FM Radio Antenna Question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FM Radio Antenna Question

FM Radio Antenna Question

I have noticed that the FM radio on my bike fades fairly quickly as I leave town. I've tested it, its properly grounded and connected. I suspect its performance (lack thereof) is due to its short length. Does anyone know of a longer antenna rod that can be swapped out by simply removing the short rod (which unscrews) with a longer one?

Fixed mine last week! Put an XM Radio on her! Will never listen to terrestrial again!

There are replacement kits out there that have adapters that will allow you to add a longer one if that is what you are looking for.
    I thing the solution here maybe another source for your music. Our radios are really there for local entertainment only.
    The draw back here is other that the thumb drive any other source will probably cost something.

XM Radio used to be a neat concept. No commercials and no talk. Now they have these irritating DJ's babbling between songs. Once again, a great media concept has been ruined.

Just as cable TV has been ruined.

No XM Radio for me. I'm not paying to listen to eff'in idiots ruin a set of songs being played...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I agree some of the different formats have more talk then others. I chose the mostly music option which is the cheapest way to go. The formats I listen too have very little DJ interaction.
    I mostly chose XM as I got tired of wanting to occasionally listen to some music on longer rides and got tired of having to constantly try and find a station that would come in on our limited
    radio reception systems. Thought about going to JimmyT direction , but end the end I had an old Sky Fy unit in the dust bin and went that direction. It has turned riding into a more pleasurable
    experience for me!

Xm used to be better. Now the music stations replay a 4 or 5 hour loop. If you are traveling on a trip you have to change channels to keep from hearing sand songs over and over. Costs have risen a lot too.

Well FM killed AM, MTV killed FM, XM killed MTV, Try and read a newspaper today after sorting out all the adds, Go back and try and listen to AM or FM today is a painful experience due to all the
    advertising trying to sell you something. Don't get me started on Local or National TV and try and watch a TV show today. They have about 20 minutes of actual program and 40 minutes of advertising
    for an hour show. To be honest, I did like the old day's better, guess I am just showing my age, but I digress, Looking at our beloved B's, what are we to do? Only other option is an I Pod, and guess
    what they are getting ready to stop making these as well! Got any other options to suggest?

getting back on topic

So... now that we all agree that tv and radio sux....
    Back to my original topic........ Does anyone have any decent advice about replacing the short black rubber duck antenna with a better one???

Quote Originally Posted by dadeo View Post
    So... now that we all agree that tv and radio sux....
    Back to my original topic........ Does anyone have any decent advice about replacing the short black rubber duck antenna with a better one???
    I replaced my radio antenna with a CB antenna. And for my music, I loaded my favorite songs on a USB thumb drive that I plugged into the USB connection in the left side bag.

So a CB radio antenna improves FM reception? Interesting!