more BMW bikes around here than Wings). Nearest dealer is in Troy, 200 miles away.

FJR? Concours?
    Had a 2013 FJR for a year, couldn't get comfortable. I think the pegs needed to be higher and further back for the bar position.
    Also test rode the RT1250R which I loved except for the engine. It felt and sounded like I was riding an old lawn tractor. Too used to GL1800 and inline 4s I guess. Comfort and suspension were amazing. With out the flipout wings that the K16 has, i worry the R1250RT will be hot in the summer.

Rode the f6b for the past two days, will ride the n1k for the next 2. Tough problems I have
    Riding the upward spiral.

Just back from a pit stop at the local Yamaha dealer.

I have wanted to test ride a Star Venture TC, and they, again, do not have one. The owner told me they can only get one if they order through a pre-sale. Also, another thing I did not know, is that there was not a 2019 model for this bike. Apparently, it was such a poor seller as a 2018, that they stopped production until they could clear out 2018 inventory. It will be back as a 2020 model.

The owner did a dealer search for me across New York State. There are three 2018 TCs for sale - one in Buffalo, one in Syracuse, one in Elmira. She suggested I go to Americade in Lake George to do a demo ride next week.

She said that Yamaha is very disappointed and surprised with the response to this bike. I am not sure how many of us are; the V-twin bagger/touring market is only so big, and its primary consumers get a year older every year, and 75% percent of their business is already owned by HD and Indian.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Surprise it it is a poor seller. Let’s see, it is overweight and under powered to begin with. No shaft drive, no liquid cooling. Plus it is over priced. Very similar to a Harley but without the following and the comradely. I will take a HD Touring bike any day of the week over the Star if I wanted a big V Twin. I guess Yamaha was not thinking when the other metric manufacturers stop producing large V Twins due to poor sales. No Kawasaki Vulcan 2000, no Suzuki C109, no Honda 1800 V Twin. These bikes were too big for the average market buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Just back from a pit stop at the local Yamaha dealer.

I have wanted to test ride a Star Venture TC, and they, again, do not have one. The owner told me they can only get one if they order through a pre-sale. Also, another thing I did not know, is that there was not a 2019 model for this bike. Apparently, it was such a poor seller as a 2018, that they stopped production until they could clear out 2018 inventory. It will be back as a 2020 model.

The owner did a dealer search for me across New York State. There are three 2018 TCs for sale - one in Buffalo, one in Syracuse, one in Elmira. She suggested I go to Americade in Lake George to do a demo ride next week.

She said that Yamaha is very disappointed and surprised with the response to this bike. I am not sure how many of us are; the V-twin bagger/touring market is only so big, and its primary consumers get a year older every year, and 75% percent of their business is already owned by HD and Indian.

Quote Originally Posted by Joflewbyu2 View Post
    Surprise it it is a poor seller. Let’s see, it is overweight and under powered to begin with. No shaft drive, no liquid cooling. Plus it is over priced. Very similar to a Harley but without the following and the comradely. I will take a HD Touring bike any day of the week over the Star if I wanted a big V Twin. I guess Yamaha was not thinking when the other metric manufacturers stop producing large V Twins due to poor sales. No Kawasaki Vulcan 2000, no Suzuki C109, no Honda 1800 V Twin. These bikes were too big for the average market buyer.
    Yep, I think that is what is going on. The bike has a lot of attributes ... tons of storage, great infotainment, top notch build quality and hardware ... but ... its a dying segment of the market that they all of a sudden decided to compete in. It's similar to Toyota or Nissan trying to make a big splash in personal luxury cars in 2019 when that market died out in the early 90s.

If the Star had a liquid cooled V4 or even a liquid cooled twin, it would at least partially tap into the BMW and Wing markets, arguably ... though I do not profess to be a marketing guru on bikes.

--------

Meanwhile, I sat on a new Wing and once again feel like it fits me like a glove. It will likely be my next bike. Drives me nuts that it makes that much sense.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

When I first laid eyes on the New Venture I walked right past it without giving it a good look. Thought it was gaudy looking.
    The next time I climbed up on it for a minuet. Couldn't get it off the kick stand with the force I thought was appropriate.
    The salesman watching me came over and the first thing out of his mouth was how much it weighted.
    I have seen one here in the Youngstown, Akron, Canton area. The guy had to really give it a good tug to get it up.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    When I first laid eyes on the New Venture I walked right past it without giving it a good look. Thought it was gaudy looking.
    The next time I climbed up on it for a minuet. Couldn't get it off the kick stand with the force I thought was appropriate.
    The salesman watching me came over and the first thing out of his mouth was how much it weighted.
    I have seen one here in the Youngstown, Akron, Canton area. The guy had to really give it a good tug to get it up.
    What about the bike?
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6