FM Radio Antenna Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FM Radio Antenna Question

Here is an option that may not be what you are looking for. I have the same reception issues in my area. I bought myself and my wife helmets with built in Bluetooth. I can listen to Waze, Iheart Radio, Amazon Music and Pandora. So far it has been great. I do have over 6 hours of music on my usb drive, but I enjoy the Mark Levin podcast, and now I don’t have to miss a single one. Basically, whatever I have on my phone, I can listen to in my helmet. I bought the “B” used and it came with a helmet, and of course I had to buy a replacement that same week. I do like the way the CB antenna looks though.
    Last edited by Cali261; 04-30-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nvmyf6 View Post
    I replaced my radio antenna with a CB antenna. And for my music, I loaded my favorite songs on a USB thumb drive that I plugged into the USB connection in the left side bag.
    More details please...
    How do you mount the cb antenna? Do you need a completely new mount, or can you use the same base? What brand/model did you use? How much does it improve FM reception -- does reception on the NOAA weather radio get better too? Improved Weather Radio reception is what I'd really like.

FM radio in upstate must be stuck in the 1970, we still have lots of locally owned small town stations. WXHC out of Cortland NY, for example.. Kind of amature, but local DJs, local ads, news, and not too much talking. Owned by 2 local guys who never grew up... They'll play anything as longs as its rock from before 2000, and they have local news and ads. And NPR is everywhere, thank god.

I've got a 128 Gig stick in the trunk, love it. Streaming thru the cell phone is iffy up here. Most of upstate NY is rural state owned parkland with 1X service at best. With the exception of Lake Placid and Lake George areas, in the Catskills and Adiroundacks there are no cell phone towers. Its all state parks. Meaning no service at all. In much of the rest of upstate, service is voice only once you get more than 20 miles away from an Interstate.

Has anyone figured out how the f6b's radio file management system works with a memory stick in the trunk? I swear every time I add any songs to mine, it changes the directory order, and I've got no idea what the logic is. What starts out as alphabetical on my Windows PC, turns into a pretty random list on the bike.

Sure.
    I replaced my "rubber duck" antenna with a more useful antenna for me. I don't use the FM radio. So I added a CB to my bike which requires a CB antenna.

Now, I do listen to music. I loaded my favorite songs on a USB thumb drive that I plugged in the USB connection in the left side bag.

This USB thumb drive idea, is a great way to listen to music without having to listen FM radio or AM radio.

Some F6B riders may not know about the USB Connection in the left side bag.

CB antennas are not used for AM/FM radio. I thought that was common knowledge. I apologize for any confusion.

I simply replaced the Rubber Duck antenna with a better/useful antenna for me.

Glad I could help, have fun and ride safe.

ok that makes more sense! I was wondering how an antena designed for the lower frequences of the CB band would drive an FM radio.

Re CB radio... how/who is using it these days. Heck I am old enough to remember when everbody had one in the 1970s in cars. Heck I can remember when they only had 23 channels, and how much of an improvement the 40 channel single side band radio was.

Quote Originally Posted by dadeo View Post
    ok that makes more sense! I was wondering how an antena designed for the lower frequences of the CB band would drive an FM radio.

Re CB radio... how/who is using it these days. Heck I am old enough to remember when everbody had one in the 1970s in cars. Heck I can remember when they only had 23 channels, and how much of an improvement the 40 channel single side band radio was.
    The guys that I ride with all the time have CBs, so I installed one on my F6B. Good and reliable, but Honda stuff is always expensive, and the B is not set up for a CB. I installed the CB antenna in place of the shorty FM and am using a Midland 75-822 portable in the left cubby and to my BT Sena 20S EVO via a SENA SR10. More money than I wanted to spend, but less than Honda stuff, it is a clean installation, and it works really well.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

F6Bster sounds like you have a great setup there for the CB. I ride with some guys with full Wings and they, of course, use their CBs all the time. I am like "Tommy" (deaf/dumb/blind boy from The Who) when they are chattering. Can you provide some directions and photos if your setup.

Many thanks,
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    F6Bster sounds like you have a great setup there for the CB. I ride with some guys with full Wings and they, of course, use their CBs all the time. I am like "Tommy" (deaf/dumb/blind boy from The Who) when they are chattering. Can you provide some directions and photos if your setup.

Many thanks,
    Here is the link to the thread with my original post:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?1...383#post163383
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Thanks, I have saved this so I can check into getting parts. Parts departments around here are all closed Mondays. sigh
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

OK so I have with held any commentary since went off track yesterday BUT The ORIGINAL Question is I believe, And Dadeo you asked it so correct me if I am wrong, How does one improve FM
    reception on our B's? Looks like everyone has worked around it it seems.......

I live and ride mostly in the mountains and decided quickly that radio wasnt going to work. With that I tried the thumb drive which had limited control on what song is next eventually went to an IPOD with 4 days of music from my library.My GW buddies have CB but I'm not sure I want to listen to them chatter while I'm riding. I do like the single antenna setup though so not ruling it out completely. Just me but sometimes I just want to hear the engine and the wind...
    I have no idea if an antenna will fix the reception problem..