20 mile Corbin check in

Thread: 20 mile Corbin check in

20 mile Corbin check in

Today has been the first sunny day it what seems weeks.

Perfect time to put the new heated Corbin seat on.

So far, I like it. I can feel the support on my outer hips, which is missing from the stock seat. Also, I notice the Corbin weighs twice as much and seems to have significantly more padding than the Honda seat. The quality of the seat seems top notch.

I do get that "sitting in a baseball glove" feeling, but I seem to be at the same riding height as before. Corbin claims a 28" seat height and stock is 28.5" I am slightly more reclined and slightly more spread out, if that makes sense.

Yes, it is firm, which results in feeling more bumps than on the stock seat. However, I was warned about the initial firmness and I am okay with that as the seat breaks in ... plus, I prefer the firm support over sinking into a soft seat over time.

I will check in periodically.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Corbin makes a thick HD seat pan. That might account for the extra weight. If you like firm, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Thanks for the update. Thinking of getting one myself.

Update:

250 miles in at this point.

This is a firm seat - as others say - but this is not a bad thing, at least for me! Soft = sag, which gets uncomfortable quickly. I urge any potential seat buyer to consider that a firm seat = long range support.

I notice that the seat has started to break in around my bum and form a glove around my flat, wide posterior.

The design of the seat does EXACTLY what I need ... I now have support on outside of my hips and there is some minor support under my thighs, about 1/4 of way below my hips, towards my knees. This takes the pressure off the core area around my crack and spreads it around my duff, holds up my hips on the outside, and even disburses my weight to the thighs.

I rode about 1.5 hours straight, with only a 1-2 minute break halfway through, without any issues. On the stock seat, I would be getting hot spots, soreness, and even some numbing.

I am not crazy about how the Corbin sits you "in" the bike a little more as a result of that baseball glove support configuration, which results in a slightly reclined position. I find my left hand hanging from the left grip, rather than gripping it, while cruising now. I may need to bring the bars a little further back. I also notice how this slightly reclined, very slightly lower position reduces visibility over the fairing and I see a lot more of the gauges, bars, even glovebox. The bottom of my line of sight on the stock seat began at the bars. I prefer to sit "up" and "on" rather than "back" and "in". This is the sacrifice I made to get on the Corbin, which I felt was the best overall seat for me.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first, I realized how much the soft, stock seat played a role in the plushness of the ride of the F6B. With a hard Corbin in place, I noticed right away that the rear suspension set up has issues (still at factory setting - max soft).

Just tonight, I cranked up the preload (wait...is this a preload adjustment or a damper?), initially to the first line on the adjustment cylinder, took a quick ride. Noticeably better. Move it up to the third line (half way between soft and hard) and it got even better.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Hope you never have any problems with Corbin.

They are horrible when it comes to communications.

I decided on a Corbin because I really liked the one I had on my Valkyrie.

However, several Emails then phone calls later, they said 'Oh, our internet is down'. That could happen.

About a week after I ordered my new seat from them and while waiting for the manufacture and delivery, I had an additional question. Emailed again. Again, no response. Again, 'Oh, still having internet problems'. Really!? B.S.!

Fortunately, I've not had any problems with the new seat. BUT, I wanted to find out if the "A" shaped passenger backrest was still available so -- once again -- emailed them. Still no response 2 weeks later.

I'm done with them

Quote Originally Posted by gadgeteer View Post
    Hope you never have any problems with Corbin.

They are horrible when it comes to communications.

I decided on a Corbin because I really liked the one I had on my Valkyrie.

However, several Emails then phone calls later, they said 'Oh, our internet is down'. That could happen.

About a week after I ordered my new seat from them and while waiting for the manufacture and delivery, I had an additional question. Emailed again. Again, no response. Again, 'Oh, still having internet problems'. Really!? B.S.!

Fortunately, I've not had any problems with the new seat. BUT, I wanted to find out if the "A" shaped passenger backrest was still available so -- once again -- emailed them. Still no response 2 weeks later.

I'm done with them
    Bad service sucks. I only had two interactions with Corbin, first the online order using their website, which was easy and straightforward; then, I called on the Saturday after I ordered it to possibly change something and the person that answered was a salesman who was able to help me directly.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

1000 mile update.

This is exactly the seat I needed. It has softened up a tad, and conformed to my booty as advertised. Very, very comfortable if you are picky about having support, like I am. As mentioned above, I have thigh support, hip support and the sides and everything feels like it fits my ass just right.

Again...even though it is broken in now, this is a firm seat! To me, that is a good thing! To others, possibly not.

I stopped at a friend's house and sat on the bike for an hour chatting, then rode home 45 minutes. No soreness, hot spots, fatigue.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

For my 2005, 1700 Road Star, I had a Corbin with the Snake Skin (black & grey) made also had them cover my back rest the same time. I ask them send a piece of scrap material & I used that to cover my small tank bra. Man, it looked great ! I loved it riding around town for short trips but on anything over a hour, it was just too hard for my screwed up back.
    I'll say this, if you like a firm seat, you'll like a Corbin.
    When I ordered it, I had no problem placing the order, getting the back rest covered or the piece of scrap to cover my small bra. That was the only time I had contact with them. I had no need for after sale service. I've heard some folks have had service problems.
    I've since gone to the Russell Day Longs, I now have 3. I could brag on them forever.
    And that's my 2 cents worth.

If your Corbin is anything like mine (3 years & counting) it never breaks in. I could kick myself for thinking it would be more comfortable than the stock seat!

Quote Originally Posted by fishingtom View Post
    If your Corbin is anything like mine (3 years & counting) it never breaks in. I could kick myself for thinking it would be more comfortable than the stock seat!
    I've used "light impact therapy" with a ball peen hammer so soften Corbins in the past.
    My Smuggler has BeadRiders and the firmness has been dissipated over the last 90,000 miles.
    Good luck,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce