I'll just keep it...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll just keep it...

I'll just keep it...

Upon its release, I immediately had visions of a brand new GW in a couple of years. DCT, airbag model.

Over the winter, I slowly worked through the installation of Tridium LED fog lights, Baker wings, a new front tire, and a heated Corbin seat.

I really enjoyed working on the bike, researching how to do things using this site and You Tube, putting my amateur engineering hat on to come up with creative solutions. Plus, this bike, as you know, is relatively easy to work on.

With about 700 miles so far this Spring, I have realized that this 2013 F6B is a pretty nice machine for what it is. An old design that dates back to the Clinton administration, it handles very well, rides reasonably good, and with the features I have added, have made it borderline luxury bike. I just sit back in my Corbin seat, enjoy the breeze with little or no buffeting thanks to my Stadmad, jamming tunes, looking around knowing that I am one of the more visible bikes with all of my lights...while realizing that you don't need a $30,000 machine to create this experience.

No ABS.

Yes, that is a big concern of mine. However, I am not certain that ABS is worth nearly $20,000, which is what it would cost to upgrade. Instead, I am taking that money and investing in more safety through visibility; best helmets and gear; I am signed up for the Advanced Rider Course, will probably attend a Ride Like a Pro course one of these days, and other training.

No Cruise.

It's true, I wish I had it. However, there are many options. If I really felt like it, I would drop $1k on one of those electronic aftermarket units from Australia (forgot the name). Still way cheaper than a new Wing.

So, why bother with the new one? I like the fact that I have invested my own time, money, creativity and energy into this one. Of its roughly 16,800 miles, I am the rider of each and every one of those miles. There's something about that I like.

Another thing I have noticed - all of the quirks of this 20 year old design - the saddlebag design, for example - are now kinda "aww, they meant well" in my mind. No longer annoying, these features pale in comparison to the absolute bulletproof reliability, decades-old network of know-how and aftermarket, you guys and gals, and the fact it still is quite a pleasure to ride...perhaps the new Wing is 10% better than mine...but that's not enough for me.

I'll just keep riding this one into the sunset.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I agree.
    Frank Ferrante
    2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

I also agree. I have looked at and ridden the 2018 Wing and it is a great bike, but my 2015 F6B is also very good motorcycle. It is the most satisfying motorcycle that I have ever owned. It has carried me to 35 states in just over 50,000 miles and I plan on keeping it. Maybe one day I will feel the need for a new one but currently I am quite happy with what I have.

+1 = I might trade even (no $$$) my '13 for a '18 after lots of thought. I really, really like my '13 B

+2 Have not rode the 18 yet but I love my 13 B as well, Paid off and will enjoy it many years in retirement.

+3, Best bike I have ever owned.

2013 F6B
    2016 Spyder F3 Ltd

+4 I was thinking hard & heavy on the new one also but just don't think I'd be happy with the narrower body. I'm a big fellow & like the big wide body & faring of my '13. It still turns heads & makes me smile.

VStar, I agree with you that you need absolutely nothing in order to have one of the nicest riding experiences out there with your '13 B. This is an unbelievably fine machine. The 18 is a new kind of wonder for sure, but in my modest income bracket, I'm certainly not new to fantastic innovations being too much of a financial stretch. I count myself extremely lucky to have a 16, and have lots left to do with it before all is said and done. I would encourage you, though, if you ever feel froggy, to jump at installing the cruise. I've never had one before this bike and wow is it nice. I drove 200 miles yesterday in some hills and pretty heavy winds and the cruise kept my speed rock steady without wearing me out.

Regards and lots of happy miles to you.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    VStar, I agree with you that you need absolutely nothing in order to have one of the nicest riding experiences out there with your '13 B. This is an unbelievably fine machine. The 18 is a new kind of wonder for sure, but in my modest income bracket, I'm certainly not new to fantastic innovations being too much of a financial stretch. I count myself extremely lucky to have a 16, and have lots left to do with it before all is said and done. I would encourage you, though, if you ever feel froggy, to jump at installing the cruise. I've never had one before this bike and wow is it nice. I drove 200 miles yesterday in some hills and pretty heavy winds and the cruise kept my speed rock steady without wearing me out.

Regards and lots of happy miles to you.

Jason
    Verismo, I just may go for the cruise. I spent a few days before purchasing the '13 deciding whether or not a '15 with cruise was worth it to me for an additional $3000 (this was a Deluxe model), but it was a blue one, I didn't have the money, and 95% of my miles are on two lane country and mountain roads in upstate NY that do not have many stretches that allow for setting cruise on a bike, car, or anything.

In the event I do a long interstate trip, I will get some sort of throttle lock.

I think I am more likely to make a move to buy a leftover full Wing or a lightly used one at this point vs $30,000 for a new one configured the way I want.

Maybe someday, but not now.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

My dealer had an Gold Wing night with a tech rep, videos, and refreshments. New bike is nice but it would cost me $20k OTD along with my 13 B for a new Wing Tour. Just cant write that check. Like others have said I'll stick with my 13 and see if there are any deals on 2015-2016 Full wings or even a newer B with cruise next year.