Test rode the 18 GW, Eluder and the K1600B today

Thread: Test rode the 18 GW, Eluder and the K1600B today

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Test rode the 18 GW, Eluder and the K1600B today

So it was a nice day. Rode my F6B up to a dealer to ride the 18 Wing Tour. It was a blue 6 spd manual. They didn't have a DCT for me to try. They had one in a crate and said he'd call me when it was ready for an extended test ride. Not sure what that means to them as the very short test ride I got to do on the Wing and the Eluder was just a tease. I took the Wing out first. Rode only like 5-8 miles in a loop. I was able to get it up to above 70 in one portion, but it was a short ride over all. I like what I got to try. It is definitely lighter picking it off the side stand. It definitely has the impression of a smaller bike becuase of the obvious things like the fairing. It feels pretty nimble. But that's about it. When I got back there was also a Yamaha Eluder there to ride. Same loop. I could see the apeal in one respect. Definitely a different animal with the V-twin. But in my short ride I did hit the rev limiter without even trying. It seemed very smooth over all. Definitely ,though, wouldn't be my pick. But I like the styling.

I left there and went to another dealer who sells Harley and BMW motorcycles. I had stopped by there during the week a couple weeks ago and said I'd be back. The guy got the bike out of the show room and said "I'm turning you loose", with no other instructions. I took the bike immediately onto the interstate and just trying to get aquainted to this new ride. I noticed it did seem to get buffeted around a bit easier than my F6B does from trucks etc... I went about 20 miles to an area where I knew I could cut loose a little in some twisty roads. The bike is a hoot. Has a good deal of power as most already know. However, that power, while being smooth and fairly broad, isn't as linear as our flat 6s. It required a bit more judicious shiffting to keep her sweet. But when you do that, she gets up and goes in a hurry. Without even really trying, I felt the front wheel pop up through the first 3 gears. I tried to repeat a little but the traction control took over.
    My biggest issue with the K1600B----- I wanted to really love it. However, having been on it for a hour or so, I realized that ,for me, the handlebars really needed to come back a bit, and I guess on this B, the seat is a little lower than say the GT which puts a little more bend in my knees than what I would find comfortable for an all day ride. My left knee was starting to complain . This B had the optional forward floor boards, which are nice, sort of. With the handlebars where they are, putting your feet on the floorboards feels a little awkward to really be a comfortable alternative.
    There is a riser kit from Helibars that will bring the bars back 1.25" and up 1". That might be the solution. They cost $89 which isn't too bad considering I paid $800 for my handlebars on my F6B. But then there is a whole lot more to those than some blocks and scews basically.

I headed back with over 65 miles tested on the B. Turns out , I could have been out for as long as I wanted. Here I was thinking I needed to get back. He said I could go bacl out if I wanted. I was ok. Sat on a GT and I think it felt better in the seat foot peg relationship, but I think that's because the seat is a little taller.

I got on my F6B and you know I immediately thought, boy, this bike is sure comfy.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jimmytee; 04-21-2018 at 10:58 PM.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"