Test rode the 18 GW, Eluder and the K1600B today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test rode the 18 GW, Eluder and the K1600B today

Test rode the 18 GW, Eluder and the K1600B today

So it was a nice day. Rode my F6B up to a dealer to ride the 18 Wing Tour. It was a blue 6 spd manual. They didn't have a DCT for me to try. They had one in a crate and said he'd call me when it was ready for an extended test ride. Not sure what that means to them as the very short test ride I got to do on the Wing and the Eluder was just a tease. I took the Wing out first. Rode only like 5-8 miles in a loop. I was able to get it up to above 70 in one portion, but it was a short ride over all. I like what I got to try. It is definitely lighter picking it off the side stand. It definitely has the impression of a smaller bike becuase of the obvious things like the fairing. It feels pretty nimble. But that's about it. When I got back there was also a Yamaha Eluder there to ride. Same loop. I could see the apeal in one respect. Definitely a different animal with the V-twin. But in my short ride I did hit the rev limiter without even trying. It seemed very smooth over all. Definitely ,though, wouldn't be my pick. But I like the styling.

I left there and went to another dealer who sells Harley and BMW motorcycles. I had stopped by there during the week a couple weeks ago and said I'd be back. The guy got the bike out of the show room and said "I'm turning you loose", with no other instructions. I took the bike immediately onto the interstate and just trying to get aquainted to this new ride. I noticed it did seem to get buffeted around a bit easier than my F6B does from trucks etc... I went about 20 miles to an area where I knew I could cut loose a little in some twisty roads. The bike is a hoot. Has a good deal of power as most already know. However, that power, while being smooth and fairly broad, isn't as linear as our flat 6s. It required a bit more judicious shiffting to keep her sweet. But when you do that, she gets up and goes in a hurry. Without even really trying, I felt the front wheel pop up through the first 3 gears. I tried to repeat a little but the traction control took over.
    My biggest issue with the K1600B----- I wanted to really love it. However, having been on it for a hour or so, I realized that ,for me, the handlebars really needed to come back a bit, and I guess on this B, the seat is a little lower than say the GT which puts a little more bend in my knees than what I would find comfortable for an all day ride. My left knee was starting to complain . This B had the optional forward floor boards, which are nice, sort of. With the handlebars where they are, putting your feet on the floorboards feels a little awkward to really be a comfortable alternative.
    There is a riser kit from Helibars that will bring the bars back 1.25" and up 1". That might be the solution. They cost $89 which isn't too bad considering I paid $800 for my handlebars on my F6B. But then there is a whole lot more to those than some blocks and scews basically.

I headed back with over 65 miles tested on the B. Turns out , I could have been out for as long as I wanted. Here I was thinking I needed to get back. He said I could go bacl out if I wanted. I was ok. Sat on a GT and I think it felt better in the seat foot peg relationship, but I think that's because the seat is a little taller.

I got on my F6B and you know I immediately thought, boy, this bike is sure comfy.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jimmytee; 04-21-2018 at 10:58 PM.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Very good reviews, paticularly wanted to know of the new wing and BMW..I have thought of the new wing dct but the f6b is just a very good motorcycle. Tough to beat the big girl with outdated electronics. Thanks for the feedback it is very appreciated

JimmyTee, thanks for the reviews. Sounds like you had a full day of it. I was disappointed to find out the BMW's have no tip-over protectors.

I could really dig the K1600B if I could get it comfortable. The power and cornering clearance would be intoxicating. The growl the engine makes when putting it through it's paces. Since I posted this, I'm thinking it would take an RDL seat and the handlebar risers to make it so.

BMW Dealers

I've had similar experiences with BMW dealers. Years ago, when I wanted to test one of their bikes, I asked the salesman what route I should ride. He answered 'I don't care, just have it back here by closing time'.

That was their attitude. I didn't know until I got back that they were open until 7. I could have been out another 2-3 hours without so muchas a blink of an eye from them.

Nice write up Jimmy.
    I would like to ride that BMW as well, just to see. I would think the ride position would be like the FJR I had. It was fun to ride and pretty fast. I liked the traction control. Just twist the throttle and go. But the FJR to me was a pain in the shoulders from the riding position and a pain in the ass, the seat became hard after awhile.

I want to ride the new Goldwing too ofcourse. I keep reading so much negativity about it. I just want to see for myself. I want to like it.

The F6B is by far the most comfortable ride so far, and I liked my Valkyrie almost as much.

Quote Originally Posted by nvmyf6 View Post
    Nice write up Jimmy.
    I would like to ride that BMW as well, just to see. I would think the ride position would be like the FJR I had. It was fun to ride and pretty fast. I liked the traction control. Just twist the throttle and go. But the FJR to me was a pain in the shoulders from the riding position and a pain in the ass, the seat became hard after awhile.

I want to ride the new Goldwing too ofcourse. I keep reading so much negativity about it. I just want to see for myself. I want to like it.

The F6B is by far the most comfortable ride so far, and I liked my Valkyrie almost as much.
    I didn't get the same opportunity with the 18 Wing that I got with the K1600B. Only rode it for a tease, but what I did ride impressed me. Now I rode the 6 spd, and I was promised an opportunity to ride the DCT for a longer ride when it is available. The GW Tour has familiar ergos though, and so I don't imagine comfort will be much of an issue in that regards. As far as negativity on the new GW, most of the criticisms have been around the GPS. I haven't really tried to use the GPS, but from what I read, some are resorting to mounting Garmins on their new 18 Wings, which is a shame. Hope is that Honda will address these issues and maybe the lack of Android Auto in a firmware update.

Both my F6B and my Valkyrie are very comfortable, but got to be realistic there too, because neither is stock. I have taller risers and Ultimate seat with back rests on my Valkyrie, plus highway pegs. I have Helibars, Corbin with back rests and Ergo III highway pegs on my F6B.

thanks for the info
    great read

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I didn't get the same opportunity with the 18 Wing that I got with the K1600B. Only rode it for a tease, but what I did ride impressed me. Now I rode the 6 spd, and I was promised an opportunity to ride the DCT for a longer ride when it is available. The GW Tour has familiar ergos though, and so I don't imagine comfort will be much of an issue in that regards. As far as negativity on the new GW, most of the criticisms have been around the GPS. I haven't really tried to use the GPS, but from what I read, some are resorting to mounting Garmins on their new 18 Wings, which is a shame. Hope is that Honda will address these issues and maybe the lack of Android Auto in a firmware update.

Both my F6B and my Valkyrie are very comfortable, but got to be realistic there too, because neither is stock. I have taller risers and Ultimate seat with back rests on my Valkyrie, plus highway pegs. I have Helibars, Corbin with back rests and Ergo III highway pegs on my F6B.
    Yes, I hope they figure out the GPS issue. Also I read about a suspension issue with the electronic suspension, with what feels like the rear wheel bouncing. I'm not sure what that's all about.
    I still want to ride one, see for myself.